Old 01-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #21
Veteran Member

RE: Your idea of a perfect Anchorage?

"Scenic beauty (almost guaranteed).

Being the only boat is nice, but other boats often add to the ambience.* The variety of fishermen and cruisers we see is a pleasure, and in such remote country there's not too much loud music/partying."

Richard:

I have no idea what you're talkin' about ...

OS

Old_Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:56 AM   #22
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
Old_Salt wrote:
Richard:

I have no idea what you're talkin' about ...
Great shot!

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:50 AM   #23

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Isobel K
Vessel Model: 37' Custom Pilothouse

Stern tied in a well protected spot.

Shrimp pot bouy within sight of the boat.

77 degree water for swimming

85 degree air temp

Surrounded by steep hills

An iced Mint Julep

This particular photo is all of the above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	4325  
bshanafelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #24
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

B Shan:
I have your picture, blown up to 16x24, up on my family room wall. It was taken one hot august afternoon, with Retreat tied back to the little island your boat is facing, and no other boats in sight. The water was over 75 deg F and life is good! That pic was before digital cameras, so I can't post it. Need I say that is an anchorage I try to get to every summer.
Anywhere in Pendrell Sound is good, but from that spot you can actually get to shore for a long walk along the logging roads. I have gone all the way to Raza Passage, about 5 miles.
Now that I know, I'll watch for you there. I don't carry the fixings for mint julep, so I'll be over. I do carry supplies for other tasty hot weather drinks.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:01 PM   #25

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Isobel K
Vessel Model: 37' Custom Pilothouse

Hi Keith,

I have been on the walk - there is a newer road (2009) that parellels the inlet heading SW somewhat.

You are certainly welcome to a julep - It has become my preffered afternoon drink of choice since a visit to New Orleans a few years ago.

I too think Pendrell must be one notch shy of heaven. Who woulda thought you could dive off your boat without a wetsuit north of Cabo?

This pic is at the end of the sound - I use it as a desktop on my computer
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	desol.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	4330  
bshanafelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:39 PM   #26
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40

I believe everybody that does Desolation Sound has one of these shots.. about as good as it gets in the PNW... and before the summer crowd gets there its about perfect
HOLLYWOOD
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	julies pics 2008 055.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	4331  
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #27

Your idea of a perfect Anchorage?

Well its good that my vote was with the majority...

We like out of the way places with few other boats, preferably on the lee side of an island to offer a little protection.

Cumberland Island GA offers us one of those spots; and it is loaded with history

-- Edited by marinetrader on Thursday 20th of January 2011 03:05:07 PM
marinetrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:19 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

So where does the warm water come from in Pendrall???? I don't exactly think "warmth" with snow capped mountains in the background......
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #29
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy

Quote:
Baker wrote:

So where does the warm water come from in Pendrall???? I don't exactly think "warmth" with snow capped mountains in the background......
********* I would like to know about this too.* Always thought those places had ice cold water all year.** JohnP

JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #30
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Hiya,
** No peeing in the pool...
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #31
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

About 8 years ago My wife and I were on a Lindblad Expedition in SE Alaska. There was a school teacher (about 50 years old) who had paid for a round trip ticket & had been on board for about 3 weeks. One day, as we were anchored, she told the skipper she wanted to take a swim. He obliged and they went off in a Zodiac to the base of the granite mountain (in our anchorage) that had baked in the sun all day. Dressed in a regular bathing suite, she dove in and paddled around for quite a while. Staying close to the granite mountain (not more than 10-15' away) she said the water was "quite nice" and the swim was very enjoyable. Although I really wanted to prove/disprove this statement, I never mustered up the guts to try it. Since that cruise, I have learned that this is not such a big secret. That is to say that, yes indeed, you can swim in the relatively warm water close to a "sun baked granite mountain."*

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Thursday 20th of January 2011 03:55:37 PM
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #32
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy

You learn something everyday!!!!!
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #33
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

Walt is telling you about diurnal warmth. dependent on a larger rock will get you warmth only where there are large rocks to be warmed, then immersed. That is not what Pendrell has.

Pendrell has genuinely warm water every summer, hence its attraction. The warmth comes from a relative lack of stirring up of the colder water that is deeper. It is like a lake, in that the water flows in and out of a relatively small inlet. To add to the preservation of warmth, the Desolation Sound area is approximately equidistant from each of the access points to the colder Pacific Ocean water, around the south end of Vancouver Island and around the north end. So the water in Desolation Sound generally just goes up and down with the tides, while the water northwest through any of the passes moves long distances at considerable speed, getting mixed with the cold Pacific water, as does the water in the Gulf Islands or around Victoria.

Generally, Desolation Sound reaches 70 deg F every year, and Pendrell 75 degrees (that's 21 and 24 degrees C). We had the water colour in Pendrell change to crystal clear blue, resembling the Caribbean one very warm summer, as the plankton that thrive in cold waters, and give it that dark greenish colour, all retreated to depths where it was colder, or something, in 75 to 80 (24 to 27 C) water.

I own a wetsuit, but have never had to put it on in the Desolation area in the summer.
I have been in the water at Cabo, and found it was colder.

Did I mention we have the best cruising area in the world?
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #34
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
koliver wrote:

Hey, knock it off.* You want all these bozos coming up here expecting great cruising?* You know they'll be disappointed because they won't see squat through the fog, rain, snow, hail, volcanic ash, traffic emissions, smoke and steam from the pulp mills, and diesel exhaust from the trains, and they'll most likely lose a limb or two from gangrenous*rabid otter and orca bites.* So they'll be pissed and they'll come after you for misleading them.

Better to be totally honest.**A picture is worth a thousand words.* This*is a photo of boating in this area 99.999 percent of the time.* Taken by a guest on our boat during a run through the "best cruising area in the world."

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fog.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	4340  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:51 PM   #35
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
Marin wrote:

koliver wrote:

Hey, knock it off.* You want all these bozos coming up here expecting great cruising?* You know they'll be disappointed because they won't see squat through the fog, rain, snow, hail, volcanic ash, traffic emissions, smoke and steam from the pulp mills, and diesel exhaust from the trains, and they'll most likely lose a limb or two from gangrenous*rabid otter and orca bites.* So they'll be pissed and they'll come after you for misleading them.

Better to be totally honest.**A picture is worth a thousand words.* This*is a photo of boating in this area 99.999 percent of the time.* Taken by a guest on our boat during a run through the "best cruising area in the world."

You guys are like Moses when God gave him a glimpse of heaven.* Every now and then you get a glimpse.

Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #36
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:

You guys are like Moses when God gave him a glimpse of heaven.* Every now and then you get a glimpse.
You got it.* That's boating in the PNW.* Lots of tiny glimpses.* Radar is your friend.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #37
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
Marin wrote:

*You want all these bozos coming up here expecting great cruising?* You know they'll be disappointed because they won't see squat through the fog, rain, snow, hail, volcanic ash, traffic emissions, smoke and steam from the pulp mills, and diesel exhaust from the trains, and they'll most likely lose a limb or two from gangrenous*rabid otter and orca bites.*
Lies, lies, lies!

I've cruised (via cruise ship)*Alaskan waters five times (30 days cumulative during summer months).* Only ran into fog once; that was*off the entrance to Tracy Arm*-- Endicott Arm, the year before this photo (looking north)*was taken of the islands at the entrance.

markpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:23 PM   #38
Scraping Paint

The cruise ships have huge projection screens around them on which they project idylic scenes that make you feel you are cruising through beautiful country.* The projectors are in the funnel.* That shot you posted--- you didn't know it at the time but you actually shot it off the screen.* In fact I have it on good authority it's*a location on the south island of New Zealand. I'm betting that PeterB knows exactly where it is.* Shots from New Zealand are often used to illustrate what the PNW looks like since the two regions are very similar in geography.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 20th of January 2011 08:26:47 PM
Old 01-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #39
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
Marin wrote:

The cruise ships have huge projection screens around them on which they project idylic scenes that make you feel you are cruising through beautiful country.* The projectors are in the funnel.* That shot you posted--- you didn't know it at the time but you actually shot it off the screen.* In fact I have it on good authority it's*a location on the south island of New Zealand. I'm betting that PeterB knows exactly where it is.* Shots from New Zealand are often used to illustrate what the PNW looks like since the two regions are very similar in geography.

What Marin says about the video projection on the cruise ship windows is true. They rarely let you see all the horrible sights. Especially the lead smelters, chemical plants, whaling stations, and seal harvests. The only reason we stay is that we can't afford to leave.

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:00 PM   #40
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Quote:
Marin wrote:

Yes, sorry Mark, but that's gotta be Dusky Sound, Fiordland, NZ*all right.
Hey, these forward raked windscreens are growing on me - I'm sure I'm seeing better now..........

-- Edited by Peter B on Friday 21st of January 2011 12:04:41 AM

Peter B is online now   Reply With Quote