Old 12-30-2014, 02:22 PM   #1
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Yikes! My marina is for sale.

I'm guessing it will stay a marina. A bunch of homes just went up behind it and I suppose the developer passed on grabbing the waterfront property too.

1130 PASADENA YACHT YARD RD, PASADENA, MD, 21122 - MLS# AA8361189 - Estately

BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:35 PM   #2
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Be careful....more than one marina had a for sale sign up one day and padlocked with a sheriff"s note on it the next..... with the boats held inside for many months till things were straightened out.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Scott,
You really know how to scare the hell out of a guy and I'm assuming that is not a joke. At my age things tend to pass over my head.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:27 PM   #4
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I have seen things like this in which the builder buy the marina for the condo residents......just say'in. Then again you could go by the marina....
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #5
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Wow

I would like to see the financials on that seems mighty cheap
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:51 PM   #6
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
When I lived aboard in Annapolis, I got friendly with the marina owner.

Not sure what was true or not, but he led me to believe that Maryland was one of the first states that passed legislation concerning marinas and their subsequent sales as to use.

I thought it was almost impossible to convert to anything but marina like activity...and seeing the travel lift, it may even have to stay a working marina versus converting to a condo marina without facilities.

Hopefully someone up there might have the total scoop.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:57 PM   #7
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
[QUOTE=psneeld;294800]When I lived aboard in Annapolis, I got friendly with the marina owner.

Not sure what was true or not, but he led me to believe that Maryland was one of the first states that passed legislation concerning marinas and their subsequent sales as to use.

I thought it was almost impossible to convert to anything but marina like activity...and seeing the travel lift, it may even have to stay a working marina versus converting to a condo marina without facilities.

Hopefully someone up there might have the t

I own a few mobile home parks and in most states the laws are similar
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:44 PM   #8
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
I have seen things like this in which the builder buy the marina for the condo residents......just say'in. Then again you could go by the marina....
The Florida approach is for the developer to buy the marina, kick out the boaters, build condos and then sell off pricey boat slips. I laughed my rear off when a bunch of them went belly up during the Great Recession but certainly they will be back in force. Enjoy your Florida marina while you can!
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:40 PM   #9
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Your slip fee will be going up soon.
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:46 PM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
When I lived aboard in Annapolis, I got friendly with the marina owner.

Hopefully someone up there might have the total scoop.
I'm pretty tight with the marina / boatyard owners where my trawler is being refitted. Maryland isn't big on boatyards (this may change with a Republican governor). The environmental regulations they are pushing on boatyards will make it extremely costly to do business. This isn't to say that they don't like marinas and the tax revenue they generate. It's just that the state would rather have boat repair done somewhere else. Many marinas in MD need the revenues and profits that the yards generate to stay in business. If your marina survives on the profits of the yard as opposed to the revenues from the marina, they may be responding to the regulation righting on the wall.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:12 PM   #11

City: Vancouver BC
Wow, $2.5 Million, that's almost as much as a normal house in Vancouver on a 50 x 120 lot.
Why not get the financial statements from the broker, and if the numbers are good and the thing pays for itself ... buy it yourself or with a friend or two.
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:59 PM   #12

City: Baltimore
I thought it was for sale for awhile now. I seem to remember seeing an ad for it in the early spring of last year...but maybe i am confused. that does happen.

As for locking up the boats in a marina...i am not sure of the logistics of that. I have a dink and a kayak, legal or not my boat would be coming out.
eseyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:43 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eseyoung View Post
I thought it was for sale for awhile now. I seem to remember seeing an ad for it in the early spring of last year...but maybe i am confused. that does happen.

As for locking up the boats in a marina...i am not sure of the logistics of that. I have a dink and a kayak, legal or not my boat would be coming out.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:51 PM   #14

City: Whidbey Island WA
Vessel Name: MV Kika
Vessel Model: Selene 47 Ocean Trawler
With annual revenues of $650,000, that marina property could make a good investment. Plus moorage for your boat.
nwboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:07 AM   #15
Guru

Nice house too!
Old 12-31-2014, 07:40 AM   #16
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
The idea of looking for financing and buying the marina myself has crossed my mind. The "55" wet slips is a bit of a stretch, 40 is more like it. Even so, the revenues from those slips would cover much, if not all, of the mortgage. Pasadena and Rock Creek aren't Annapolis, so the slip fees have to stay reasonable.

Nice looking house from the outside. But, the previous owner, Mr. Lou, was very old when he died a few years ago after living alone for years. His kids own the property now. I expect the house will need some serious renovation on the interior. Which had me thinking that instead of renovation, a conversation to a restaurant/bar would be a potential money making idea.

The grandfather of one of my best friends sold the land where the marina sits to the family of the current owners a long, long time ago. Back when waterfront property around here was owned almost exclusively by middle-class blue collar workers. A lot of them working out of Sparrows Point. I bet grandpa would be astounded by the value of that property today.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:49 PM   #17
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
First, every marina is for sale. Some advertised, some secretly, some only when approached with an offer. In the last two years, I'm aware of at least 7 for sale in Fort Lauderdale. Some remain for sale.

As to this property, first thing is location, location, location and this doesn't have it. It's close but it's not like it would be a few miles south. It's also surrounded by other similar marinas.

It's that oddity that is too small to be a thriving marina and yet apparently not doing enough shipyard work. If I was looking at it, I'd be pursuing the possibility of dry storage or more slips, which could be very difficult to get approved. But compare it to Oak Harbor which is right across from it. Even the house, being right in the middle of a boat yard has reduced value.

I think the attempt to sell at that price is a dream. I would personally place it's value at about half that and even then not sure how profitable it can be.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:35 PM   #18
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
We have a friend with a marina in Fall River, MA. His favorite line is, "How how do you make a $1,000,000? Buy one for $2,000,000". It's a tough business dealing with the environmental regulations, retail customers and adjacent landowners.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:29 AM   #19
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Assuming 40 slips, the asking price is $62,500 per slip.

That would be a fair price for a 40-50' slip in our area. Not sure about there.

Our marina is organized as a "boat club". I don't own a slip, I own a "membership" which entitles me to the use of a particular slip.

There are tax and insurance advantages to doing it this way. Our annual dues (think condo fees) are offset by a thriving business in off-season upland storage and general yard services. This facility seems like it could do the same. Another potential, as mentioned above, is turning the building into some sort of money-making business. A restaurant or function hall might work, or some marine-related shop.

All real estate is local, so some research would be in order. I assume there's room for negotiation on the price. But it seems like getting existing renters to pool their resources and buy it might just work.

Edit: I just noticed the barge and pile driver photo. If it comes with the place, that's a huge plus. Replacing piles is one of our biggest expenses.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:35 AM   #20
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
We have a friend with a marina in Fall River, MA. His favorite line is, "How how do you make a $1,000,000?
Funny :-) They say the same thing about racing. "How do you make a million dollars racing cars? Start with ten million dollars."