Old 11-11-2015, 01:55 PM   #1

City: Hampton Bays, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Grand Yankee
Vessel Model: 1981 49' Grand Banks Classic
Worton Creek Marina, Chester Town, Maryland

I just moved my Grand Banks 49' Classic to this marina. I had researched and heard nothing but good. Now that I am there, I am very happy. Well protected from wind. Great staff who know what they are doing. Also fair labor rate. brand new AC heads, spotless. I am looking forward to my winter there in a shed. So many places you do not want to call home, but Worton Creek Marina is super.
Ron T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:09 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
I like Worton Creek Marina. They had a decent restaurant there. Do they still kind of specialize in rebuilding Bertram 31s?
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:18 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
I like Worton Creek Marina. They had a decent restaurant there. Do they still kind of specialize in rebuilding Bertram 31s?
That and talking about reviving Post, but never actually doing it as they're waiting for an order and buyers are waiting for a boat. Good thing the chicken and the egg worked it out better than they are or we'd have neither.

As to the marina, all I've heard has been positive other than one irate customer over some major work running more than quoted.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:14 PM   #4
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Ron, I was there Saturday and heard you had come in. Looking forward to seeing your Grand Banks. My Defever has been on the hard there for several months and will winter there as well. I'm doing/having a lot of work done and have been in no hurry to splash her due to endless conflicts at the office.

Worton Creek is like stepping back in time. By far, they are the friendliest, easiest-to-work with marine operation I've dealt with. John LeClair, the service manager, and his crew are knowledgable, skilled craftsmen with high standards who really care about getting it right. They don't work for free, but their prices are reasonable. It's a working boatyard--not a boutique--but clean, quiet and in a very picturesque setting. It's fun to watch the parade of high-end boats come in for service; they are well-known and sought out by folks on this end of the Chesapeake. There is a Bertram on stands beginning what looks like a major refit and the owner, John Patnovic, is restoring a 90-ft Burger.

PS: Don, the restaurant's under new management. I haven't eaten there since the day it opened, so can't offer a real review.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:16 PM   #5

Yes, I saw your DeFever up on blocks. The best job I have seen in a while. Plenty of hull support and the cover is excellent . John Is 100 % plus in what ever he does. So nice to see a person with his attitude. Where I came from used cedar blocks , rotten wood and as few stands as possible , and never enough keel supports. Take care. Stop by.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:42 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron T View Post
Yes, I saw your DeFever up on blocks. The best job I have seen in a while. Plenty of hull support and the cover is excellent . John Is 100 % plus in what ever he does. So nice to see a person with his attitude. Where I came from used cedar blocks , rotten wood and as few stands as possible , and never enough keel supports. Take care. Stop by.
Thanks for the intel on the shrink wrap; I haven't seen it yet. Schuman's came well recommended. I'll be there Saturday installing a new inverter and will look for your boat.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:08 PM   #7
Guru

I'm really pleased with the shrink wrap job by Schuman's out of Stevensville, MD. Better support and much tighter than the wrap somebody else did last year. These guys were suggested by Worton Creek and I would add my recommendation as well.

(Ron, sorry I missed you. I stopped by this afternoon but didn't see anyone at home. Very nice Grand Banks!)

Old 11-22-2015, 06:59 AM   #8
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
I once drove over to Worton to buy some bikes from a boater. I would like to see the travel lift go up that hill to the storage area on the hill. It has to be a 30-45 degree incline. It must be pretty impressive.
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:31 AM   #9
Guru

I wondered about that too. They have 25 and 70-ton lifts and I've seen the smaller one haul boats up to the storage yard (which is now packed) without any drama. The yard crew makes it look effortless. They keep larger boats on the lower level. They use the larger lift with my boat because a narrower lift's straps could damage the rubrails where they flair near the bow, so Stella will spend the winter on the lower level.

The shed is now filled for the winter as well with some very nice craft. In addition to Ron's Grand Banks 49, there's a pristine Krogen 42 (Morning Star); a (55?) Fleming that I can't remember the name of and this custom 47' steel trawler (Qilin) that looks like the big sister of Mark's Coot--minus the mast and stays. Except for the unfortunate scratch on the bow, she's immaculate and drop-dead gorgeous. Wish I could have stood farther away for better pictures.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:25 PM   #10

The travel lifts are 4 wheel drive units. Most marinas just have two wheel drive. I have been around awhile and thought I knew most of the little tricks. Wrong ! John LeClair knows a lot more. And he is always, full steam ahead.