Old 08-21-2019, 10:21 AM   #1

City: englewood florida
Winter storage Lake Michigan

Starting the loop next summer and expect to get someplace around Chicago by next September. Anyone have any recommendations for a good storage spot for the winter/spring of 2020/2021..
cbouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:38 AM   #2
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Lots of choices. Some get reservations very early. Some give you the choice of heated and unheated storage. I recommend heated. We kept our boat in heated storage quite a bit further north at Onekama Marine in Onekama MI. Lovely location but VERY rural. In the town of Manistee, there is Seng's Marina. Hopefully, some one will chime in with recommendations around Chi-town. Western MI has harbors about every 20 miles or so. Lots of nice little towns and some larger ones.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:46 PM   #3
Guru

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
I'd stay way north. St Josephs Island up by Sault Ste Marie. Farther south in Wisconsin are Sturgeon Bay, Kewaunee, Racine, Manitowoc, Miwaukee. North Port Michigan. Muskegon, many points south.

You do know that the locks in Chicago are scheduled for closure next year?
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:25 PM   #4

I do that is why we are planning no further south than Chicago and want to make plans early
Old 08-21-2019, 09:45 PM   #5
Guru

City: Chicago/Montrose Harbor
Vessel Name: Sea Jay
Vessel Model: Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
All depends on the rates you want to pay and what type of storage. Cheaper on the eastern side of the lake. On the western side Wisconsin is about 20% less than chicago.
Gmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:32 AM   #6

I was hoping to hear from someone who could make a recommendation based on experience. Thanks cliff
Old 08-22-2019, 06:39 AM   #7
Guru

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
Seng's is $6.75 per square foot for 2019/2020..indoor heated. Not a bargain. And a simple bottom pressure wash is extra. Onekama is probably better.

Again, I'd stay way north, maybe even on the Huron side unless you have a need to be on Lake Michigan proper. Cheboygan? Or wait until the locks are open, or take more time and stay far away from Lake Michigan...too many boaters with deep pockets.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:58 AM   #8
Guru

City: Chicago/Montrose Harbor
Vessel Name: Sea Jay
Vessel Model: Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
Experience? I live in downtown chicago so.... my boat is in heated indoor storage in Racine WI at 7.95 per sq ft (length x beam) usually October through April. Marinas in chicago are at about $10 a Sq foot. I only have anecdotal information about Indiana and Michigan which is going to be less.
Gmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:32 AM   #9

City: Spring Lake
Lake Michigan Storage

There is indoor storage available up the Grand River (enter from Grand Haven). It runs about $900 a season for a 32 foot to $1400 for a 36 foot trawler. Not heated. Closer to Lake Michigan there are a couple of options in the Grand Haven and Muskegon area: Barrett's, Torrenson's, The Wharf...
vwfun2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:53 AM   #10

City: Kenosha, WI
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Hershine 37
On the western side Between Racine and Waukegan all indoor heated is sold out by now. Some indoor non heated and outdoor storage is available. Cheaper on east side and the further north you go. Book early for next year by June to be safe. If it were me I would get past the locks in July and enjoy Kentucky Lake a little longer.
Greatlaker221 is offline   Reply With Quote