Old 08-11-2017, 12:23 PM   #1
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Winter storage again

I've been beating the winter storage thing over a bit and have some questions.

First, I find it quite expensive, and for a 40 ft trawler in the $4 to $5 thousand range for a heated facility.

If one goes with outside storage, the cost is down in the $2 to $3K range. That means one could accept ~$2 of losses and break even.

How many of you do outside storage for the winter..... issues?

How many do inside unheated storage?

And how many do inside heated storage?

And, for outside, how good is the benefit of shrink-wrapping?

Other thoughts?

This Florida boy needs some good info on winter storage......

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2017, 12:31 PM   #2
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
I store my boat outside and shrink wrapped. Here the wrap is necessary because of the snow and ice. Benefit of indoor storage is that you can work on your boat if needed and no need to winterized if heated. It is possible to work in the wrapped boat in spring but depends on what you need.
I had no issue with outdoor storage.

L.
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:32 PM   #3
Guru

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
Where is your boat?

Last year I put mine on land for about $325 (or so) per month and I believe this included electric hookup so I could keep my dehumidifiers and little heaters running. This was in Anacortes, WA

I shrink wrapped and I think that was roughly $2500.
If you are going to keep the boat long term a whole boat cover would pay for itself relatively quickly.

We did a lot of work on the boat thru the winter, ran the Kabola heater a lot and this kept it quite nice inside.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:38 PM   #4
Guru

Issue with boat cover is that, at least here, most marina will tell you that if you use your own, you will need to take care of it, that is to say that if it is damaged by wind they won't care. More if the cover flys in the wind and is subject to touch other boats, they will remove it. I have one cover but will use it only indoor for dust if one day I store indoor
Old 08-11-2017, 01:51 PM   #5
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
This is what I wrote over on the Mainship Yahoo site on the subject of shrink wrapping:

"There is something of a debate about shrink wrapping. Some say that you have to keep all snow off of the boat so that melting snow won't get in cracks around stanchions, freeze and crack the laminate. I don't do that and only shrink wrap the aft third of my P34 to keep snow out of the cockpit. I also trip the breaker that feeds the aft bilge pump as snow melt can get in the bilge, freeze and when the water level gets high enough to turn on the pump it will either run down the battery or damage the pump.

If I had a flybridge trawler I probably wound shrink wrap the whole boat."

But you must be talking about somewhere north to worry about heated storage and have prices that high. Even so last year I kept my Pilot 34 in a low cost yard in Connecticut for the winter for $1,200 including partial shrink wrap.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:08 PM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
While it costs more, I found that taking it to FL each winter was a more enjoyable solution.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:18 PM   #7
Guru

Speaking about price it cost me around 1500CAD for outdoor storage, full wrap and winterization included. Indoor heated my marina would bill me a bit more but not so much more as there is no need for winterization nor wrap.

L.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:23 PM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
I've been beating the winter storage thing over a bit and have some questions.

First, I find it quite expensive, and for a 40 ft trawler in the $4 to $5 thousand range for a heated facility.

If one goes with outside storage, the cost is down in the $2 to $3K range. That means one could accept ~$2 of losses and break even.

How many do inside unheated storage?

And how many do inside heated storage?

And, for outside, how good is the benefit of shrink-wrapping?

Other thoughts?

This Florida boy needs some good info on winter storage......

Thanks!
Where are you talking about doing this?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:40 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdtx View Post
Where is your boat?

Last year I put mine on land for about $325 (or so) per month and I believe this included electric hookup so I could keep my dehumidifiers and little heaters running. This was in Anacortes, WA

I shrink wrapped and I think that was roughly $2500.
If you are going to keep the boat long term a whole boat cover would pay for itself relatively quickly.

We did a lot of work on the boat thru the winter, ran the Kabola heater a lot and this kept it quite nice inside.
In FL, but doing the loop 2018/19.
$325 is dirt cheap, but haven't found that, yet... Need to look a bit harder.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:40 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Speaking about price it cost me around 1500CAD for outdoor storage, full wrap and winterization included. Indoor heated my marina would bill me a bit more but not so much more as there is no need for winterization nor wrap.

L.
Lou,

Where are you located? That sounds pretty reasonable.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:42 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Where are you talking about doing this?
My boat is in FL and planning on the loop over 2 years, leaving it "somewhere up north" in the winter of 2018/19. I don't know where.

The quotes I've been getting are pretty brutal, ranging up over $4K to $6K, but for a heated storage. If outside and wrapped would work in the $2 or $3 range, that would probably work.

I've actually thought of spending the first summer in the Chesapeake area and back tracking to warmer water for the winter where a freeze is unlikely, but not sure about that.

For $6K I'd just consider doing the loop in one year, and perhaps going back up part way to visit the east coast and Chesapeake area later.

Part of the problem is I have some other activities that will take 5 or 6 weeks out of my summer next year, which makes a dent in the loop traveling.

I hate cold. Sold my Wisconsin operation and glad to be rid of it.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:58 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Lou,

Where are you located? That sounds pretty reasonable.

The boat is in Hawkesbury Ontario. If you plan to do the loop you will pass just in front except if you skip the Rideau and Ottawa part in what case you would really miss something!

L.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
My boat is in FL and planning on the loop over 2 years, leaving it "somewhere up north" in the winter of 2018/19. I don't know where.

The quotes I've been getting are pretty brutal, ranging up over $4K to $6K, but for a heated storage. If outside and wrapped would work in the $2 or $3 range, that would probably work.

I've actually thought of spending the first summer in the Chesapeake area and back tracking to warmer water for the winter where a freeze is unlikely, but not sure about that.

For $6K I'd just consider doing the loop in one year, and perhaps going back up part way to visit the east coast and Chesapeake area later.

Part of the problem is I have some other activities that will take 5 or 6 weeks out of my summer next year, which makes a dent in the loop traveling.

I hate cold. Sold my Wisconsin operation and glad to be rid of it.
Our decisions had nothing to do with the cost of winter storage. We just had no desire to go through it. We chose to do the East Coast at a different time than the loop. That way you can see the entire coast and enjoy. I'd either do it the year before or year after.

Then the year of the loop, I'd want to start on the Erie when they open it and have from May through August/September to spend between there and Chicago. Then you can come down from there and be fine the rest of the way. We stopped on the TN River and kept the boat there, but the TN Tom and the Gulf Coast could just as easily have been done by us.

You have all the time in the world to explore the east coast and to explore the SE, Bahamas, and Gulf Coast. It's from NYC to Chicago that is time sensitive. We moved from FL to NYC in April.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:38 PM   #14
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Worton Creek Marina on the upper Eastern shore of the Chesapeake charges $28.50/ft for outside winter storage, including hauling, blocking and a pressure wash. It's a very good, but not fancy, working marina. I don't recall what I paid Schuman's Cleaning Services on Kent Island for shrink wrap, but it was reasonable and lasted two years while we did a partial refit. Other than a water pipe that burst because I neglected to drain it, there was no damage.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:08 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We store in an unheated barn. It costs about $1400 for the haul, power wash and winter storage. I do the winterizing myself.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:38 PM   #16
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:

If it were me, I would bite the bullet for heated winter storage as a one time cost. If you were wintering year after year in the same area, developing the procedures to winterizing the boat, engines, generator, heads, freshwater system, and everything I've forgotten is worth it in long-term savings. Since you don't live there, if there were to be a problem, you're kind of at the mercy of the local yard. Then there's the issue of the lost time fixing whatever froze /broke. On a trip like this, time is everything. Heated storage, followed by a few days of prep in the spring, is the way to go.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
If it were me, I would bite the bullet for heated winter storage as a one time cost. If you were wintering year after year in the same area, developing the procedures to winterizing the boat, engines, generator, heads, freshwater system, and everything I've forgotten is worth it in long-term savings. Since you don't live there, if there were to be a problem, you're kind of at the mercy of the local yard. Then there's the issue of the lost time fixing whatever froze /broke. On a trip like this, time is everything. Heated storage, followed by a few days of prep in the spring, is the way to go.

Ted
I agree with you and there is heated winter storage available along the way. I'd just be sure to schedule it well in advance to be sure to get it. I think of the Sandusky area as an excellent place to store. Plenty of yards and equipment to handle a decent sized boat. I know HOTY, which owns several of the major marinas there offers it, as does Craft and as does Sandusky Harbor. It's a great area to stop with a lot to do there and easy flying in and out of Cleveland.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:32 AM   #18
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:

Three out of every four years, we winterize the boat and leave it in the water (annual slip), no shrink wrap. No big deal.

OTOH, we're close enough to check it often, and I can go turn on the de-icer when necessary... as for example when the marina freezes in...

The fourth year, we winterize and haul/block/store in the marina yard. Don't remember fees, something $$ per month...

-Chris
Old 08-13-2017, 07:44 AM   #19
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
If doing the loop, the delta of $2-3k might be hardly noticed.

Some could absorb that in anchoring out more and eating out less.

So I would opt for heated storage knowing that unless something really bad happened to the facility, when I returned to my boat, it would be ready to go (almost).
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:50 AM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
I go for the heat. What about latent moisture around window/door frames and decks? With the freeze/thaw cycles and the associated expansion and contraction couldn't it cause problems down the line? For one season, I think I spend the $s.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote