Old 02-13-2015, 08:46 PM   #1

City: Benicia CA
Vancouver BC Marina Recommendations

In all of our travels throughout the PNW, we've never managed to find the time to visit Vancouver in the boat. Well, this year, the admiral wants to go, so we're going (I let her get her way once in a while). Probably for 3 or 4 nights in June or July if space is available.

I've done some research, and because she wants to be close to the city life action, I think the two marinas that she'll like best are Coal Harbour and Fisherman's Wharf.

Anybody have any thoughts or opinions on these two? Or, any other marina recommendations for that matter?

Also, not that money doesn't matter, but unless there's an outrageous price difference, costs will probably not be a deciding factor.

Thanks,
Neal

Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:03 PM   #2

City: Vancouver BC
You want to be at Coal Harbour Marina, it's right downtown on the seawall and next to Stanley Park.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coal harbour (3).JPG
Views:	108
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	37386  

West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:51 PM   #3

City: West Vancouver
Vessel Model: 50' Gulf Commander
I know you asked about marinas, but you might want to consider anchoring in False Creek. Right downtown, well protected, lots of dinghy docks. Granville Island, Yaletown right there. And the price cannot be beat. Instead of moorage you could use the money for some great food in Yaletown!

http://vancouver.ca/streets-transpor...anchoring.aspx
nmuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:50 PM   #4
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Yes, for a short visit False Creek is great. Just register, IIRC you can anchor free for up to 14 days of a month. Having said that, I spent quite a bit of time at Fisherman's wharf. In part because the ship taking my boat back to Australia was delayed. Its easy to get to lots of interesting places from there (Granville Island is only a few minutes walk as well), the staff are friendly and its likely you would find it to be a both cheaper and better located overall than Coal Harbour. Fisherman's would be my first choice if I'm back in Yvr.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:44 PM   #5
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
False Creek, anchor out. No idea how much they'll screw you but there are good markets, pubs and restaurants there.

Tap and Barrel has draught wine as well as a sh$tload of beer. At the end by the giant golf ball. Guess where I am writing this from?!
Old 02-16-2015, 09:28 PM   #6

City: Benicia CA
Thanks for the feedback so far!

From the responses, it seems that False Creek has interesting places, pubs and markets, which is what we're after. Any shopping to go with that?

And, what about Coal Harbour - is it similar at all?

Walking distance is important.
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:44 PM   #7
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
If I may add a twist to Nsail's question: Are there any marinas within walking distance of the new BC Place stadium? I see it's on False Creek, but don't know about nearby marinas. If I can time it, I'd love to see the Timbers play the Whitecaps this summer...
http://www.pacificnwboater.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:53 PM   #8
sgm

City: Port of Everett

Stayed at Coal Harbor several times and highly recommend. Real close to customs dock. Friendly staff to help as spacing is a little tight. Excellent access to downtown. Be careful on approach as there is a lot of traffic including planes in the area. You'll love it. Last stop was around $90 Cnd.
sgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:13 AM   #9
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
We routinely stay at Coal Harbour. Good shopping all around there, much better than False Creek. It is an easy walk from Coal Harbor to Granville Island. Buses work very well too.

We used to live on Granville Island and work downtown so know the area very well. No matter where you end up you will not be bored.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:28 PM   #10
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)

False Creek Harbour Authority. That would be my suggestion. There is more to do that end of town. Robson Street, 4th Ave, and Broadway great for restaurants.

http://www.falsecreek.com

BTW, it's a fairly long walk 5 km from Coal Harbour to Granville Is.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:06 AM   #11
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
We only have transited at one and that's Coal Harbour. We found them to be great.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:13 PM   #12
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
If you are a yacht club member you could get recip moorage at the Vancouver Royal YC which is right off Stanley Park or the Rowing Club which is next door. Sorry, I can't remember the Rowing Club's name but I'm sure someone will tell us.

The five stages of life: Sailboats, Motorboats, Motor Homes, Nursing Home, Funeral Home.
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:29 PM   #13
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Robson St central downtown are about equidistant from coal Hbr and Fishermans.
Denman St (highly recommended for eating out) is much closer to CH. CH Marina is high end, modern, full of higher end boats, big boats get the outside slips, up to our local billionaire's Nova Spirit at 165'. Fishermans gets the fishermen (go figure!) on older, more crowded docks, some rafting involved. You may get to cross a fishboat to get on and off your own. CH has its share of high end restaurants, starting with Cardero's, right in the marina. https://www.vancouverdine.com/carderos - good pix of the marina on that website.
CH has Stanley Park close by, with its "must see" attractions.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:34 PM   #14
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
If I may add a twist to Nsail's question: Are there any marinas within walking distance of the new BC Place stadium? I see it's on False Creek, but don't know about nearby marinas. If I can time it, I'd love to see the Timbers play the Whitecaps this summer...

Moon fish. Sorry for the delay as I had to do some digging for you. This Quayside marina has some transient moorage available. This is the closest place to BC Place stadium. Tenants in one of the surrounding buildings sublet their moorage during the summer. You need to get onto it early though as vacant slips fill up. Not sure of the cost. You will have to contact them. Contact "Chris" here...

https://www.ranchovan.com/template.cfm?tID=207

Otherwise it's a 29 minute walk (according to Apple Maps) from Granville Island (False Creek Harbour Authority) to BC Place
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1424723658.059748.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	37632

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:10 PM   #15
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
BTW, it's a fairly long walk 5 km from Coal Harbour to Granville Is.
Nice walk, can do it in 3/4 hour if hustling or 6 hours if shopping along the way. Most Vancouver berthing or anchoring locales as previously mentioned are great. Short scope in False Creek is recommended.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:51 PM   #16
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
"Vancouver Rowing Club"
Reciprocal Yacht Club Visitors

The first two days of moorage are free, additional days are $1.50 per foot per day. You must show your membership card and fly your Club burgee. There is a flat fee for electricity (20 or 30amp service) of $3 per day.
Transient Visitors

Moorage is $2.00 per foot per day plus electricity.
Visiting Members
Moorage $0.50 cents per foot per day plus electricity.

the "Royal Vancouver Yacht Club" has a limited number of slips available for reciprocal mooring. You should call ahead to see if there is one big enough for your boat, within a few days of your planned arrival. I don't recall what the rates are, but VRC reciprocal rates should be comparable.

For both, your club must first be on their list of reciprocating clubs.

koliver is offline   Reply With Quote