A transient at our marina on the TN River

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodsong

Guru
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
They just pulled in today while I happened to be on our dock so I was able to help them with their lines but wow- what a pretty boat and BIG. *She is a Florida Bay Coaster- their 55' I believe. *For size comparison that "little' boat in front of her is a 43 defever!! *:)

I need to find a graceful way of getting to tour these transient boats...begging and crying seems to be a little demanding to me. *
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

-- Edited by Woodsong on Friday 26th of August 2011 10:35:18 PM

Attachments

• dscf9586.jpg
    dscf9586.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 128
  • dscf9464.jpg
    dscf9464.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 147
  • dscf9585.jpg
    dscf9585.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 147
Sorry- a bit of googling and I discovered she is a 60', not 55.

For a time, I thought these Jay Benfield's steel designs might be best suited for my Admiral and I. *I looked at one in Ft. Lauderdale (a little ship), and was a bit disappointed by the half-height engine and machinery room. *It did though, have a full height utility room with bench and vise in an adjacent space. I think this one was only 45 ft., but huge everywhere. *Price was somewhere between 300 and 400K.

**Right about the time that my Admiral and I were looking harder, a Florida Bay Coaster got swamped and sank in the lower Chesapeake, and my Admiral said "no" to any further consideration. *I read the account of the incident, and it doesn't appear to have had anything to do with the design or construction. *The boat was salvaged, and I think it's somewhere in the north Chesapeake, stripped down and awaiting purchase for refit. *They may challenge the old A/B ratios a bit, but I'd still love to have one. *There's a 35 that's just about as precious as a boat can get.

Woodsong wrote:
They just pulled in today while I happened to be on our dock so I was able to help them with their lines but wow- what a pretty boat and BIG. *She is a Florida Bay Coaster- their 55' I believe. *For size comparison that "little' boat in front of her is a 43 defever!! *:)

I need to find a graceful way of getting to tour these transient boats...begging and crying seems to be a little demanding to me. *
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

-- Edited by Woodsong on Friday 26th of August 2011 10:35:18 PM
*Tony, just tell him you are a moderator, and that if he will let you aboard you will make certain he wins the Best Avatar Trophy next year
biggrin.gif

Did he have a buddy boat with him?* I saw him and another boat at the transient dock downtown, but didn't go down there.* They are among the very few transients visiting this summer.* Probably will get more in October when the Loopers come up river.

LOL Don! Yes- they came in with a 50 or 55 foot pilothouse.

BTW...the name on that Defever 43 in front of him in the pics at the dock...the name of that defever is "Moonstruck." Have you added to the fleet and not told me about it?

But remember the name sez it all, Florida BAY COASTER.

Lakes , rivers and bays fine, blue water no way.

My thoughts too, Fred.

Since the boat is in river waters, I suppose the Bay Coaster's master realizes its limitations.

That boat would be a great boat to travel america's water ways.

Old Stone wrote:
Hmmmm - Could it be that a couple of the recent remarks indicate some jealousy ????:no: No boat's perfect, but I'd take that one in a heartbeat.
*I guess I would too, but even the 45 was way too much boat for me. *When I was first looking at Benfield designs, I thought maybe this 38 would have enough room for us. *Now that I have the Manatee, I know it does. *As Woodsong said, it's a great boat to explore America's waterways. *This one is still up in Kent Narrows, MD, and might even show up at the area Trawler Fests. *38 ft. waterfront townhouse. *I would think it has the same coastal abilities as our Manatee does, but twice or more the weight. *And look, it's trailerable too!

-- Edited by healhustler on Saturday 27th of August 2011 04:13:20 PM

-- Edited by healhustler on Saturday 27th of August 2011 04:23:31 PM

Attachments

• phoca_thumb_l_ivgtr_sidetravel2.jpg
    phoca_thumb_l_ivgtr_sidetravel2.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 125
  • phoca_thumb_l_ivgtr_257.jpg
    phoca_thumb_l_ivgtr_257.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 131
  • phoca_thumb_l_ivgtr_13.jpg
    phoca_thumb_l_ivgtr_13.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 128
Those boats look like two boats stacked.* Just how high is the center of gravity?* Lots of windage.* They must roll real good.

markpierce wrote:
Those boats look like two boats stacked.* Just how high is the center of gravity?* Lots of windage.* They must roll real good.
*Yeah, they really do, don't they? *GM is 4.4', but I've never been on a 38 or 35.

Woodsong wrote:
*I know I'm steering a little off course but this post made me think of that great PBS series done quite a few years ago with Jason Robards as the narrator : "on the waterways". *Anybody have the DVD set they would like to lend out? **
smile.gif

Woodsong wrote:

BTW...the name on that Defever 43 in front of him in the pics at the dock...the name of that defever is "Moonstruck." Have you added to the fleet and not told me about it?
*Tony bewary of that boat.* It is but a poseur to the identity and glory that is the real, one and only MOONSTRUCK.

scarletbison wrote:Woodsong wrote:
*I know I'm steering a little off course but this post made me think of that great PBS series done quite a few years ago with Jason Robards as the narrator : "on the waterways". *Anybody have the DVD set they would like to lend out? **
smile.gif

*I too saw that series.* I would like to by a set of the DVDs just to see the kid on the dock at Tangier Island that "they didn't have to 'gradiate' to be a waterman"---priceless.* Great series.* Thanks for reminding be of it.

I am serious about buying a set of the DVDs if anyone knows where to get them.

scarletbison wrote:
smile.gif
*Just ordered a DVD set.* $26.99 with free shipping at Amazon.com.* It is 13 hours of DVDs.* We will put them on the boat to watch when at anchor.* I don't know how many months it will take us to watch it all, but I will be glad to loan it out when finished.* I will them keep them for the grand children to watch.Amazon.com has about 3 sets left in stock.

Anyone with an older set may be VHS format as that was the first edition.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Saturday 27th of August 2011 08:59:04 PM

The specs for the 60 footer which is the boat I posted do not appear to be online. However, the specs for the 55 are:
http://floridabaycoasters.com/models/55

The displacement is 140,000 lbs!
the Nordhavn 55 which is usually the beefiest production boat weighs in at 115,000 lbs.

I don't know how stable she is but 140,000 lbs for a 55' is phenomenally heavy. I will have ask the captain and owner about her sea handling when I figure out how to get a tour of her. :)

As my old boat builder allways said "if it looks good then it usually is".
Form your own opinions but myself I wouldn't go outside the river in one of those.

"In addition I have cruised a long way alongside Dr. Bill and his FBC 45 named "Sails" - the first of the 45 footers."

I know the current owners of Sails. They live full time aboard now. Fl in the winter and Jay W runs the 'Baywatch" tow boat out of Block I in the summer, based out of Sails in the anchorage.

There's a 55 foot FB Coaster that's currently in Alaska (MV Teddi Bear). It was the PMM covershot in the Sept. 2008 edition. So I'm thinking it must be a reasonably stable boat having made it's way there from Seattle. It was built in NZ. They were PO of our boat. Some of you may have run into them up there.

DCBD wrote:
There's a 55 foot FB Coaster that's currently in Alaska (MV Teddi Bear). It was the PMM covershot in the Sept. 2008 edition. So I'm thinking it must be a reasonably stable boat having made it's way there from Seattle. It was built in NZ. They were PO of our boat. Some of you may have run into them up there.
Well Dave, at least you know what your next step "up" is. *May as well follow them up the ladder.

DCBD wrote:
*Doesn't take a large favorable weather window to reach the protected waters of SE Alaska.

232323232%7Ffp53837%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3B29%3A%3B893336nu0mrj

I did a tour of a fellow MOTA memebers 45 footer, it was huge inside.
Steve W.

Singer Billy Joel used to own one of these boats. If my memory serves me ,I think it was the "Red Head". This was back in the late 80's or early 90's.

Sailor of Fortune wrote:
Singer Billy Joel used to own one of these boats. If my memory serves me ,I think it was the "Red Head". This was back in the late 80's or early 90's.
*Yes that is correct. We have seen him out and about in that boat.

Back
Top Bottom