Old 03-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #21
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
RE: Tornadoes hit Island Cove Marina

Quote:
angus99 wrote:
Unfortunately, tornadoes are starting be a rite of spring in this area.

__________________________________________________ __

And if natural global warming is indeed, upon us, will you stay and suffer the same fate every spring? These tornadoes seem to be getting stronger every year. Why would folks stay and face a similar fate annually?

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #22
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin

Tony
I just got chance to really read this entire thread... Oh My God!* Be safe my fellow mariner and good luck in your coming years.* As you, and others that posted here, I too am very glad no lives were lost.* My best wishes to you and all at the marina!*
There is*evidence that storm patterns will increase and*severity will elevate.* The disturbing portion of global warming producing climate change is that we only know weather patterns will alter; what we dont know is exactly where and how severe the alterations will become.* There are no computers or program models yet sophisticated enough to calculate exactly what effect one change will have on the next change... in the long run, and at times in the short run too.* What we do know is that oceanic currents and atmospheric jet streams are already altering and will continue to be affected; as will the actual content-item ratios of the oceans and atmosphere.* It can be likened to untold millions of dominoes having been set-up into relatively stable equilibrium-positions for thousands of years, and, that due to new quickly occurring circumstances (natural global warming expedited by anthropogenic developments) they can no longer maintain their positions but rather are now subject to being alternately tipped or pivoted in any direction singularly or in mass and will in someway affect each other as various sections fall or change attitude.* The variables are too complex for even the biggest computers and best programmers to calculate... at least at this stage of the process.* This and next decades are going to become very interesting, to say the least.*
Good luck to you and everyone!
Art*

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #23
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

THanks all for the well wishes. Yes, at least no one died and we are all ok. It looks like i may be able to extract my 45 from the rubble tomorrow morning. The trawler will not be able to be moved til they can clear the steel beams off it but at least the 45 does not have anything physically laying on it right now.
I frankly am alternating between my usual optimistic self and thinking no big deal, it will work out, it always does, God is in control, etc. to my "OH MY! What am I going to do??!!" It is one thing to have one boat damaged. It is one thing to have 2 boats damaged. It is one thing to have my brokerage firm impacted via lost sales and damaged inventory. It is an entirely different thing to have ALL those issues looking right at me.

When I look at this picture of my 4550 though it just sends chills up my spine and I can't believe what I am looking at is my boat:

Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #24
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Tony, that is a terrible sight. *I think I caught a glimpse of your Monk at the end of the dock in the Chattanooga.com video. *How extensive is the damage there?

I was thinking about you and your family as we watched to storms moving through the Woodstock area. *It is so good that you are all safe, but you have suffered a hard lick.

If you need some place to stay in Chattanooga while you sort this out, please let me know.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:07 PM   #25
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
Tornadoes hit Island Cove Marina

All I can say Tony is "WOW"!!!!*this is dis-hearting to say the least.

Where I live in Newfoundland we get the tail end of most of the hurricanes that*come up the Eastern Coastline but it is always so mild that it is like a good wind blowing with a little rain.*

These Tornadoes are heading our way too but again is only showing up as nothing other than a good winter's storm.

If I were living close and could get the time off, I would most definitely head down South to help out.*

Just hope there isn't as much damage as it looks on these pictures.*

Elwin

-- Edited by Ocean Breeze NL on Sunday 4th of March 2012 09:10:58 PM
Ocean Breeze NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #26
Guru

The National WEather Service has classified the storm as an EF-3 tornado with winds of 165 mph. *Devistating! *Not much will stand up to that.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #27
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

Tony:

Although thousands of miles away, your misfortune hits us all very hard. Your 45 looks like it came through in great shape, especially considering the extent of the carnage around it. The fact that both boats came through without being pushed under by the collapsed roofs, or holed by flying steel beams, is remarkable.

I have followed your extensive refit of the Monk and have applauded every detail that you shared.

I am confident that you will rise to the new challenges.
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #28

City: Boerne, Tx
Vessel Name: HEY JUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46
Tornadoes hit Island Cove Marina

Tony, hate to hear of the damage & your future burdens, both personal & business.

I was delinquent complimenting you on your delivery trip of your new boat to her home port. It was the type of adventure we hope to enjoy & now, hope you experience*again very soon.*

-- Edited by HeyJude on Sunday 4th of March 2012 10:23:51 PM
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #29
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:angus99 wrote:

And if natural global warming is indeed, upon us, will you stay and suffer the same fate every spring? These tornadoes seem to be getting stronger every year. Why would folks stay and face a similar fate annually?
Jobs, family, friends, love of the area, cost of living, topography, climate (other than tornadoes), optimism . . . to name a few reasons. *(And I'll pass on debating whether this is "natural" or not.) *Cheers!
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #30

Tony.

There are no words to convey the sadness that comes to me when I see the pictures of your loss.* I was about a hundred miles north of your boats in Cookeville TN, picking up my son to bring him home for spring break from Tenn Tech U when the tornado's hit.* I seen some ugly weather the but nothing like what you got hit with.* I was watching the news on Saturday morning in my Hotel room in Nashvillle on the way back to Iowa when I heard that a tornado hit just North of Chattanooga.* I thought of your boats being there, but never dreamed the reality could be as bad as it is.* At least, thank God nobody died.* Good luck to you.

Craig
Capn Craig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
angus99 wrote:Jobs, family, friends, love of the area, cost of living, topography, climate (other than tornadoes), optimism . . . to name a few reasons.*
******* Although you list some pretty important things, are they more important than financial ruin or (God forbid) death?
Old 03-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
angus99 wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:angus99 wrote:

Jobs, family, friends, love of the area, cost of living, topography, climate (other than tornadoes), optimism . . . to name a few reasons. *(And I'll pass on debating whether this is "natural" or not.) *Cheers!

*These things go in cycles. *When the jet stream dips down to the South, we get many of the storms that usually would be going through Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, and the midwest like Ohio and Indiana. *They are really quite rare in the East Tennessee and North GA areas. *West and Middle Tennessee usually get more.

As this weather pattern changes, things will get back to normal. *We are always subject to violent thunder storms with powerful down drafts. *Most of the eastern US is subject to those. *Check out some on the Chesapeake Bay. *They are to be respected.

We usually just get the remnants of hurricanes. *The last couple of seasons have given us much to deal with. *If you will remember we had a large white pine tree across Lou's mountain cabin last year. *That changed our plans to get to the Chesapeake. *All in all, it's a great place to live for many of the reasons stated above plus more. *One of the best features is that it is one days driving time from the Gulf Coast, FL Keys and east coast, Carolina coast, and Chesapeake Bay. *So many choices. *We have white water, rivers, lakes, and the coasts within a days drive. *Not bad at all. *Four seasons and a mild climate make it nice.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:02 AM   #33
Guru

All true, Don. What seems extreme is the severity of the outbreaks when the pattern shifts to the east. The 360 +/- tornadoes over a two day period last year was without precedent anywhere in the nation. Ditto with the strength of thunderstorms (in fact, I happened to be standing on the fuel dock at Island Cove last fall when a powerful storm blew in so quickly and violently several of us were looking for a funnel cloud). People who have lived here all their lives consistently talk about a major pattern of change.

Another attribute of the region I failed to mention is good, affordable housing (which I believe you had something to do with).
Old 03-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
angus99 wrote:Another attribute of the region I failed to mention is good, affordable housing (which I believe you had something to do with).
*I owe an apology to Angus at this point.

My comment as to why you want to stay in a place that you get clobbered by tornadoes frequently, was clearly out of line. I've been to Tenn several times in my life and really loved the place. I guess my favorite town is Franklin since an old Navy buddy of mine lives there.

My comment was intended to remind people that, to me, life is the most important thing and everything else can be replaced. Given freezing temperatures, intense heat, constant rain, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc., the one that scares me the most is tornadoes. I will go out of my way to live in a region of the country where this particular threat is minimized.

Again, I'm sorry about my recent remarks questioning why you would want to live there.

Walt
Old 03-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #35
Guru

City: Hotel, CA

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:angus99 wrote:Another attribute of the region I failed to mention is good, affordable housing (which I believe you had something to do with).

My comment as to why you want to stay in a place that you get clobbered by tornadoes frequently, was clearly out of line. I've been to Tenn several times in my life and really loved the place. I guess my favorite town is Franklin since an old Navy buddy of mine lives there.

My comment was intended to remind people that, to me, life is the most important thing and everything else can be replaced. Given freezing temperatures, intense heat, constant rain, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc., the one that scares me the most is tornadoes. I will go out of my way to live in a region of the country where this particular threat is minimized.

Again, I'm sorry about my recent remarks questioning why you would want to live there.

Walt

*Walt,

You are one of the classiest guys on the forum.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #36
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
CPseudonym wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:angus99 wrote:Another attribute of the region I failed to mention is good, affordable housing (which I believe you had something to do with).

Walt

*Walt,

You are one of the classiest guys on the forum.

That's a fact. Not everyone can swallow their pride and put forth a sincere apology. *
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #37
Guru

Carey & Angus:

Thanks for the kind words but in the future I'm going to be extra vigilant about my posts, I really do feel like hell for what I wrote! Home is home, no matter where you live and I'm sure that people that live in that area are as proud of their home as I am of mine.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:
It is an entirely different thing to have ALL those issues looking right at me.

When I look at this picture of my 4550 though it just sends chills up my spine and I can't believe what I am looking at is my boat:

*Tony: Having cruised a little on a 45' Bayliner, I am saddened at the damage you sustained. They are, indeed a great boat.

The impact on your business really hits home to me as I was in business myself for 17 years and had my share of trials & tribulations. The boat can be fixed but the business will require more time and more loss of income until you can declare it successful.

May you have a speedy recovery in both instances.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #39
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:
Walt--- I think most or at least many of us understood what you were getting at with your post.* It's a natural reaction to wonder why one would choose to live in a place that was subject to natural disasters beyond the control of man.* I have asked this in semi-jest numerous times in other discussions about where we all live and boat.* "Why would anyone with a boat live in Florida?" for example.

But I like to think that all or most of us understand that even when someone asks that question they already know the answer as I know you did.

But I also think it was nice of you to go on to explain what you meant and that you did not mean to cast aspersions on how anyone choses to live their lives.** Craig and Carey are right on the money.* You truly are just about the classiest and most considerate and respectful contributer to this forum.

As for Tony there really isn't anything a person can say, I think, that can make the worry and concern and uncertainty about what comes next go away.* I can try to imagine how we would feel if our boat was damaged or destroyed but until it actually happens there's no way to really understand it.

So the best I can do is hope that the recovery and freeing of your vessels occurrs quickly, that the process goes smoothly, and that your insurance comapny, the yards, and everyone else who becomes involved in getting you back to where you want to be with your boating do their jobs quickly and competently and without causing you any additional hassle or grief.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:

Walt

That's good of you, Walt, but absolutely no offense taken. *I had a pretty good idea what you meant, but just felt I needed to list some of the things I love about this area.

As a newcomer to this forum--and a wannabe trawler owner one of these days--it's great to see that there are still places where courtesy and civility are valued.

All the best.

Angus