Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-27-2017, 08:49 AM   #1
Member
 
City: Galveston
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 12
Storage Eastern LI Sound

Hi,
We are currently near Essex CT at Hamburg Cove. We have another 10 days and plan to visit Newport RI and Block Island. Then, we need to fly home for a few weeks. Can anyone recommend a marina in this general area for storing the boat that won't break the bank? Is it advisable to leave it on a mooring ball that long?

Thanks!
Roger 411 Meridian Sedan Bridge.
__________________
Advertisement

Roger275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:01 AM   #2
Guru
 
djmarchand's Avatar
 
City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,843
Portland Riverside Marina is about 25 miles up the river from Essex. They have reasonably priced moorings. Talk to Karen at (860) 342-1911. They don't have launch service there so you have to have a dinghy. But you can tie yours up to their docks or better yet haul your dinghy out and keep it on land until you return.

I have a buddy who spent last summer there. It was safe and secure.

David
__________________

djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:20 AM   #3
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger275 View Post
Hi,
We are currently near Essex CT at Hamburg Cove. We have another 10 days and plan to visit Newport RI and Block Island. Then, we need to fly home for a few weeks. Can anyone recommend a marina in this general area for storing the boat that won't break the bank? Is it advisable to leave it on a mooring ball that long?

Thanks!
Roger 411 Meridian Sedan Bridge.

Since you are going out to BI you will likely want to head back towards the sound for temporary storage.
We have left our boat on moorings in Pt Jeff a few times over the years as it is a reasonably protected harbor , patrolled, with decent prices and launch service.
If you really want to be at a slip instead perhaps consider Townsends in Greenport (call to get a monthly price) or Riverhead.
Over the past 20+ years we have kept our boats on mooring balls all the time when not in use so our perspective would be that there is no real issues with mooing balls that are set up correctly.

Have a great time at Block - any idea where you will be staying there?
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:32 AM   #4
Member
 
City: Galveston
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post

Have a great time at Block - any idea where you will be staying there?
Thanks! Will make some calls. We had heard mooring balls at BI were first come first serve. We would arrive about July 1. You think we can find a spot? Any better idea? Thanks again
Roger275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:41 AM   #5
TF Site Team
 
City: Westerly, RI
Country: USA
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger275 View Post
Thanks! Will make some calls. We had heard mooring balls at BI were first come first serve. We would arrive about July 1. You think we can find a spot? Any better idea? Thanks again
The Saturday of Fourth of July weekend?? You will have a difficult time finding a place to anchor at Block Island and it will be absolutely crazy. You will not find a transient mooring. If you try, there will be 10-20 other boats circling the mooring field waiting, hoping and praying that someone drops off (and they are close when it happens).

In the anchorage you can practically pass beers to the boat anchored next to you as you swing on anchor.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:54 AM   #6
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
The Saturday of Fourth of July weekend?? You will have a difficult time finding a place to anchor at Block Island and it will be absolutely crazy. You will not find a transient mooring. If you try, there will be 10-20 other boats circling the mooring field waiting, hoping and praying that someone drops off (and they are close when it happens).

In the anchorage you can practically pass beers to the boat anchored next to you as you swing on anchor.

Yes - agreed. July 4th weekend is always lacked out to the max on the entire island. We had some great times out there on July 4th but have avoided these packed weekends (like VJ day) for the past 15 years or more.
Perhaps some room at anchor on the far side of great salt pond but on a windy day it can get dicey there as well.
Whatever you do if getting there on the 1st get there real early and plan for flexibility as you will need the patience for mooring, any of the marinas or anchoring this weekend.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:40 AM   #7
TF Site Team
 
City: Westerly, RI
Country: USA
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,839
If you're in the area, Napatree beach (Watch Hill) would be an option if you wanted to anchor. Everywhere will be busy, but nothing like Block Island. There are some transient moorings in Montauk and I would expect to find plenty of room to anchor in Lake Montauk.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:55 PM   #8
Guru
 
jleonard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger275 View Post
Thanks! Will make some calls. We had heard mooring balls at BI were first come first serve. We would arrive about July 1. You think we can find a spot? Any better idea? Thanks again
You will find a place to anchor at Block. It might be in the deeper portion of the salt pond, but you'll find a spot.
Moorings will be a tough thing to find on the 1st.
HOWEVER, after 3 pm you can call the harbormaster and if there is a private mooring free he will let you stay on one until 10 am the next day. For the same fee as the town moorings of course. LOL. That might buy you some time to find an open town mooring or find a good anchoring spot.

For short term storage I would agree with David but if they can't try Yankee Boatyard, which is right next door to Riverside.
Hope this helps.

BTW, We plan to be in Coecles Harbor on Shelter Island for the 4th. Should be fairly quiet.
__________________

__________________
Jay Leonard
Attitude Adjustment
40 Albin
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×