Old 09-17-2016, 12:02 PM   #1

Southern California Marinas

We're making plans to ship our boat ( a MS 430 Aft Cabin) from Florida to Southern California this winter and are looking for advice on marinas. We are looking for places with annual plans between Long Beach and San Diego. We would live aboard about 5 months per year. We are East Coast / Bahamas boaters so any advice will help.

Also, advice on experiences with shipping cos would be useful.
Temptation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:39 PM   #2

Sorry for the drift,but have you gotten prices for the shipping yet.Very curious as to the latest quote,as I am thinking of doing the same thing(in reverse) thanks,you can pm if you like.
tinped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:15 PM   #3
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Do you know where you are going to live/work? Given the distances and traffic, you may be casting way too wide a net. I presume since you are going to the expense of moving the boat, you want to use it lot... even when not living aboard.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 05:07 PM   #4

City: Camarillo
So-Cal Slips

Slips in Southern California are Stupid expensive ! You have been warned.
"The log" - one of our west coast boating rags has a new 2017 publication that covers slips & marinas of So-Cal very well. Down load is free off web site.
it is also available on line at -- THELOG.com
Just to warn you - slips in So-Cal are VERY expensive & many marinas have a long waiting list, often years long.
Also need you paperwork all in order up front.
Last time I looked shipping via ship is about $ 29 K from Florida to Ensenada, Mx. , which is just 80 mil south of San Diego. If you can have you boat under 14 feet tall, then trucking is cheaper.
Also many Marina's do not allow more that 10% of their boats to be live aboard. Most are at their max now ! Some allow ZERO live aboard's. So you are in for a surprise compared to where your from.
Good luck.

MIKE
alfamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 05:28 PM   #5
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Mike is correct. I went through a full cycle in SoCal. In the early 2000s marinas were expensive, waiting lists were long (if they even honored them, most privately owned marinas didn't) and live aboards were impossible. The waiting time for a 40' slip in Dana Point was five years.

Then the great recession hit and all changed for several years. But now the economy is strong and we are back to the waiting lists.

I agree with the previous poster, define where you want to work and then narrow it down from there. There are a few marinas in Chula Vista, south of San Diego that are reasonable. Maybe some in Oceanside and possibly those in Wilmington.

But otherwise- expensive, long waiting lists and no liveaboards.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 05:28 PM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Everything in Southern California is Expensive, so slips are not a surprise, just in line, and there are some lower prices, here and there. It's all a matter of comparison. I didn't find any prices on the site you referred to. Did I miss something?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 06:43 PM   #7
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
All true, including comments regarding live aboards in most marinas.

We have been on the wait list for DP for 4 years now for the west side, and still have about 3-4 more years to go for the east. It is county/rent controlled, and not many marinas in the area so the list is long.

SD, better, but it can still be difficult for longer boats, >40 ft., and especially >50 ft.

Newport Beach - crazy expensive, unless you are a hedge fund manager.

Your best bet may be LA, LB. More industrial, but less $, and probably more availability. You also have easy access to the islands. I have not boated much in the LA/LB area, so I will let others give you better intel.

The Log, as noted, is a very good resource.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:17 PM   #8
Opu

City: Oceanside
Vessel Name: Cheers
Vessel Model: Bayliner 32
Dana West Marina in Dana Point lists a 35' slip for $643 per month. My 34' slip in Oceanside is $510 per month. Dana Point to Avalon is 32nm. Oceanside to Avalon is 46nm. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice.
Opu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:28 PM   #9
Guru

City: West Coast
Getting a slip at the marina of your choice may be surprisingly difficult, especially if you want to live aboard (and expect to pay a significant premium for that privilege). As expensive as they are, it seems that many marinas do not charge a "market clearing" price, with the consequence that the decent and better marinas are typically full, waiting lists are the norm, and some marinas won't even keep a waiting list -- more of a chrony system. If the dockmaster likes you and your boat, you are more likely to be accommodated. The suggestion to use The Log's slip issue as a resource is a great idea, as there is no other comprehensive slip list.

And, from what I have seen, Newport Beach has the highest prices (shockingly expensive) and the least availability -- most of the boats are on moorings.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:42 PM   #10
Guru

City: SoCal and Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opu View Post
Dana West Marina in Dana Point lists a 35' slip for $643 per month. My 34' slip in Oceanside is $510 per month. Dana Point to Avalon is 32nm. Oceanside to Avalon is 46nm. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice.
That slip in Newport Harbor is $1200-$1400/month.
guy with a boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:03 PM   #11
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
It is expensive to ship a large boat across country. It is expensive to buy and sell a boat as well. I would at least consider the option of selling your current boat and buying one in place.

For those of you in CA, if you buy a boat that currently has a slip, can you keep the slip? I know that is the practice in lots of marinas up here.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:31 AM   #12

So-Cal Slips - Very expensive

I think he said he had a 43 footer -- but out here they go by how long you are overall in length & are including things like anchor platform & swim step that could make that measurement be 46 or 47 or more overall.

NOTE: If they only have a 50 foot slip open & your shorter, you still pay for the size of the slip you rent - boat or slip which ever is longer.

Also where we are, they have meters on electric & water & you pay utilities as well in addition, particularly if living aboard.

Plus live aboard fees are on top of that & start at minimum $ 500.00 a month & go up from there to some at $ 1,000.00 a month for 50 foot slip or more additional - just to be able to live aboard, if they even allow that. You could be easily talking $ 2,000.00 + a month for slip rent & live aboard privilege fees every month.
But that is not the end of it. -- but there is more ..........
Plus diver to clean bottom every month.
Plus a fee to have the holding tank sucked out every week which you have to pay if you live aboard as part of the contract even if you don't need it on top of that

Are you sure you want to bring your boat to So-Cal ?

M.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:15 AM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfamike View Post
I think he said he had a 43 footer -- but out here they go by how long you are overall in length & are including things like anchor platform & swim step that could make that measurement be 46 or 47 or more overall.

NOTE: If they only have a 50 foot slip open & your shorter, you still pay for the size of the slip you rent - boat or slip which ever is longer.

Also where we are, they have meters on electric & water & you pay utilities as well in addition, particularly if living aboard.

Plus live aboard fees are on top of that & start at minimum $ 500.00 a month & go up from there to some at $ 1,000.00 a month for 50 foot slip or more additional - just to be able to live aboard, if they even allow that. You could be easily talking $ 2,000.00 + a month for slip rent & live aboard privilege fees every month.
But that is not the end of it. -- but there is more ..........
Plus diver to clean bottom every month.
Plus a fee to have the holding tank sucked out every week which you have to pay if you live aboard as part of the contract even if you don't need it on top of that

Are you sure you want to bring your boat to So-Cal ?

M.
The greater of LOA or slip length is pretty standard everywhere. As to liveaboard fees, i am looking now at Chula Vista's website where they are $300 for two people, $100 for each above two. Electric there is metered, water is free. 48 foot slip is $796.80 per month.

Shelter Cove's live aboard fee is $250 for one person, $100 for each additional. 46' slip is $908.50.

Marina Cortez is $20 per ft. so 46' is $920. Some live aboard but limited and price not given.

46' at Harbor Island is $966.

Here is a San Diego Slip Comparison.

San Diego Marina Slip Fee Comparison - Chula Vista Boat Slips | |

Of course you must pay for bottom cleaning and at some pump out included and others you pay but that's true anywhere.

Southern California is very little different than where we are, until you look at property taxes as there are none on boats in FL.

I know you're further north. Holiday Harbor only goes to 40' but their upcharge is only $100 for one and $75 for each additional.

I know it's hard to find live aboard slips, but don't know where you're finding the prices you mentioned as add on prices.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:04 AM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opu View Post
We were in Dana Point for the night last week, had a little time, so walked around the marina. I noted a disproportionate number of worthless looking boats occupying some very nice slips in what looks like an expensive marina. What are they doing there? Folks holding a slip until their real boat arrives? No Pride Of Ownership? Get the marina to evict those that haven't moved in a year or two and open up some vacancies?
Old 12-21-2016, 09:12 AM   #15
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Keith

Thought you were in Portugal? Yeah, Dana Point's marina is kinda iffy, but it is in La La Land!
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:42 AM   #16

slip & live aboard fees

I stand corrected.

Only $ 800 to $ 966 a month slip rent.

Only $ 300.00 a month for live aboard fees.

Metered only on electricity is not to bad - so maybe $ 200 a month on that.

looks like S/D South Bay, Chula Vista, has the best rates for San Diego.

So under $ 1,500.oo a month is better than I was thinking.

But not exactly a bargain or being given away.

But doable.

m.

M.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:54 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
A couple of years ago we visited several marinas along the SOCAL coast with the specific intention of evaluating them as snowbird destinations.

While we found that the crowds put us off a bit (we live in rural Alaska) the marina that stood out to us was Chula Vista.

The whole way it was laid out with the RV park next door, and the non pretentious, non "yacht club" atmosphere made us like it quite a bit.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:29 AM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Mission Viejo
We live in Orange County and everything negative everyone says about marinas from San Diego to Ventura/Oxnard is very true.
I suggest you do a residential search for waterfront private residential addresses in Huntington Harbor using Reference USA thru your local library.
Once you compile the list, send a snail mail letter of inquiry to each address and see what bites or offers you get.
Tedious work, but it will save you a ton of moola, plus a much more pleasant setting for yacht.
Many of the homes in HH and HBeach are second or vacation homes.
Good luck!
Old 12-21-2016, 11:38 AM   #19
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
There is a broker who handles OC private slips. See the Log for info. But I do.t think they have many if any live aboard slips.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:55 PM   #20
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I would say look at Balboa Island for possible berth as a friend owns a house there but the price is likely gold plated and paid in unobtanium.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote