Old 12-21-2016, 01:25 PM   #21

City: Seal Beach, California
Vessel Name: Snooker (for now.....)
Vessel Model: 1981 34 Californian LRC
I keep my boat in Huntington Harbour and echo much of what has already been said. The way my marina is laid out puts some of the slips in Huntington Beach and some of the slips in Seal Beach. I've been told that Seal Beach allows liveaboards (limited to 10% of their slips with a long waiting list) while Huntington Beach does not allow liveaboards. This puts the private slips behind houses out of the running. Your best bet for availability in the LA area is probably going to be Wilmington/San Pedro/Los Angeles Harbor area. Many of these marinas (not all) are much more industrial and dirty but, as a result, they seem to be much more lax with liveaboard requirements.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
Bustlebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:45 PM   #22
FOG
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
We spent many years in Dana Point slips. Always on and off of waiting lists as we bought larger boats.
One option to consider is a mooring ball in Newport Harbor. It may be less than a slip, but access may be a PITA.
If you are a veteran the American Legion in Newport Harbor also has a few slips for it's members.
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:50 PM   #23
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
I grew up in SC/DP, and worked on the sport fishing boats out of DP in the early 70's-80's.

In general, I think your statement is fairly accurate. There are quite a few boats that are in disrepair. The slips are small, so they have a long term master plan to put in larger ones, but we will probably be dead by then.

But, as discussed, the wait list is VERY long for longer boats.

Overall, I think it is a nice marina, rates are reasonable, and its clean, nice places to walk, etc.

Someone else asked about transferring your slip when you sell your boat. It depends. Most are no, but some yes. Google Santa Barbara if you want to read some drama on that subject.

TLastly, this may not be a popular statement with some on here, but personally I am not a fan of liveaboards anyway, so I don't have an issue with the lack of these. The issues I have had in the past, have generally been living on their boat. But that is for another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
We were in Dana Point for the night last week, had a little time, so walked around the marina. I noted a disproportionate number of worthless looking boats occupying some very nice slips in what looks like an expensive marina. What are they doing there? Folks holding a slip until their real boat arrives? No Pride Of Ownership? Get the marina to evict those that haven't moved in a year or two and open up some vacancies?
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:18 PM   #24
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post

TLastly, this may not be a popular statement with some on here, but personally I am not a fan of liveaboards anyway, so I don't have an issue with the lack of these. The issues I have had in the past, have generally been living on their boat. But that is for another thread.
Liveaboards usually keep an eye out for unusual activity and possible boat problems such as boats taking on water and leaking fuel.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:48 PM   #25

City: marina del rey
Vessel Model: Goldenstar sportfisher
When you consider a 1 bedroom apartment in an area like Marina Del Rey is 3 grand, the slip and liveaboard fees looks a lot better!
Goldenstar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:27 PM   #26
Opu

City: Oceanside
Vessel Name: Cheers
Vessel Model: Bayliner 32
In 1997 the county supervisor responsible for Dana Point Harbor started a program to "revitalize" the harbor. Much of the infrastructure was crumbling; some docks were falling apart, some were sinking, the bulwarks lining the waterways were sliding out of place, many of the utility buildings were rotting and termite-infested....

In the nearly 20 years since a tremendous amount of hot air has been exchanged between people who just wanted the harbor revitalized and those with visions of Disneyland South. There has finally been enough compromise, together with the blessing of the Kalifornia Koastal Kommission, that construction should start next year. We'll see....

Regarding the slip sizes, one of the compromises was to change the ratio of slip sizes to favor larger slips. The total number of slips will stay about the same; given the length of the waiting lists, I don't think the wait for larger slips (say, over 30') will be reduced very much.

After more than 20 years in Dana Point I'm happy to be in Oceanside.
Opu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:13 AM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Los Angeles
Vessel Name: Fire Escape
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3888
I currently keep my Bayliner 3888 at Alamitos Bay, Long Beach. LB has several marinas. Shoreline and Rainbow harbors are across from the Queen Mary while Alamitos Bay (AB) is adjacent to Seal Beach. My 40' slip fee is $680/ mo. Yikes! However there is no charge for utilities, including electricity! Liveaboards are allowed but the cost increases some. Within AB we have a full yard, fuel, pump outs, a million restaurants and I can walk to West Marine in 5 minutes.
Jim Gandee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:03 AM   #28
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Liveaboards usually keep an eye out for unusual activity and possible boat problems such as boats taking on water and leaking fuel.
Agree, and probably anyone who reads TF falls in that category and I would be happy to have them in the slip next to me. Same deal for retired folks, or someone who has a job, is respectful of the docks, and don't act like the mayor because they live there. No issues.

The headaches (mostly sailboats) often drank too much, younger, and needed to get a job. And many of these guys are pumping their black water direct to the ocean.

Somewhat related topic: There are two main anchorages in SD harbor. You have to go on line, and register in advance. During the summer these are often full because the same group of about 20 sailboats run between the anchorages for the max 3 day stay. Many of these guys are in their 20-30's, crappy sailboats with gas cans and Honda gens running, and as noted, need to get a job. It is basically subsidized housing, and we are paying for it.

Ok, got that off my chest.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:36 PM   #29
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Agree, and probably anyone who reads TF falls in that category and I would be happy to have them in the slip next to me. Same deal for retired folks, or someone who has a job, is respectful of the docks, and don't act like the mayor because they live there. No issues.

The headaches (mostly sailboats) often drank too much, younger, and needed to get a job. And many of these guys are pumping their black water direct to the ocean.
Basically marinas have the same task to deal with as landlords of apartment complexes. Ultimately, their selection and actions leads to each marina having it's own culture. That can be a good culture or a bad one. I know some marinas that always have a "waiting list" even when they have empty slips. It's to give them time to do a little checking around.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:48 AM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Mission Viejo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temptation View Post
We're making plans to ship our boat ( a MS 430 Aft Cabin) from Florida to Southern California this winter and are looking for advice on marinas. We are looking for places with annual plans between Long Beach and San Diego. We would live aboard about 5 months per year. We are East Coast / Bahamas boaters so any advice will help.

Also, advice on experiences with shipping cos would be useful.
Walking the docks, looking for boats and talking to people, we learnt marinas management have different levels of tolerance for:
Abandoned boats
Derelict boats
Liveaboard
'Sneakaboard'
Old 12-23-2016, 11:30 PM   #31

City: Ventura
Vessel Name: Tatanka
Vessel Model: 32' Nordic Tug
I shipped my 32 Nordic Tug from ft lauderdale, fl to Ventura ca for about $10,500
Oxnard and Ventura have reasonable mooring rates compared to further south
Tunajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 12:08 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
It is expensive to ship a large boat across country. It is expensive to buy and sell a boat as well. I would at least consider the option of selling your current boat and buying one in place.

For those of you in CA, if you buy a boat that currently has a slip, can you keep the slip? I know that is the practice in lots of marinas up here.
While looking at so cal boats in our ongoing search, many brokers and owners tried to tell us they'll "put a good word for us with the marina to keep the slip". Apparently that referral carries some weight with the marina management, but I doubt it will influence them for liveaboard status.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:17 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Quote:

Somewhat related topic: There are two main anchorages in SD harbor. You have to go on line, and register in advance. During the summer these are often full because the same group of about 20 sailboats run between the anchorages for the max 3 day stay. Many of these guys are in their 20-30's, crappy sailboats with gas cans and Honda gens running, and as noted, need to get a job. It is basically subsidized housing, and we are paying for it.

Ok, got that off my chest.
Unfortunately, insurance or boat finance companies do not make those distinctions among liveaboards.
They're all treated as a higher risk. Some are justified, because of the higher use of the boat, even if it doesn't move.
But the 'derelict' factor affects all liveaboards, for underwritting purposes.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:10 PM   #34

City: San Pedro, CA
Vessel Name: Satori
Vessel Model: 34' Golden Star
Lots of slips available in San Pedro. I'm in Holiday Harbor paying about $615 for a 40' slip.
methridg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:13 PM   #35
TG

City: Oceanside, CA
Vessel Name: Tera Grace
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
You can scratch Oceanside off the list. There are no 43' foot slips available. Live-aboard is a moot point. They do allow subleases but even if you could get one live-aboard doesn't transfer with the sub. Oceanside is one of the only harbors where you can transfer the slip with the sale of a boat. The purchaser supersedes the waiting list so the lists crawl along at a snails pace.

Chula Vista is nice and fairly new but they basically have one ramp to serve all of the slips so it's quite a hike the farther out you are. I saw a lot of dinghy's up by the gate so I assume folks are ferrying.

Pier 32 is another fairly new marina way at the south end of Sand Diego Harbor. You can see the hills of Tijauna as you are just a stones throw away. If you are in this marina it's quite a cruise just to get out to the open ocean. Due to it's location you might find availability.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 01:16 PM   #36

City: Palm Springs
I just checked the Oceanside waitlist for a 40 ft is 4/5 years out.
Paul Ham is offline   Reply With Quote