Old 01-22-2016, 08:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Key West
South Shore of Long Island

All,
I'm planning s summer '16 cruise to the South Shore of Long Island - Peconic Bay to Great South Bay. MapTech chart is on order, but I've not been able to locate a boater's guide book to the area. Does anyone know if such a guide exists? All info will be appreciated.
Fair winds,

George - Grumpy Old Men, Rosborough '03

Uncleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:35 AM   #2
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
About the Guides | Waterway Guide

Excellent resource. Pay attention, it gets skinny in there and some of the inlets are tricky.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:16 AM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers
activecaptain.com is also a very good resource, as caltexflanc stated there are water depth issues, especially in the Moriches Bay area, my recommendation is to head out of Shinnecock Inlet and come back into Fireisland Inlet and then you can go back into the GSB area. Also take note, only a couple places are open to out of towners, Sailors Haven and Watch Hill, try to get there early in the week as they fill up.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Caltexflanc & Marlinmike,
Appreciate the feedback. Active Captain has been a useful resource in planning this trip. I draw 2' and understand that water is thin in places. Fire Island marinas are $$$, so will try to reach Sailors Haven early on a weekday. Plan to use water taxis to visit other Fire Island communities. Will also use anchorages such as Great Gun Beach, and will bring citronella candles. Any other suggestions for anchorages along the route?
Best,
Grumpy
Old 01-27-2016, 09:44 AM   #5
Guru

one of my favorite anchorages is Connetquot River, right across from Sailors Haven, not overly deep 4', but not issues for you, anchor up off the Snapper Inn, there is a nice channel that leads behind the Inn and brings you up pretty far into the river, take main river back, the Bayard Cutting Arboretum is on the west side, very nice also.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Marlinmike,

Your response is timely. Just received an email from the folks at the nearby Maritime Museum which I plan to visit. They mentioned Snappers Inn as a possible dock while I visit Museum. Have you visited Maritime Museum, BTW?
Thanks again for your assistance.
George
Old 01-27-2016, 10:42 AM   #7
Guru

Yes Snapper Inn has transient dockage, mostly for the purpose of those going to the restaurant, some nights it can get a bit loud with outdoor bands on Friday and Saturday nights, during the week its good, or anchoring off is also good. Never to the Maritime
Museum, you will need some type of ride to get there from the snapper though.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:34 PM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleg44 View Post
Caltexflanc & Marlinmike,
I draw 2' and understand that water is thin in places.
2'? Ok, that got me curious. What do you have that just draws two feet?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Rosborough RF-246 - semi-displacement hull.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:32 PM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Rosborough RF-246 - semi-displacement hull.
Makes sense now that I see an outboard. One more of the advantages. I think your boat is such a great approach to a cruising, cabin boat in a small size. I know it might not be technically acceptable to some but I think the term Pocket Trawler is very appropriate for that range. I wish they'd add a larger size with the similar design features and outboards.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Transitioned from sail to power. Researched and boarded many trawler designs before deciding upon the Rosborough, keeping in mind the excellent advice: Don't buy the biggest boat you can afford, buy the smallest boat you can live aboard. Have cruised in complete comfort from Cape Cod through LI Sound/East River/Hudson/Erie Canal/Oswego Canal/Lake Ontario/St. Lawrence/Richelieu Canal/Lake Champlain and return as well as coastal Maine. Envy of many of the bigger boys who were concerned about the cost of fuel and dockage. Added 215 watt solar panel so basically self-sufficient. Has proven to be an excellent choice, and, yes, fully qualifies as a pocket trawler.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:21 PM   #12

City: Kenosha, WI
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Hershine 37
Make sure your tow boat us is paid up. Running aground in GSB is routine. Stay in the channels! Many are not marked and change each year a little. Free anchorages on the bayside with a short walk to the ocean. Great area.

http://savingtortuga.blogspot.com/
Greatlaker221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks,

We putz along at 6/7 knts. Hopefully won't get into too much trouble. GSB - soft bottom?
Old 01-29-2016, 09:11 AM   #14
Guru

Yes, but the Great South Bay isn't really the problem, it's coming through the Moriches Bay. If you are a member of a towing service you can call them when you enter the bay and they can advise you, I have known some people to actually pay for some guidance through there. Being an outboard and low speed at that this greatly reduces your risk. oh yea, it's all sand bottom on the south shore of Long Island.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

BandB,
Nova Trawlers (Nova Trawler. com) does offer a larger version of the Rosborough RF-246. The Nova Trawler 35 has basically the same cabin design (sedan) and layout as the Rossi, but greater length and beam - the Rossi on steriods if you will. The plans include an inboard, but since they build the Novas, perhaps an OB option would be available.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:02 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Two more questions please:
1. Is there a dock/marina at Fire Island Light House? I would like to take a day trip from Sailors Haven.
2. Do the Fire Island water taxis accept credit cards? I've sent query to their website, but no response.
Meanwhile, if you're anywhere in the Northeast, bundle up.
Thank you.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:32 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Does anyone have a Richardson's South Shore of Long Island & New York Harbor Cruising Guide? Now out of print, but it would be helpful as a supplement to MapTech chart. Not available on Amazon.
G.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:58 PM   #18
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Captree Boat Basin isn't far from the Lighthouse; only been there by car. Don't know about the water taxis, we used our Whaler extensively in GSB. Waterway Guide North covers the whole area pretty well.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:43 PM   #19
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
1. Is there a dock/marina at Fire Island Light House? I would like to take a day trip from Sailors Haven.

Thank you.
There is a 40 slip transient boat basin at Robert Moses SP about 2.5 Mi walk from the lighthouse.
Haven't been there but familiar w/ the basin rebuild project several yrs ago.
No fee during the week and $10/ day on wkends... no overnight accomodations (but I have heard some report nobody seems to check???)

Re: Ferries - from their website...
Can I pay using a credit card?
Credit cards are only accepted when purchasing 40 trip ticket books, or purchasing monthly parking passes. All other fare are cash only.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:57 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Thanks,
Look forward to spending time this summer on LI South Shore.