Old 02-17-2016, 10:50 AM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Myers
Cannot answer the question on water taxi, there sure do have a lot of them as I see them running all the time. One thing to keep in mind when viewing a chart of the area, what appears to be lovely nice bay, during a summer afternoon on the weekend the water really chops up from the south west wind and large boat wakes, so the area off the light house (no dockage, nor would you with conditions) to anchor would be VERY rough from traffic and wind.

Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:53 PM   #22
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
There is a 40 slip transient boat basin at Robert Moses SP about 2.5 Mi walk from the lighthouse.
Haven't been there but familiar w/ the basin rebuild project several yrs ago.
No fee during the week and $10/ day on wkends... no overnight accomodations (but I have heard some report nobody seems to check???)

Re: Ferries - from their website...
Can I pay using a credit card?
Credit cards are only accepted when purchasing 40 trip ticket books, or purchasing monthly parking passes. All other fare are cash only.
Pretty sure that's Captree that I mentioned; seemed closer than that but i didn't walk it, let alone measure it.

Agree about being careful where you anchor; the locals will wake you to death given the chance. We tucked in on the north side of Fire Island northwest of Davis Park, wasn't too bad but the weather was beautiful.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:32 PM   #23
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Pretty sure that's Captree that I mentioned; seemed closer than that but i didn't walk it, let alone measure it.
Captree is across the bridge from Fire Island - actually on E end of Oak Island.
There is a State Park, Fishing Pier & Boat basin but I believe it is all permanent / seasonal fishing (charter) boats - not sure if they have any transient docking.

Robt Moses SP is on Fire Island essentially at the end of the causeway bridge from Oak Is to Fire Is. As I said before the 40 slips are all transient day use.

R Moses SP Info
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:30 PM   #24

City: Bohemia
I boat on the South Shore. I can travel from Greenport (North Shore) to Sayville (South Shore) by using the Shinnicock Canal. I never have to go outside in the Ocean. The State Channel goes from Shinnicock in the East all the way to East Rockaway inlet in the west. I can give you suggestions of where to go. PM me an email address. I can give you chart numbers to pick up. With the internet you have all the phone numbers you'll need to reserve a slip. I can tell you where to anchor and where to get a slip. I have been boating these waters for 30 years, I know them well.
chester613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:31 PM   #25
Guru

Hey Chester, it would be great if you could share your knowledge with the forum. What kind of boat do you have? We kind of pussyfooted our way around in there , with a 60 LOA boat and 5ft draft; used the Whaler to explore; would like to go back sometime in a more wieldly "mother boat".

Bacchus: so Captree is closer to the lighthouse than the marina you described.. right? It looked like Captree has a lot of day use, stopped in there to use the bathroom. But I'm working off memory here. Dangerous.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 02-18-2016, 07:00 AM   #26
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post

Bacchus: so Captree is closer to the lighthouse than the marina you described.. right? It looked like Captree has a lot of day use, stopped in there to use the bathroom. But I'm working off memory here. Dangerous.
Yes...you are correct it is closer. It's across the inlet so would have to dingy across. Haven't been there in a long time and that to take one of the fishing charters which is the largest use. As I said I'm not sure what their transient or day use docking situation is.

R Moses boat basin caters to day use transient and free during the week.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:02 PM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Myers
There is no transient docking in Captree, its FULL of head boats and charter boats, not the place you want to be, plus going across in a dingy on the weekend is a real bad idea... Unless you are REALLY into lighthouses I would pass on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Yes...you are correct it is closer. It's across the inlet so would have to dingy across. Haven't been there in a long time and that to take one of the fishing charters which is the largest use. As I said I'm not sure what their transient or day use docking situation is.

R Moses boat basin caters to day use transient and free during the week.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:50 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinmike View Post
There is no transient docking in Captree, its FULL of head boats and charter boats, not the place you want to be, plus going across in a dingy on the weekend is a real bad idea... Unless you are REALLY into lighthouses I would pass on it.
I guess I was lucky, no issue parking my 13' Whaler there, but I was just there for at most 30 minutes using the john, buying a soda, looking around. Perhaps many of the boats you mention were out for the day, as the weather was perfect. When we drove by another time by car, really can't recall noticing how packed it was one way or the other. Thanks for the info.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:37 PM   #29

City: Bohemia
South Shore

The 5 ft. draft would be the biggest problem, but still OK. I came from a 38' sailboat with a draft of 4'2" and some of my friends draw 5'. You could still transit the Sh. Canal, you would have to time your trip west with a high tide at Moriches Inlet. It gets real skinny over that way. The good thing is the bottom is soft sand. At high tide, if you bump, just power right thru. (I can say that from experience).
I have a 27' Ranger Tug. I down sized for a few reasons. I love the boat, had to get used to the limited space.
I see someone mentioned the Connitiquot River. That is one of my favorite hang out spots. I anchor out, usually rafting up with other boats. No need to get a slip. The Snapper has ice, fuel and you can dink in for dinner or a drink.
I also love Fire Island. The slips are mostly owned by towns. There are 2 federal beaches. Watch Hill, across from Patchogue. The slips are 1st class and it's a short walk to the ocean beaches. Sailors Havon is another one, west of Watch Hill. It is across from the Islip or Bayshore areas. There are water taxis on the Fire Island side. You can go from beach to beach. If you like to walk, the boardwalk does the whole thing. There are grocery stores, resturants, bars, all the necessities. There are no cars, so it's very nice. Only the cops and fire dept have cars. Also very few permanent residents have cars. For the most part, you will see more deer then you do cars. Each beach has it's own "theme". There are family beaches, party beaches, gay beaches, RICH gay beaches, nude beaches, regular beaches, it's all good on Fire Island. All you need is a cooler full of beer and some sun block and your all set. I'm not sure of the town owned marina's. Some have different rates for transients, some don't allow transient's, some only allow transients during the week. You would have to go online and check them out. I will be making the trip from Greenport (a great place) to Connetiquot River in August. If the timing is right we can meet up and I can go over the charts with you. chester613@outlook.com
The South Shore is very nice, so is the North Shore. The difference is the depth of the water. The North Shore see's 60', even 100'. The South Shore, you better be in the channel. 6 - 8 ft is normal. There is 20 ft. in the State Channel, that's probably the deepest part. Also the bottom on the North Shore is rocks, the South Shore is soft sand.

Where would you be coming from? New York Harbor is a trip worth making as well. City Island, Manhasset Bay, Port Jefferson, all very nice. You could also go south around Long Island and end up in Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn. Grab a mooring and have some of the best Italian Food in NYC. I would volunteer to help you plan your trip. Let me know where you are starting, how much time you have and what type of activities you enjoy.
Then you could do the same for me. We love exploring new places. In 2017, we are retiring, so we will have a bunch of time on our hands.
chester613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:10 PM   #30
Guru

Thanks Chester, great stuff. We anchored where we did because we had a group friends who were at Watch Hill at the time and the weather was perfect. We'd previously been avid North Shore and CT cruisers on our various forays to/from New England. I really enjoyed jetting around the GSB on the Whaler, but man there are some crazy boaters there (see also: New Jersey and South Florida) the great weather brought them all out.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:51 PM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Key West
South Shore LI

Thanks, Chester,

Will depart Cape Cod and head to Greenport (to pick up a friend) with overnights in Cuttyhunk and Block. From Greenport will head to Great South Bay via Shinnecock Canal. Our plan is to spend several days at Sailors Haven utilizing water taxis/boardwalks to visit FI communities. Will visit the Sunken Forest. Also considering a visit to Maritime Museum in West Sayville. Museum Director stated there is free dockage at the venue for the duration of a visit. My question to you is about anchorages between Greenport and Sailors Haven. Also, any other area attractions you might suggest. Our boat is Rosborough RF-246, 2' draft. Again, appreciate all information.
George
Uncleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:35 AM   #32
Veteran Member

All,
My question is about anchorages between Greenport and Sailors Haven. Also, any other area attractions you might suggest. Our boat is Rosborough RF-246, 2' draft. Appreciate all information.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:49 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Thanks to all who responded to my request for information. Your info was very helpful. Enjoyed our visit this summer ('16) to LI South Shore, and hope to do it again in the future. Rosborough now winterized and awaiting the Spring on Cape Cod.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:12 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: New Haven, Ct
Vessel Name: Irma Jane
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 Pilot
This thread is a year old - but would anyone have recent knowledge of Moriches Bay ICW channel?
Moriches Inlet?
Shinnecock Inlet?

my boat has a 3.5' draft, coming from Fire Island area to Greenport.
wife and I like to see the sights ashore, and we also like to set the autopilot and blast at 15 kts.
: D

Symphony is offline   Reply With Quote