Old 11-02-2018, 08:43 PM   #1
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
South Enough to Avoid Winterizing the Boat?

I am in the (very) early stages of planning a Down East Circle cruise: we'll take 14-16 weeks July-September to travel from NYC upstate, to Kingston, ON then on to Montreal, Quebec and out the St Lawrence Seaway, around Nova Scotia, down the Maine coast, LI Sound and back to, approx., NYC.

We're coming from Australia and at the end of this expedition, we will need to leave the boat somewhere for 2-4 months before returning for another 8-16 week expedition.

I'd like to avoid 'winterizing" the boat. How far south of NYC would we need to leave the boat to avoid 'winterizing'?

Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:48 PM   #2
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
We bought our current boat at a location on the Potomac River. They winterized the boats in the marina there, so further south than that.

Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:07 PM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. A. Our home port was in Camden, North Carolina for 5 years. The only winterizing I did was blow out the water lines (had one burst one year). No engine flush or that sort of thing. We spent New Years aboard on 2 or 3 occasions and it really didn't get below -5C for any appreciable length of time. VERY seldom ice in the harbor BUT it did happen occasionally.
Absolutely NO problems with the marina we kept her at. Reasonable rates and I would recommend the business. Lambs Marina
Old 11-02-2018, 09:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Chocowinity, (Cypress Landing) NC
Vessel Name: Boatwright
Vessel Model: Camano 31
How far south?

Iím in coastal NC, and winterize 12/1 to 4/15.
NCheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:13 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. A. Our home port was in Camden, North Carolina for 5 years. The only winterizing I did was blow out the water lines (had one burst one year). No engine flush or that sort of thing. We spent New Years aboard on 2 or 3 occasions and it really didn't get below -5C for any appreciable length of time. VERY seldom ice in the harbor BUT it did happen occasionally.
Absolutely NO problems with the marina we kept her at. Reasonable rates and I would recommend the business. Lambs Marina
Thanks RT..but geez, -5C?! I can only get that here by putting my head in the freezer. Seriously, I've heard good things about Camden so I really appreciate the tip. Maybe we extend by a month & spend October dropping down from LI Sound and into the n. end of the Chesapeake via Delaware B. and leave the boat at Camden at end-October. Does that sound like a plan?
Old 11-02-2018, 10:17 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCheaven View Post
Iím in coastal NC, and winterize 12/1 to 4/15.
OK thanks NCheaven...that's sobering but useful info. We have in mind to spend mid-April to mid-July in the Bahamas, so perhaps that's actually a fit.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:36 PM   #7
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. A. If your freezer is only -5C you have to set it colder mate. The Australian Food Safety Information Council recommends freezer temperatures in the -18C range.

foodsafety.asn.au ¬Ľ Freezer storage times
Old 11-02-2018, 11:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Pentiction
Vessel Name: Bluefin
Well with all the fuss about climate change and globe warming , and me from the Flat Earth Society, to prevent freeze up i think the equator should be just about south enough for freeze protection.
Have fun enjoy the coconuts.
Ejdakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:43 PM   #9
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
At least as far south as Wilmington, NC but maybe Charleston, SC. Both if in the water. Much further south if on the hard, Jacksonville maybe.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:26 AM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
At least as far south as Wilmington, NC but maybe Charleston, SC. Both if in the water. Much further south if on the hard, Jacksonville maybe.

David
Well attended and watched, I'd choose Wilmington or Southport area. Otherwise, I'd go to at least Myrtle Beach and likely to Charleston.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 01:03 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Well attended and watched, I'd choose Wilmington or Southport area. Otherwise, I'd go to at least Myrtle Beach and likely to Charleston.
OK, when in Rome....looks like I need to start learning about what's involved in winterizing a boat. I wouldn't like to have to run from LI Sound down that far just to park the boat for a 4-5 months. RTF's Camden, NC suggestion has appeal.

Thanks to all for helping my understanding of US geography and weather.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:56 AM   #12
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: YellowBird MMSI 367769170
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship m1 #149
I personally wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my boat in the winter months unattended & not pickled any farther north than Southport NC. Last year I remember people panicking as far south as Jacksonville Florida when a big cold snap came through.
Here's a picture of our creek on the lower Chesapeake last year. Gotta love the pink antifreeze!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1557.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	82493   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1541.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	82494  
Old 11-03-2018, 04:09 AM   #13
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
So I guess that you would be able to pull skiers behind your trawler then...
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:50 AM   #14
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
winterizing can be a simple process. anti-freeze through all water systems (I then drain the heat exchangers and coolers) Removal of all canned goods and anything else susceptible to freeze damage. Up north shrink wrap is advisable. Suspect it's not necessary from VB on down.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:57 AM   #15
Guru

Shawn...pictures worth a thousand words. I'm now thinking I leave LI Sound end-September and spend Oct & Nov getting down to Charleston, SC and leave her there until I return in March. Then down to Fort Pierce or thereabouts and over to Bahamas mid-April-mid-July. I'll start researching Charleston options...
Old 11-03-2018, 11:34 AM   #16
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
Winterizing for on the hard storage in New England takes about a hour or two and maybe 8 gallons of antifreeze for a single, genset, potable water, macerator, and a/c. In the water storage in sub zero conditions is tougher because you have to blow out all of the ball valve cavities.

Read the recent thread on winterizing a Swift Trawler.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:17 PM   #17

City: Buffalo
Vessel Name: Almost Perfect
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 48
Myrtle Beach, on the South Carolina/North Carolina border is about as far north without winterizing. Some nights air temps will be below 0C, but the water doesn't get below 10C.

If you are going to leave your boat for a few months, I suggest a boat monitor, such as Siren Marine or similar.
Rossland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:59 AM   #18
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
I don't know about the other locals, but I have never run across someone here in the New Bern through Morehead City areas of North Carolina who winterized their boat. We never did, but did use block heaters and took care to stuff insulation into the engine room intakes when the boat was at rest. Some others used various forms of heat. Our reverse cycle Cruise Air units produced heat, but according to a good tech, running them a lot, do to living aboard, helped with that. We had several times when the marina shut off dock water and blew the system out with air.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:35 AM   #19
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
The roll of the dice in more southern areas is stuff above the waterline and run close to the hull or in areas far from the bilge or heat...

Such as cockpit/ transom showers or sinks, flybridge sinks or ice makers, etc.

Often they have cheaper plastic parts and often don't survive even the mildest, shortest overnight freezes.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:50 AM   #20
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
I don't know about the other locals, but I have never run across someone here in the New Bern through Morehead City areas of North Carolina who winterized their boat. We never did, but did use block heaters and took care to stuff insulation into the engine room intakes when the boat was at rest. Some others used various forms of heat. Our reverse cycle Cruise Air units produced heat, but according to a good tech, running them a lot, do to living aboard, helped with that. We had several times when the marina shut off dock water and blew the system out with air.
You hit the magic words though in "living aboard." Were I living aboard or near the boat and regularly checking on it, then I wouldn't winterize in that area. But when you're away for a month or two at a time, then it's a bit different. That's when I'd classify that area as borderline.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote