Snow Removal Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HaHa the snow weather sure picks on you Murray.

I saw enough snow in Juneau. You must have special building codes so buildings don’t fall down. And time and money dealing w it.

HaHa the snow weather sure picks on you Murray.

I saw enough snow in Juneau. You must have special building codes so buildings don’t fall down. And time and money dealing w it.

Building code for roofs is 90 pounds per square foot. Big industrial tax base for a fleet of huge snowblowers. Gritty, smug, belligerent perseverance by residents :D

Doesn't look like the light & fluffy stuff there, Eric :D

These are two full sized Post Office delivery vans:

Wifey B: Ut oh. :eek: What happens to:

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.​
:ermm:

Wifey B: Ut oh. :eek: What happens to:

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.​
:ermm:

Canadian Posties don't need a hero motto, we just get it done :D

We've stopped delivery only twice in Kitimat for snow, because people were getting stuck all over town and the RCMP requested vehicles keep off the roads to make it easier for police, fire, and ambulance crews.

Last edited:
This is what the side streets looked like. (Hump left by grader is 4' to 5' high and that's a 2 story house at the end) I'm glad the RCMP shut us down so I didn't have to deliver to the 550 houses on my foot route :eek:

Attachments

• Side Streets, record snow.jpg
    Side Streets, record snow.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Canadian Posties don't need a hero motto, we just get it done :D

We've stopped delivery only twice in Kitimat for snow, because people were getting stuck all over town and the RCMP requested vehicles keep off the roads to make it easier for police, fire, and ambulance crews.

Wifey B: I don't know about Canada, but in the US people make way too much about the urgency of mail delivery every day and if conditions are dangerous to Postal Workers, they shouldn't do it. I remember though when they thought about reducing mail to 5 days a week and there was an uproar. Do people really have urgent items in regular first class mail anymore? Guess I'm missing out because I don't get anything I'm anxious to receive in the mail. :nonono:

Very true. The weak are the first to be taken down. Care and maintenance of your vessel gives it a better chance to survive.

And my snow experience comes from Michigan.
And this topic is a reason I am FROM Michigan.

You can't choose where you were born. You can choose where to sail.

After wrestling with my snowblower for two hours a few days ago, I found myself racking my brain for ways I can save up more quickly, so that I can be FROM upstate New York sooner.

Though looking at Murray's Snowmageddon makes me feel silly for being frustrated with 5" of heavy, wet, slushy snow, and an inch of ice.

Wifey B: I don't know about Canada, but in the US people make way too much about the urgency of mail delivery every day and if conditions are dangerous to Postal Workers, they shouldn't do it. I remember though when they thought about reducing mail to 5 days a week and there was an uproar. Do people really have urgent items in regular first class mail anymore? Guess I'm missing out because I don't get anything I'm anxious to receive in the mail. :nonono:
This old dude remembers when delivery was twice a day! It still is in many countries!:hide:

This old dude remembers when delivery was twice a day! It still is in many countries!:hide:

Wifey B: But why? What are we so anxious to receive that we're willing to pay for all these extra deliveries?

Canada, with its much larger geographical area and 1/10th the population of the US is a very different beast in many things, including postal services.

While lettermail has dropped significantly, Internet parcels/packages have increased to the point where they've overtaken whatever losses happened from the reduction in lettermail volumes.

Amazon Prime can get things to BC's north coast in 2 to 3 days...you bet people are waiting for their letter carrier!

Wifey B: But why? What are we so anxious to receive that we're willing to pay for all these extra deliveries?

While the US postal service may be supported by taxpayer dollars, here in Canada, Canada Post is a 'stand alone' corporation. Since the federal government is the only 'shareholder' and Canada Post regularly sees a profit, there has been over a billion dollars in 'dividends' gone back into the federal government coffers since it was made a stand alone corporation.

Taxpayers do not pay my salary.

Last edited:
While the US postal service may be supported by taxpayer dollars, here in Canada, Canada Post is a 'stand alone' corporation. Since the federal government is the only 'shareholder' and Canada Post regularly sees a profit, there has been over a billion dollars in 'dividends' gone back into the federal government coffers since it was made a stand alone corporation.

As with Canada, the USPS does not receive taxpayer dollars. They are funded by stamp and packaging sales.

As with Canada, the USPS does not receive taxpayer dollars. They are funded by stamp and packaging sales.

Then your postal workers media relations is about as lame as ours, because I keep hearing people complain about their taxes paying my salary :mad:

Last edited:
We live below the snow and above the fog. Photo from this morning. I did, however, run the diesel heater last night and this morning!

Attachments

• 8F71C8E0-B34A-4D6E-B320-50F4A7714043.jpg
    8F71C8E0-B34A-4D6E-B320-50F4A7714043.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

And the USPS loses $4 billion per year, has lost over $70 billion since 2007. It is subsidized and stamp and packaging sales comes well short of funding it's operation. It is an independent agency of the Executive branch of the US government. It receives taxpayer dollars, just indirectly.

At Canadian postal rates, the US post office might also not lose money, or at least not as much.

At Canadian postal rates, the US post office might also not lose money, or at least not as much.

Like I said, much larger geographical area and 1/10th the population. Apples to oranges.

Like I said, much larger geographical area and 1/10th the population. Apples to oranges.

And profitable to losing money. You're right, much different in every way.

My wife's point remains valid though that most US homes could be just fine with fewer days of letter delivery. I'm not talking about parcels or priority items.

Wifey B: Back to snow....poor people up north.

Perhaps if I'd been born in and grown up in Kitimat or similar, I would love it, but the adjustment at this point to cold climates and snow would be awful. :nonono:

And I thought Anacortes would be better than Annapolis in the winter. Chesapeake not looking so bad now.

Which way to Seattle? I hear they need help.

Attachments

• PCH_2019-02-17_13-04_5780.jpg
    PCH_2019-02-17_13-04_5780.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 65
Good Day,

I never thought I would need to shovel IRENE. The marina parking lot and docks were a mess this morning!

Hope your day is filled with sunshine and water NOT in a solid state.

I just wrote this last night for the BC Nautical Residents Association newsletter:
"In the cold season, frost on the docks and slip fingers turns them into skating rinks and it’s easy to be unaware of this, especially when stepping off the boat to secure mooring lines upon returning. My neighbour, Michel, and I each purchased 40’ of 36” x 1/2” hardware cloth (galvanized wire mesh) and, with the marina’s permission, stapled this to the decking on our slip finger. Now our finger is no longer slippery and our footing is secure. One does not want to accidentally fall into the water in any season. Another precaution, thought of by Jude, was to put our boarding ladder over the side of the boat while tied up at the dock. All of our marina docks ride too high above the water to be able to climb out on in the event that someone was to slip and fall in the water. And there are no convenient dock ladders nearby, so having the boarding ladder in the water greatly enhances our safety in the event of an accidental fall.

Snow is also a consideration in the winer. This past week we have had a lot of snow on the BC coast. I always keep a small plastic snow shovel stored away in the hold. While the snow may look pretty when it first covers your boat, in a marine environment it quickly becomes heavy and wet. This is especially true if it starts to rain. Weight aloft is very dangerous for boats, often causing them to roll over. So, get the snow off of your boat while it is still light and fluffy. If your boat is kept in a boat house, there isn’t much you can do to remove the snow from the roof if the boat houses are packed close together, as they are in most marinas. But be aware that boat houses do no guarantee safety in case of snow. This week four boat houses collapsed in our marine due to snow melting off the sunny side of the roof and not the shady side."

I just wrote this last night for the BC Nautical Residents Association newsletter:
"In the cold season, frost on the docks and slip fingers turns them into skating rinks and it’s easy to be unaware of this, especially when stepping off the boat to secure mooring lines upon returning. My neighbour, Michel, and I each purchased 40’ of 36” x 1/2” hardware cloth (galvanized wire mesh) and, with the marina’s permission, stapled this to the decking on our slip finger. Now our finger is no longer slippery and our footing is secure. One does not want to accidentally fall into the water in any season. Another precaution, thought of by Jude, was to put our boarding ladder over the side of the boat while tied up at the dock. All of our marina docks ride too high above the water to be able to climb out on in the event that someone was to slip and fall in the water. And there are no convenient dock ladders nearby, so having the boarding ladder in the water greatly enhances our safety in the event of an accidental fall.

Snow is also a consideration in the winer. This past week we have had a lot of snow on the BC coast. I always keep a small plastic snow shovel stored away in the hold. While the snow may look pretty when it first covers your boat, in a marine environment it quickly becomes heavy and wet. This is especially true if it starts to rain. Weight aloft is very dangerous for boats, often causing them to roll over. So, get the snow off of your boat while it is still light and fluffy. If your boat is kept in a boat house, there isn’t much you can do to remove the snow from the roof if the boat houses are packed close together, as they are in most marinas. But be aware that boat houses do no guarantee safety in case of snow. This week four boat houses collapsed in our marine due to snow melting off the sunny side of the roof and not the shady side."

I dont see how that helps it fills up with ice and overflowing snow and is back to like it is not there. 1/2" of mesh with 6 -12 " over-layer of ice and snow on top?

oh come one on guys - just got back from skiing in Aspen/Snowmass for 6 days - the snow was great:thumb::thumb: And our boat is in balmy Mobile:thumb:

Canada, with its much larger geographical area and 1/10th the population of the US is a very different beast in many things, including postal services.

While lettermail has dropped significantly, Internet parcels/packages have increased to the point where they've overtaken whatever losses happened from the reduction in lettermail volumes.

Amazon Prime can get things to BC's north coast in 2 to 3 days...you bet people are waiting for their letter carrier!

I won't say it's often but more than an oddball situation but we get parcels that started out with FedX or UPS delivered by our mail service, Canada Post. Good for them.

I won't say it's often but more than an oddball situation but we get parcels that started out with FedX or UPS delivered by our mail service, Canada Post. Good for them.

That has happened in the US too and Amazon is also using USPS often to complete their deliveries and getting a lot of complaints about it. Here are some of the criticisms we've heard of turning package deliveries over to the USPS.

-In an apartment or condo complex with an office that will accept deliveries, then the USPS sets the office up as the only delivery point and delivers no packages to individual apartments. While this is minor to many, to elderly and disabled it's a major issue and many have switched to Walmart over it.

-Now this may just be localized but we've heard it from a number of complexes. The USPS is reporting items as being delivered on one day so the recipient goes to the office to get it. However, the package isn't delivered until a day or two later.

-Lost packages with no luck tracing them as the USPS tracing takes a very lengthy time.

That has happened in the US too and Amazon is also using USPS often to complete their deliveries and getting a lot of complaints about it. Here are some of the criticisms we've heard of turning package deliveries over to the USPS.

-In an apartment or condo complex with an office that will accept deliveries, then the USPS sets the office up as the only delivery point and delivers no packages to individual apartments. While this is minor to many, to elderly and disabled it's a major issue and many have switched to Walmart over it.

-Now this may just be localized but we've heard it from a number of complexes. The USPS is reporting items as being delivered on one day so the recipient goes to the office to get it. However, the package isn't delivered until a day or two later.

-Lost packages with no luck tracing them as the USPS tracing takes a very lengthy time.

I've encountered a couple of other Amazon shipping issues which might prove useful for cruisers. As everyone probably knows, Amazon doesn't let you select the shipping method. But at teh same time, Amazon doesn't do diligence to see whether the method they select can actually deliver.

For example.

1) I order something with a ship to street address that UPS and FexEx deliver to, but where there is no USPS service. If Amazon asked the USPS, they would say it's not a deliverable address, because it isn't. But Amazon still regularly tries to ship via SurePost which is UPS to the local post office, then USPS delivery to the final destination. Packages sit at the post office or get rejected, all with no notification. If they are at the post office, I have to drive 10 miles round trip to get it. Might as well go to a store.

2) I ordered something and the only place that could receive it was the post office via General Delivery. The marina would not accept packages. So I ordered with a shipping address of General Delivery at the specified post office. This one Amazon shipped UPS through to the final destination, but the post office won't accept UPS deliveries. So the package got stuck inside UPS until they finally returned it to Amazon as undeliverable. I could have gone to UPS to pick it up, but it would have required renting a car and the better part of a day driving.

Back
Top Bottom