Old 05-30-2017, 02:07 PM   #1
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
Slip Width?

The boats I am considering generally have beams in the rage from about 14' to 15'. The marina that I'm looking at has slips (of the right length) that are either 17' or 19' wide.

So what do you think? With a 15' beam is a 17' wide slip too narrow? The price difference is only about $20 per month, so do you think I would be much happier with the wider slip, for that price?

If I end up with a beam closer to 14' would that make the 17' slip more reasonable?

Just want to hear some more experienced opinions on what is a comfortable clearance between beam and slip width.

Thanks!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:21 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Are the docks fixed or floating? fixed docks typically need more width. 1 ft of each side is tight, even for floating docks. You'll barely be able to get fenders deployed.

How exposed to wind and waves? Ideally in a blow you'd like to be able to tune the lines so you're not rubbing on the dock and pilings.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:24 PM   #3

City: Cape Cod, MA or Fort Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Her Shine. Newburyport
As long as my trawlers beam fits the width of slip it's further down on my list of requirements. Tight Fairways, Currents, wind, wave protection, distance from car, pool, loud tiki bars ,view, neighbors, pump out and other personal wants
Capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:40 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
You should have no problem and consider yourself lucky. The marina were in now, most of the 40'-45' slips are 15 wide. We're 43' x 15'8".

For the extra $20/month I'd go for the wider slip though. More privacy and easier to work on the boat in the water if you need to do any waxing on the hull, side tie a dinghy, etc.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:00 PM   #5
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Go for the wider slip.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:35 PM   #6
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Wider is usually better.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:47 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
For $20 per month, I would opt for the wider slip.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:52 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
I would go for the wider slip . We just did and got a better view to boot. Now we can float the dinghy next the boat .
Old 05-30-2017, 05:38 PM   #9
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Go wider. Our beam is 15.5' and the slip is 20'. I like the extra width because with the dock lines all secured the boat is centered in the middle of the slip and I don't need to use fenders.

We back in and board at the stern so no need for a side boarding.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:44 PM   #10
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
I'd be with those that say wider. Especially nice if there's some wind when backing in and you can use a pole as a pivot to line up, and even be a bit sloppy and make it. I boated from a slip with a buddy for awhile that had 1 foot on each side (45 ft boat), and in the winds it was really hard and often had to try a few times when the gusts took over.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:00 PM   #11
Guru

City: Chicago/Montrose Harbor
Vessel Name: Sea Jay
Vessel Model: Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
At my marina they are all double berths. I also got the one next to me.....I wanted a wider target AND the second dock box for all my "stuff"
Gmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:03 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Having pulled in/back in to both wide and narrow slips, my preference is for the wide slips. But then I do not yet have perfect control of my boat in docking.

Maybe in the next life.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:04 PM   #13
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmarr View Post
At my marina they are all double berths. I also got the one next to me.....I wanted a wider target AND the second dock box for all my "stuff"
Now that is one expensive dock box.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:06 PM   #14
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Agree thus far with the suggestions of wider slips BUT don't get one too wide. We're 15' beam in a 22' wide slip. Tough to adjust the lines without sliding the boat back and forth and nigh on next to impossible with the wind blowing the wrong way...Goldilocks...

Mr. Gm. You've got too much "stuff".
Old 05-30-2017, 06:07 PM   #15
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
I'd always go for the wider. Boats keep getting bigger in all dimensions and there are many marinas around the country redoing their docks. They had waiting lists for larger slips and a lot of empty smaller slips.

Not unlike this issue, a lot of homes were built during the 70's fuel shortages and the move to compact cars. You'll know if you ever try to park an SUV or Van in a garage in a mid-70's home. Mostly a problem in mid priced developments with small lots around that time.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:09 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We have the river width to work with. We side tie to our boardwalk and only have about 150' on the outboard side. Easy getting in and out...
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:13 PM   #17
Guru

City: Chicago/Montrose Harbor
Vessel Name: Sea Jay
Vessel Model: Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Now that is one expensive dock box.

Second slip is 50% AND the Dockmaster is my neighbor so lots of help, free advice too
Gmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:59 PM   #18
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
Wow, you guys are so lucky. The slip at our house is 16' 4" at it's narrowest point which is right as you pull in. Our boat is 16'. No other option if we want to keep it at our townhome. Keeping it at home is paramount for us. So we point the pointy end in and go in. We do bounce some times but we have very little distance to go from side to side to get any momentum. Just grease the pilings every now and then. Well just kidding with the grease. Helps that the aft of our boat is probably about 15' or so. All this being said I would go bigger if I could.
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:47 AM   #19
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
The boats I am considering generally have beams in the rage from about 14' to 15'. The marina that I'm looking at has slips (of the right length) that are either 17' or 19' wide.

So what do you think? With a 15' beam is a 17' wide slip too narrow? The price difference is only about $20 per month, so do you think I would be much happier with the wider slip, for that price?

If I end up with a beam closer to 14' would that make the 17' slip more reasonable?

We have a 15' beam, and we're in a 17' wide slip, fixed dock, with piles. Works fine. Wider wouldn't be useful. I keep intending to add some rubber bumpers to the mid-ships piles, but then I've been meaning to do that for about 10 years now...

The boat next to us, newly arrived, has about a 16½' beam, and his 17' wide slip works for him, too.

-Chris
Old 05-31-2017, 07:33 AM   #20
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Beam is usually measured at hull widest, up on the shear line. Down near the water line where fenders rub on floating docks, hull usually narrower. So depends if you are piling tying or against floaters. But yep, for 20bucks I'd go wider.

Ask marina if you can test fit your boat in the two slips and see what you like the best. Could be other reasons (view, neighbors, walk distance, current, wind exposure) that might be more important than width.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote