Shrink wrap vs tarps.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With care and some tape you can re-use the shrink wrap the next year. I once got 3 years out of one.

I had a 34 trawler and reused the shrink wrap for years. Was able to put it on myself but it is a lot of work. Can lead to damage to the boat if you don't secure it correctly and repair the damage from year to year. I needed to constantly check on it. Would not recommend it unless you check your boat weekly and repair damage as it occurs.

Thanks all for your input. We are going to have it wrapped. They wrapping company seem professional and explained the framing and vents and mildew packs ect. Having a zipper put in for winter projects.

At times like this, I'm happy we live in the South with very little snow. We can easily fly to CO and ski our hearts out, but our boat is toasty in a covered slip in MS. :thumb:

Having grown up boating for a couple decades in NY and ME... now having boated for decades in SF CA area... this thread makes me well recall the trials and tribulations of outdoor winter storage preparations and season long maintenance. As well as, the frigid temps while working inside covered boats on the hard. Man, in years past, my hands used to get really, really cold!

When oil prices shot up so did shrink wrap, only they never came back down, we switched to custom fitted canvas bridge cover and cockpit cover and we have been using them for 15 years so got more then my monies worth, I hated having it put on in Nov and removed in March and you had this whole pile of plastic and wood, terrible waste. Another driver is our yard will not allow loose covers, which I don't blame them as down on the water they shred pretty fast. Get canvas and don't look back!

Yep I agree but I am also looking at replacing all my flybridge isinglass this year. Add that with a 46’ piece of canvas and all looking at a cool 20k. About 10 more than I have budgeted for niceties this season. But perhaps a canvas the following 2021 season.

@ PasadenaPhil -

Sounds like you’ve made your decision which is great. Last year, I bit the bullet and bought the equipment & supplies to do it myself. As Capt. Tom alluded to, I wanted to avoid any delays after cleaning the boat, be able to customize the enclosure so I can work inside off-season and, of course, save money in the long run.

In future, you may be interested to know that you can get the “accessories” direct from any of the major shrinkwrap suppliers for less money and install yourself. For example, shrinkwrappers routinely charge $75-80 for a zipper door, but you can buy one for $30 + $5 for shrink tape to install, and you can reuse it season after season. Ditto vents and the like. Don’t be afraid to negotiate for a basic scope and save $100 here & there.

Last edited:
We do it ourselves.

$130CAN ( thats about $14.95US) for shrink wrap (45X24) and about 6hrs work.

Bought the propane gun years ago for about $300CAN

Attachments

• Unicorn boat.jpg
    Unicorn boat.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Unicorn head.JPG
    Unicorn head.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 57
In future, you may be interested to know that you can get the “accessories” direct from any of the major shrinkwrap suppliers for less money and install yourself. For example, I was charged $75-80 for a zipper door, but you can buy one for $30 + $5 for shrink tape to install. Ditto vents and the like. Don’t be afraid to negotiate for a basic scope and save $100 here & there.

You beat me to it. I was going to point out that putting in your own zippered door and vents isn't rocket science. Do spend the $$ on a roll of quality shrink-wrap tape though.

You don't really need to buy a door; cut out the bottom and sides until you have a "flap." Tape the edges and use tarp hold-downs and a couple of bungee cords to keep the flap down.

You beat me to it. I was going to point out that putting in your own zippered door and vents isn't rocket science. Do spend the $$ on a roll of quality shrink-wrap tape though.

You don't really need to buy a door; cut out the bottom and sides until you have a "flap." Tape the edges and use tarp hold-downs and a couple of bungee cords to keep the flap down.

Very true. Although it’s worth pointing out that a zipper door eliminates loose edges that can flutter in wind and it keeps out the birds, mosquitoes and dust. : )

Very true. Although it’s worth pointing out that a zipper door eliminates loose edges that can flutter in wind and it keeps out the birds, mosquitoes and dust. : )

Velcro??

Right, I mentioned using bungees or something, and reinforcing the edges. Any flapping in the breeze and your whole cover could be compromised!

I usually remove the cover by the time the mosquitoes are out, and can honestly say I've never had a problem with birds or dust, given I only cut a flap big enough to get in and out. And if I'm working inside, the flap can stay closed if those became a problem.

Right, I mentioned using bungees or something, and reinforcing the edges. Any flapping in the breeze and your whole cover could be compromised!

I usually remove the cover by the time the mosquitoes are out, and can honestly say I've never had a problem with birds or dust, given I only cut a flap big enough to get in and out. And if I'm working inside, the flap can stay closed if those became a problem.

What about rodents getting in? :eek:

What about rodents getting in? :eek:

Good point. Whether tarp or shrink-wrap, in some places that's a consideration.

The way my boat sits on stands, there's really no access, and even if they got "in" the cover, the cabin is still buttoned up so there's not a lot of damage they could do. But I've seen it in other places, and rodent damage can be a disaster!

At the marina where I bought the boat, they had muskrats. Boat owners there had to put plugs in their exhaust or the little guys would make their home inside.

Pasedena!! Are you kidding. What for...keep the dust out?? Even in the very wet area I am in all you need is a little
air flow to control moisture. I leave a few portholes unlocked, not open,just unlocked, providing a cross flow of air and leave all storage doors open

We were told at the marina where we purchased our boat that they didn't allow shrink wrap to be installed by the boat owners due to insurance reasons, not that I could have done it from 1200 miles away.

We were told at the marina where we purchased our boat that they didn't allow shrink wrap to be installed by the boat owners due to insurance reasons, not that I could have done it from 1200 miles away.

That is probably because there are quite a few cases of boat owners catching their boat on fire and then in turn spreading to other boats nearby.

Back
Top Bottom