Shore Power Cord

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kartracer

Guru
Vessel Name
M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Make
45ft Bluewater Coastal
My boat is 5 feet from power supply and I have 30 feet of extra cord on the deck. Should I put unused cords in a container, of some sort, rather than just on the deck in the weather. Would this prolong the life of the cord?

Look at Cablemaster products.

My boat is 5 feet from power supply and I have 30 feet of extra cord on the deck. Should I put unused cords in a container, of some sort, rather than just on the deck in the weather. Would this prolong the life of the cord?

Personally I would make a short cable just for this application.
I'm not sure if you can buy shorter than 15ft. But they are available if your not comfortable making one.

Unless you plan on shortening the cord at a later date, boxing the extra cord doesn't protect the exposed portion.

Ted

I'd make up a short cord and use that at your home dock, leave it installed on the dock when you travel, only use the longer cord for traveling. Makes leaving at returning much faster.

Yes, our retro-fit Glendinning Cablemaster is a wonderful thing. :)

-Chris

Yes, our retro-fit Glendinning Cablemaster is a wonderful thing. :)

-Chris[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. Best value for boat bucks.

Unless you plan on shortening the cord at a later date, boxing the extra cord doesn't protect the exposed portion.

Ted

Good point.

You can buy a cover for the entire cord or you could make a short cord. Only if you are sure you can do it correctly. It might cost as much for the parts as an entire manufactured 25 ' cord though.

You might be able to find someone to give you an old cord with one end damaged or sell it cheap. Then, you would only have to buy the other end.

I'd make up a short cord and use that at your home dock, leave it installed on the dock when you travel, only use the longer cord for traveling. Makes leaving & returning much faster.

Dtto! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_1221.jpg
    IMG_1221.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
I have about 15 ft of extra, which I wrap around the dock box. Every 6 months, I pull it off, and wipe it down with Colinite, or 303 UV spray to keep it from degrading, and building up the black stickies. It still turns color, but the outer jacket is still in good condition.

Hang the cord coil on the power pole and forget that it's 30' long. Suppress your anal retentive nature and be happy.
Buying a shorter cord or making one will cost you the same or more than a 30' standard power cord because they mass produce them.
In a perfect world a cord that was just the perfect length would be great. But this is boating. Worry about your boat zincs, the growth on the bottom and how your going to keep your bow thruster clean. [emoji41]

Every time we're aboard, we learn something new. Last weekend, we learned that it's easier and less exciting to leave the engines in neutral and walk the boat back out of the slip; we both handle docklines and hang them on pilings as we pass. This weekend, we learned that the shore power cord is a very competent dock line...

Hang the cord coil on the power pole and forget that it's 30' long. Suppress your anal retentive nature and be happy.
Buying a shorter cord or making one will cost you the same or more than a 30' standard power cord because they mass produce them.
In a perfect world a cord that was just the perfect length would be great. But this is boating. Worry about your boat zincs, the growth on the bottom and how your going to keep your bow thruster clean. [emoji41]

Ah yes, but you're forgetting that coiling the cord while in use creates inductance (similar to resistance) which will produce heat in the cord and reduce the available voltage at the boat.

Ah yes, but you're forgetting that coiling the cord while in use creates inductance (similar to resistance) which will produce heat in the cord and reduce the available voltage at the boat.

Perhaps- but coiled cable in a cablemaster doesn't seem to be much of a problem...

The Glendenning device is the way to go.
If you don't want to spend the big bucks, it is very easy to make a cord of any length you want. The terminals in the connectors are all color coded. Even someone dumb enough to own a boat can do it.

Am I on camera?[emoji15]
Is this getting Punked?

Seriously I have never experienced warm cords
Or voltage drop due to coiled cords.
So is this a problem in theory or for real??

Oh...don't worry, we have been repeatedly reminded pro electricians are required because boaters can be dumb enough not to follow color codes. :D

Am I on camera?[emoji15]
Is this getting Punked?

It's sarcasm. It is true though.

As for people getting the colors wrong, don't laugh, I've seen it done many times. I've also responded to a guy who wondered why the wires kept coming out. He didn't know you are supposed to tighten the screws. Seriously.

He had a college degree.

Perhaps a better option than coiling them would be to dangle the excess in the water so that they can be kept cool.

OK, I confess: I Googled inductance and coiled wire. Y'all can, too.

I wanted to know whether hanging the coiled shore power cord in the water would keep your slip ice-free.

Last edited:
Am I on camera?[emoji15]
Is this getting Punked?

I have experienced the heat build up in a coiled cord. But never in a large shore power cord.

Not to say it can't happen. My guess is it happens only if the cord is under a high amp load.

Ok we've got a coiled wire with AC current flowing through it. Can we make an armature spin or maybe magnetize a screw driver?:D

My theory hat is a little dusty but I believe that since the two current carrying conductors are parallel with opposing current directions, the generated inductance of each would be equal and opposite resulting in zero. Confined heat (tight coil with inadequate airflow) from voltage drop can cause overheating & melting of the insulation.

A nice loose coil on the dock shouldn't be an issue but I would make up a short cord. Cleaner dockside and minimal voltage drop.

Since we bought a new cord, we use the old one as an electric blanket to warm the bed.:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom