Shore Power Cord

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
giphy.gif

How about those yellow Cord Pro Reels for shore power cords I have one and have used it often. I never noticed heating of the cord but never checked for it either. In my case most of the cord is usually unwound when in use, but I can see if a power post is close to the inlet on the boat a good bit of the 50' cord could be wound up in side.
here is a link to their site http://www.cordpro.com/cpxl.html

Am I on camera?[emoji15]
Is this getting Punked?

Seriously I have never experienced warm cords
Or voltage drop due to coiled cords.
So is this a problem in theory or for real??

Nope... This is actually a thing. In the theater and on concert tours, we have to figure 8 the feeder lines to prevent them from overheating. Is there enough to do it on your boat? Maybe or maybe not. If you have a long extension cord on a spool at home, plug it onto a large load. Something that pulls a good 10 amps and let it run for a little while. Come back and check the spool... it WILL be warm. Partially just from the high amperage, but also because of the creation and collapse of the magnetic field creating inductive current into itself.

Perhaps a better option than coiling them would be to dangle the excess in the water so that they can be kept cool.

I hope this is just a joke. Shore power cords in the water are the number one cause of stray current in marina's. This is an absolutely horrible suggestion.

If it's a joke, try a smiley face emoticon or an LOL or something.

As far as leaving shore power cords behind on seasonal or long term slips, please remember to turn the power off at the post when you leave. Don't leave a hot shorepower cord sitting on the dock. This is in case it rains or someone accidentally kicks it into the water.

Rest assured it was not a serious comment. :rofl:

I didn't think anyone here would actually read that and think it would be a good idea. :facepalm:

:eek:

Perhaps a better option than coiling them would be to dangle the excess in the water so that they can be kept cool.

You can put the extra shore power cable in the water to keep it cool, but be sure and tie off a support line so the weight of the cable does not pull on the plugs.
Also you need to be sure and have the correct licenses, depending on how long you stay at the dock. With a long stay you will need a harvest license for clams that are growing on the shore power cable when you retrieve it.
By putting a heavy power load on the cable a few hours before departure you will be able to remove the half baked clams off the cable easier and cook time for the clams in your stew will be shorter. After bringing the shore power cord aboard, wash it off, dry it off and use 303 to bring back the luster of the power cord, as if it was new.
Happy Cruising.

Lol

You can put the extra shore power cable in the water to keep it cool, but be sure and tie off a support line so the weight of the cable does not pull on the plugs.
Also you need to be sure and have the correct licenses, depending on how long you stay at the dock. With a long stay you will need a harvest license for clams that are growing on the shore power cable when you retrieve it.
By putting a heavy power load on the cable a few hours before departure you will be able to remove the half baked clams off the cable easier and cook time for the clams in your stew will be shorter.
Lol
If you and your friends are allergic to shellfish, would it be ok to antifoul the cord, if so, which antifoul would you suggest?:D
Seriously, how does electrical current escape a cord partially in the water?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom