Seattle, Sidney, Vancouver and environs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daveo

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Navigator
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 46
Hello,
Trying to keep my questions in the right place, forgive me if in my internet ignorance I misstep. Looking forward to my new boat, and first boat in years, later this month. I'm buying in Seattle and would like to enjoy the PNW for an indeterminate time, probably all this summer, before heading for Panama. Looking for advice on the nicest friendliest, most convenient and all around greatest place to base the boat for a while. I will be commuting from East coast so close to major airport is helpful. Also want to be in Vancouver for a week in June so looking for a stellar recommendation for transient moorage there. Currently the boat is at Elliott Bay and they tell me that means I can keep it there, but I hear they don't allow lives boards so maybe they will give me the boot. All suggestions welcome and thank you in advance. Dave

Hey Dave,
You mentioned you will be commuting from the East Coast, so that means to me that you will be living on the East Coast and coming out to spend some time on your boat. You might want to check to see what Elliot Bay marina considers living aboard.

Hey Dave,
You mentioned you will be commuting from the East Coast, so that means to me that you will be living on the East Coast and coming out to spend some time on your boat. You might want to check to see what Elliot Bay marina considers living aboard.

Don't ask. You are not a live aboard.

We are at Elliott Bay. As long as you don't start putting out begonias, or hanging your wash over the dock, you won't be hassled. There are many people staying aboard, but not living aboard. Great place. If you do stay there and are paying moorage, make sure you get the parking sticker. If you're using a rental, you can still access the parking lot at night when security is at the entrance.

I can second BCam. We are at Shilshole but have friends at Elliott Bay. Their official policy is no more than 14 nights a month. The policy is apparently per the terms of their lease. The Mukilteo Tribe actually owns the property. But I know several folks who stay aboard quietly and have no problems. I believe that TF member Pau Hana is in Elliott BAy. You might send him a pm and ask.

DaveO

Re Vancouver. You can anchor in False Creek. We normally tie up at Coal Harbour.

You have received first hand factual advice from THD, Twistedtree and bcam. Caution, be very aware of WA taxation on non resident boats left there vs time.

If you intend to travel to B.C. and if you belong to any yacht clubs then you may be able to claim reciprocal moorage for a few days at a time at several clubs in B.C.:
--Royal Victoria YC, Victoria and Tsehum hbr.
--Capital City YC, Tsehum hbr.
--Nanaimo YC, Nanaimo
-- Maple Bay YC, Maple Bay [Duncan]
--Royal Vancouver YC, Vancouver,
--Burrard YC, North Vancouver
--Vancouver Rowing CLub, Vancouver
--False Creek YC, Vancouver

There are others depending upon where you intend to go specifically.
Contact them first though and find out for sure what the charges are, tie up limits, and general policies. Busses, cabs, rental car and walking will get you about.
Works only if you are a member of a YC though.

Dave-just to add to y lst post and to expand on Sunchaser's excellent point.

I talked to a friend today who does live on his boat in Elliot Bay Marina. While they officially do not allow liveaboards, they do have an "extended stay" dockage rate that is roughly 40-50% more than the standard rate. The effect is to allow you to stay aboard for an unlimited period.

Sunchaser raises a good point. In WA, if the sale is through a broker or dealer, the broker/dealer will add sales tax to the deal and collect it. It can be expensive, in Seattle, the rate is 9.6% with no ceiling. However, if you certify at the time of the sale that you will be leaving WA in 45 days, no sales tax will be collected. In lieu of that, you can purchase a non-resident cruising permit that will allow you to keep the boat in WA and cruise for up to one year. It is not renewable. The key point here is that you must commit to buying the permit at the same time you buy the boat and you must buy the permit through the same broker/dealer handling the sale. You cannot buy it later or buy it from another dealer. Also, it is only available to persons, i.e. the permit cannot be sold to a business entity, corp, LLC, partnership etc. If you purchase the permit, you will not have to pay sales tax on the purchase nor will you have to register the boat in WA.

Hope this is helpful.

Thank you all for the input, it is very helpful. Suggestion on cruising guide duely noted, I am planning to ask which guides are most favored in another thread. Dave

You may want to look into Sydney Vancouver island. The Victoria airport is just 10 minutes away. There are a few marinas to look at. You are close to the San Juan's and the Gulf islands. We kept our boat at Van Isle our first year and have been in Bellingham our second year. Bellingham has good connections through Seattle. Lovely town with nice and very reasonable harbor...$525 per month for a 50ft slip. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, looks like I will "buy the year" in Washington state just to eliminate any urgent need to move. Still thinking of heading for Panama when the weather cools.

If you want to be up north, you might consider keeping the boat at Anacortes or at one of the marinas in the San Juans or Gulf Islands, flying into Seattle and taking Kenmore Air float planes to wherever you are moore. You'll have a better choice of flights from the east coast. Regarding length of stay, you should check with the WA State Department of Licensing. I think you can only stay a certain period without a Washington registration (look under pay-up in the dictionary). I don't remember whether it is 6 months or 60 days. Good luck. Hope to see you out on the water.

Van Isle or Port of Sidney Marina are 2 choices that are easy to get to from Victoria Airport, actually located in Sidney. Transfer in Seattle to one of several carriers, take a 10-minute cab ride to either one, and you're in the heart of some great West Coast cruising grounds. Port of Sidney has a grocery store within walking distance, lots of great food, and the $ is strong up there right now.

Sidney and Anacortes, San Juan Islands

We are also partial to Sidney. It's a walkable area with top-shelf food choices. Easy bus ride to the culture in Victoria if you need shore excursions. Very close in protected waters to numerous weekend destinations, varying in scope from five-star marinas to anchored/stern-tied at a deserted island. We like the Port of Sidney Marina, but have not checked rates. The current exchange rate is a bonus. If the logistics of getting there work for your situation, this is a top pick.

Anacortes would probably be a consideration as well, strictly due to its proximity to the islands. Good location for heading out and a fine marina, though we have found the town generally unremarkable. Getting there for the weekend from Seattle might be a terrible slog up the I-5.

The San Juan Islands offer some unique options as well, IF you can utilize Kenmore Air for your logistics.

+1 on Sidney. Sab Hai Thai on the main street (Beacon) on the left, is a fine place to eat. We are also fond of the Rum Runner at the marina. The rates are reasonable, the staff is nice. Easy access to transport. Nothing to complain about, all good!

What I think I know.....
if you purchase a boat in Washington you have 45 days to "get out" or the Washington tax is imposed.

New law allows 180 days in Washington once you return- No permit required.

Ken

Ten years ago voted Sidney, still there. Easy flights in and out. Everything thing is there and within walking distance.

Agree with all that said Sidney. Marina is great, as is the city. Only thing to add is get a NEXUS pass makes traveling between the US and Canada as easy as it can get.

I can second BCam. We are at Shilshole but have friends at Elliott Bay. Their official policy is no more than 14 nights a month. The policy is apparently per the terms of their lease. The Mukilteo Tribe actually owns the property. But I know several folks who stay aboard quietly and have no problems. I believe that TF member Pau Hana is in Elliott BAy. You might send him a pm and ask.

Late to the party here...

We're at Shilshole Bay Marina. EBM has a few grandfathered liveaboards, but are not allowing any new.

We live in the San Juan Islands and travel to SeaTac. Have used Kenmore as well as the airporter shuttle. It's a 3 hour excursion when you factor connections or land and ferry travel. But we also will fly out of Bellingham often which is a much shorter trip for us. The Bellingham Marina is worth checking out as is Cap Sante Marina in Anacortes. IMO very nice towns with terrific access to all the beautiful islands.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom