Old 12-06-2019, 07:26 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Bailey
Vessel Model: 46' Grand Banks Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recb View Post
Referring to Mr. Stiggy’s post, interesting question. Not so long ago I saw an announcement for Trawlerfest in Seattle in early April 2020, but now there is nothing on there website about such a Trawlerfest.
Same. I’d actually head down to Stuart but I was looking forward to pacnw specific seminars.
stiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:43 PM   #22

City: NW Washington State
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
For us up in Bellingham it was always 60 minutes to Everett, 90 minutes to Seattle, barring bad rush hour traffic. Those days are long gone. I left a class recently in the south Lake Union area and it took me exactly 3 hours to get home, TWICE what it should.

I'm not anti-tech and I'm not anti-development, but transportation planners in the Pacific Northwest have NEVER, EVER understood the population growth curve that this region "enjoys."

Hell yes we'll go to Everett, in a heartbeat!

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama
Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:56 PM   #23
Guru

Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
[quote=gfc;826250]
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:58 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
The water in the lake is for boats, however, the land under the lake water belongs to the State of Washington and is heavily regulated by the Department Natural Resources. No building on the water without their approval.
This is mostly correct. However, there are some big chunks of land under the water, on Lake Union, that are privately owned. There are also some grandfathered in development rights, deals that were made in the 50’s that waved current shore line restrictions.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:34 PM   #25
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
tiltrider, are those private sections closed to anchoring? I understand much of Lake Washington is closed to dropping the hook but I didn't realize that Lake Union was similar.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:35 PM   #26
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by localboy View Post
I’m the opposite. I live up north and despise going into Seattle far any reason. I have to go there for work. That’s already too much. Everett is maybe 15-20 minutes away. I’ll go look at boats I could never afford without winning a lottery.

I’m with you!
Old 12-07-2019, 01:33 PM   #27

Vessel Name: Conundrum
Vessel Model: Nordlund 63' Pilothouse
Quote:
tiltrider, are those private sections closed to anchoring? I understand much of Lake Washington is closed to dropping the hook but I didn't realize that Lake Union was similar.

No overnight anchoring in lake union. Day anchoring only during special events. For example July 4th fireworks they allow it.
tozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:51 PM   #28
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Thanks Tozz. A followup question to that info: What is the best area to anchor in to see the fireworks (crowding doesn't bother me too much) and how early does one need to be there to get a decent spot?
Old 12-07-2019, 04:29 PM   #29
Guru

All of Lake Union is considered to be a channel. Hence, no anchoring in channels. Anchoring rules are not enforced on the 4th of July or on the Tuesday night duck dodge raft up.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:33 PM   #30
Guru

As far as anchoring on Lake Union for 4th of July. Some were around 9pm the police close down the safety zone which means you can no longer get into the Lake to anchor. So any time before 9pm is good. Boats start to anchor at 8am and make a day of it.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:58 PM   #31

City: Snohomish
Vessel Name: Toki
Vessel Model: Ranger 27
Quote:
Thanks Tozz. A followup question to that info: What is the best area to anchor in to see the fireworks (crowding doesn't bother me too much) and how early does one need to be there to get a decent spot?
I do the anchoring ion Lake Union thing every 4th of July. I love it, but some folks call me a masochist. I do it in my beater sailboat, I don't think I'd do it in the nice tug as it's a bit of a mad house. MANY people who haven't a clue about anchoring, so it tends to be a bit bumper-boats.

Boat's start claiming their spots in the morning. By 4-ish, probably 60% of the boats are out there. By 7-ish things are pretty full. Not a bad seat in the house, but if you really want the prime show you'll want to be as far north as possible, near the fireworks barge. Harbor Patrol does a pretty good job of buoy-ing off the anchoring area so you know where you can and can't anchor.

We usually like to make a day of it. We load all the water toys on the boat, stake our claim mid-day, and spend the afternoon swimming, kayaking, paddle boarding, BBQing, enjoying beverages, socializing with other boats etc.

That socializing thing is important. Like I said, anchoring practices are all over the map. My strategy in dealing with clueless anchorers that are too close to my boat is to invite them to raft up. A couple sacrificial boats on either side of mine is pretty good protection! I'll never forget last year. There were two older men on a nice ~40' cruiser who spent the entire afternoon and evening running around the deck yelling at other boats that they thought were too close. Not the way to enjoy the 4th on the lake!

Maybe I'll see you out there next 4th!
Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:34 PM   #32
Scraping Paint

City: Lake Stevens, WA via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Vessel Model: C-Dory 25
The best way to see the Lake Union fireworks show is to go to Poulsbo on the 3rd and stay there.

We once went to Eagle Harbor and watched the Seattle show from there. Along with the Eagle Harbor show. Twofer... But after my wife was called a see you next Tuesday by an a-hole on a boat that showed up super late and just tried to shove it's way in, we never went back. The group rafted up next to us agreed with us that the late arrival needed to find another place or plan better. My wife had just asked him nicely/politely to not anchor so close to us, as we no longer had swing room should the breeze/current/tide change. It almost deteriorated into me kicking his ass...but he drove away quickly when I suggested we "talk". Punk.
localboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:35 PM   #33
Guru

Shhhhhhhh, Poulsbo on the 3rd is a secret. Don’t want all those crazy Lake Union boats showing up at Liberty bay for fireworks.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:45 AM   #34
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
This is mostly correct. However, there are some big chunks of land under the water, on Lake Union, that are privately owned. There are also some grandfathered in development rights, deals that were made in the 50’s that waved current shore line restrictions.
According to DNR, if the land is covered by water it belongs to the State. However, as many things there are exceptions.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:18 AM   #35
Guru

When the DNR was formed it claimed all land under water not already titled as belonging to the DNR. However, there is a considerable amount of titled underwater land in the State of Washington. It shows up in the strangest places and in the case of Lake Union, it is quite random.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:17 PM   #36
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes, WA
I have it on good authority that there will be a Trawler Fest in Seattle (Bell Harbor Marina) in 2020. Dates yet to be confirmed.
Northern Marine
OkSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote