Old 01-02-2019, 09:47 PM   #1
Guru

City: Las Vegas/West Coast
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Sea Of Cortez, yard work and storage on the hard.

We are doing a lot of research in preparation for our trip south next year. Hurricane season and the extreme heat would dictate that the summer months in the upper part of the area are the best time to get work done on the boat. We are planning to haul Pairadice late spring/early summer of 2020 in the Sea of Cortez and are looking for recommendations or experiences with others who have had yard work done and storage of there boat in the following places.

1. Puerto Penasco
2. San Carlos/ Guaymas

We have had a few recommendations for either and would prefer Puerto Penasco as our first choice. Mainly because of the distance from our home in Las Vegas, the trip to Puerto Penasco would be about an 8 hour drive, and we would be able to drive our own vehicle back and forth a few times. The drive down to San Carlos would be at least twice as long.

Pairadice is listed as 47 ft. But actually sheís 52 ft. Total length and roughly 60K weight in slings.
The yard storage feeís per month we have seen are about $400 maybe less if the yard is doing work at the same time. Striping and revarnish the cap rails, glass repair of stress cracks and possible new gelcoat or painting above the side rails and bottom paint are items on the list. We want high quality work done and dont mind paying for that type of work. We think we will be on the hard for about 6 months.

So, if you have used either of these locations we would appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance.

Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:05 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I can't help you with your question. Nearly bought a boat in LaPaz and was considering pulling it in Puerto Penasco and then trucking East. Anyway, if you go there, plan accordingly for the tides. In coming tides stack up at the top of the Sea of Cortez,15 to 25' if I recall correctly.

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:26 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I can't help you with your question. Nearly bought a boat in LaPaz and was considering pulling it in Puerto Penasco and then trucking East. Anyway, if you go there, plan accordingly for the tides. In coming tides stack up at the top of the Sea of Cortez,15 to 25' if I recall correctly.

Ted
Sounds like Alaska, just a tad warmer. Thanks Ted
Old 01-03-2019, 01:28 PM   #4
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
Sounds like Alaska, just a tad warmer. Thanks Ted
It would be your luck that it will be warmer in Alaska than Mexico!! Been in Mexico all my life and this is the most rain I have ever seen!!!

Better go north lad, go north I say.....
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:31 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
John: Didn’t you buy your watermaker from Cruise RO? Call Rich, he cruised that area.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:19 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
John: Didnít you buy your watermaker from Cruise RO? Call Rich, he cruised that area.
Damn Larry, you a pretty fart smella. Great idea, thanks!
Old 01-03-2019, 07:35 PM   #7
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Brian at Selene Seattle should have current knowledge on yards whether in Ensanada, La Paz,, Puerto Penasco or Guaymas. Why would your vessel need to be hauled?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:07 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Why would your vessel need to be hauled?
Mostly for insurance reasons. We still need to get there take on when to enter Mexicoís waters and if thatfar north we will need to put her on the hard. Plus the work we want to get done during that time.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:22 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
John: Must be those tacos beans and rice.

Iíd get Shawn and Heatherís cruising guide for the Sea and see what it says. In the five seasons we spent in the Sea, San Carlos had the best facilities and was the most cruiser friendly on the east side.

https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Cortez-Cr.../dp/0980090148
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:27 AM   #10

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Cool Water
Vessel Model: C&L Puget Trawler
Crusty - Marina Seca in San Carlos, is worth checking into. Secure, fenced and can get you the craftsmen you want. Pretty spendy. In Guaymas, there's a somewhat secure place to dry-out the boat. Security doesn't look so great, however, there's been a lot of high quality boats that have been worked on there. There's another marina outside San Carlos (I can't remember the name) that is Secure and gated with guards like Marina Seca. Last time I was there, not as expensive. If you like, I can call my friends down there and get the name. Que la via biene Amigo.
TONTOROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:44 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
John: Must be those tacos beans and rice.

Iíd get Shawn and Heatherís cruising guide for the Sea and see what it says. In the five seasons we spent in the Sea, San Carlos had the best facilities and was the most cruiser friendly on the east side.

https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Cortez-Cr.../dp/0980090148
Thanks Larry,
Tracey ordered this book a few months ago, she sorta has this book fetish as I refer to. I think she has every cruising guide thatís available in print for Mexico, where Iím more into electronic versions. The information in Shawn and Heatherís publication for Puerto Penasco is pretty brief. I suspect few cruisers travel this far North for several reasons. Tides for one, and not much to see is another, and few safe anchorage.
Lots more information regarding San Carlos and Guaymas. Ill bone up on this area and reevaluate the possibilities of storing the boat there for the summer.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:48 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONTOROSS View Post
Crusty - Marina Seca in San Carlos, is worth checking into. Secure, fenced and can get you the craftsmen you want. Pretty spendy. In Guaymas, there's a somewhat secure place to dry-out the boat. Security doesn't look so great, however, there's been a lot of high quality boats that have been worked on there. There's another marina outside San Carlos (I can't remember the name) that is Secure and gated with guards like Marina Seca. Last time I was there, not as expensive. If you like, I can call my friends down there and get the name. Que la via biene Amigo.
Thanks Bud, good info for sure. Any additional info from your friends would be greatly appreciated. Gonna check Mapquest and see how much further the drive to San Carlos is, probably another 10 hours or so.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:07 PM   #13
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Thanks Larry,
Tracey ordered this book a few months ago, she sorta has this book fetish as I refer to. I think she has every cruising guide that’s available in print for Mexico, where I’m more into electronic versions.
I bet she already has the places tabbed already too.....
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:17 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
I bet she already has the places tabbed already too.....
LOL, Tabs are a work in progress for this Gal.

Just checked the mileage and its another 6 hours difference than Puerto Penasco. Still doable and not quite as far as the trip now to Portland.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:28 AM   #15

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Cool Water
Vessel Model: C&L Puget Trawler
Quote:
Thanks Bud, good info for sure. Any additional info from your friends would be greatly appreciated. Gonna check Mapquest and see how much further the drive to San Carlos is, probably another 10 hours or so.
Crusty - The other Marina in San Carlos is Marina Real. I've made the trip from Montana down there about 12 times coming and going, and I can only say is that it took us 3 days. We stop in St. George, UT; Wickenburg, AZ then onto San Carlos. From what I remember, Puerto Penasco to San Carlos is a full day. I strongly advise NOT TO DRIVE THE COAST HIGHWAY! That road is not maintained as one would think. You'll find holes deep enough to swallow your rig. I also advise to have plenty of pesos to pay for toll roads. Not that it costs so much,in that 30 or 40 pesos per toll will require pocket money. PITA if you don't have pesos. Anything else I can do let me know.
TONTOROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:12 PM   #16
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Based on past performance, will we be on target if we are expecting an article in SEA magazine?
Old 01-05-2019, 08:37 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Damn Larry, you a pretty fart smella. Great idea, thanks!
Rich is in La Paz right now.
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:25 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Based on past performance, will we be on target if we are expecting an article in SEA magazine?
Funny you should ask Mike.
The editor has already asked us to provide for an article about the trip south. I didnít think it was such a big deal, but evidently it is to them. Weíll see. Traceyís more excited about the magazine articles than the trip. She also is back on her, ďIím gonna write a book somedayĒ kick.

Cheers
Old 01-05-2019, 10:26 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Rich is in La Paz right now.
Thanks Kevin, hope to get an email out to him next day or so.

Cheers
Old 01-05-2019, 10:29 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONTOROSS View Post
Crusty - The other Marina in San Carlos is Marina Real. I've made the trip from Montana down there about 12 times coming and going, and I can only say is that it took us 3 days. We stop in St. George, UT; Wickenburg, AZ then onto San Carlos. From what I remember, Puerto Penasco to San Carlos is a full day. I strongly advise NOT TO DRIVE THE COAST HIGHWAY! That road is not maintained as one would think. You'll find holes deep enough to swallow your rig. I also advise to have plenty of pesos to pay for toll roads. Not that it costs so much,in that 30 or 40 pesos per toll will require pocket money. PITA if you don't have pesos. Anything else I can do let me know.
Thanks again Bud, all this info is what we were after. And as usall, you guys have come through. Another reason why we promote TF as much as we do.

Cheers