Sea Of Cortez, yard work and storage on the hard.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the heads up!

I’m told one should take the toll roads as they are faster and smoother roads.

Cheers

The brand new toll road is 97% complete and a new bypass around Hermosillo will make the trip from Nogales - Mariposa Border about 4 hrs. by 2020. Smooth 12" thick concrete like the Autobahn. Very little cost on tolls and lately about 3 out of 4 trips the last year, free toll after the first one for some political reasons.
We live in San Carlos and have for about a decade and travel that road frequently. Currently 12.75 hrs. from Vegas to San Carlos, but likely .75 to an hour less in another year. That vs. 7.5 hrs to "Rocky Point". Of course I believe the extra 4 or 5 hrs are well worth it.
Look us up when you get here. We have been live aboards and cruisers but sold our GB42 Classic some years ago. Now we have a hotel & restaurant down here in Old Mexico. Travel well.

Darrin

Crusty,

We are in La Paz @ Costa Baja and looking into this very issue you have addressed.

We heard 2 recent things that you will find interesting:

1. Costa Baja is attempting to get classified as a hurricane hole according to the manager Gabriel. We are speaking with our agent at Farmers about this.

2. San Carlos we heard was hit by a recent hurricane.

~Lucky Chucky
mv Ho'okipa

I have read through this thread...so the answer is there really are no marinas or places to store your boat on the hard in rocky point? I live in Scottsdale and am looking at my first trawler (possibly a 39 foot Bertram or a new sea piper) and would like to store her in rocky point in hurricane season and motor to cabo or la Paz in winter....I have been to San Carlos and it is very nice with two good marinas. So is the verdict San Carlos?? sorry as I am new to the forum and don’t know all the folks referenced in the thread who know this region well.

Crusty - Marina Seca in San Carlos, is worth checking into. Secure, fenced and can get you the craftsmen you want. .
My brother (now deceased) has had a home in San Carlos for many years & his wife still maintains and enjoys it! They had their 57 foot DeFever slipped there & had many cruises throughout the sea of Cortez. I've only visited twice but am convinced that if I were putting my boat in the Sea of Cortez, thats exactly where I'd put it.

Attachments

• beach patrol.jpg
    beach patrol.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 61
  • fishing with smooth water.jpg
    fishing with smooth water.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 57
Thanks to all for the information and tips. As of now, we are leaning towards San Carlos/Guaymas area for the yard work and haul out. Rich with RO provided me with some information but his main suggestion was to be present during any work being done on the boat. Not that the work there is shotty or bad, just that my expectations would be met better if I was onsite while it is being done. After a few yard experiences here in the states, I would have to say that being onsite tends to prevent issues.
So, we will plan on returning to the boat at some point while she is on the hard, rent a place to live and oversee the work being done. This will also allow us, if necessary, to return to the states for any parts/materials needed during the work. Summer of next year is the plan and that would be about 3 1/2 years since last haulout.
And besides, Fish Taco’s and cold Beer are always tough to beat while sloughing though yard work. LOL
Cheers

Thanks to all for the information and tips. As of now, we are leaning towards San Carlos/Guaymas area for the yard work and haul out. Rich with RO provided me with some information but his main suggestion was to be present during any work being done on the boat. Not that the work there is shotty or bad, just that my expectations would be met better if I was onsite while it is being done. After a few yard experiences here in the states, I would have to say that being onsite tends to prevent issues.
So, we will plan on returning to the boat at some point while she is on the hard, rent a place to live and oversee the work being done. This will also allow us, if necessary, to return to the states for any parts/materials needed during the work. Summer of next year is the plan and that would be about 3 1/2 years since last haulout.
And besides, Fish Taco’s and cold Beer are always tough to beat while sloughing though yard work. LOL
Cheers

The Guaymas locale makes sense from my travels to MX and Baja over the years. If we had a yen for the sun and heat that would be our first MX choice. We vamoose from AZ in the summer to the PNW to avoid the heat

With the MX road improvements, have you considered a place near or south of Tucson? If you need to do any AC work you might consider having it done in US. Wherever you choose to berth in MX ascertain the voltages and plug arrangements. Many cruisers elect to have compliant transformers set up to for the variety of marinas you'll be visiting.

Capt D sounds like a great resource. Have you been to Guaymus and San Carlos?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom