Old 04-02-2015, 07:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Scouting Mission - Seattle Area

Hi Group! Its taken 25 years of cruising Maine's coastline for it to start getting stale (Penobscot Bay IS a jewel). However we have one child in Seattle and the other in Alaska, and the bucket list includes exploring the PNW. We're flying into Seattle the beginning of May and would sure appreciate advice re: scenic attractions, marinas to check out,.... the usual trawler guy "insider" tips. We've never seen Olympic and will be running up there as well. This last Winter was brutal - time for a change. Thanks!
BelfastCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:15 AM   #2

City: Edmonds
Vessel Name: Miss Maui
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
You will love it in Seattle. How long will you be here? Things you ought to do:
Drinks and dinner at the top of the Space Needle. Make your reservations an hour before sunset. Have a cocktail first at the observation deck. Incredible views, seaplanes flying by, and very good food.
Lunch at Chandler's Crab House. Sit outside and enjoy the sun. After lunch walk the docks and check out the yachts for sale.
Argosy Cruise of Lake Washington.
Whale watching cruise from Edmonds.
Seattle Opening Day for boating season is like nothing you have ever seen. Saturday, May 2 is the huge parade of boats through the Montlake Cut. If you will be there for that weekend send me a PM and I can make some arrangements for you.
Watch the boats going through the locks. Especially fun if you have grandkids.
Take a Duck Boat tour.
Pike Place Market.

That's a good start!
Robster_in_edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:06 AM   #3
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Seattle has some great marinas. Bell Harbor is right on the waterfront in downtown Seattle. Shilshole Bay is north of there near the ocean side of Ballard Locks that Robster mentioned. A stroll down the docks at Fisherman's Terminal area is worth the trip.

If you want to see some beautiful country take a ride up I-90 heading east out of Seattle into the Cascade Mountains. If you do that stop in Cle Elum (just east of Snoqualmie Pass) for lunch. Lots of good places to eat there.

Take a ferry ride. You can park your car in their lot and walk on the ferry. The Winslow ferry is a short ride. Once you get to the other side take a stroll around town then catch another ferry headed back to Seattle. BTW WA has the largest ferry system in the nation.

Pike Place market is a great place to wander. People watching is top notch and it's fun just to look at all the interesting stuff being offered for sale.

Seattle is "latte city" and probably has more coffee shops than anywhere else. Starbucks was born there and you'll find one every 50' as you wander around town.

Do you know what part of the city you'll be staying in? If I knew that I might be able to offer up some more tips but I'm sure there will be many from Seattle who jump in here.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:27 AM   #4
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Such an open ended question

There is a huge amount of things to do around here, limited only by your imagination.

Your could start in Olympia (South Puget Sound) and work your way north to Seattle or the Kitsap Peninsula and then head towards the Olympics.

Marinas are plenty, from South Sound to the Canadian border and beyond.

Your "must do" event is Trawlerfest in anacortes:

TrawlerFest Anacortes 2015 | | PassageMaker

If you're here the first weekend of May, Opening Day is a must-do event:

Seattle Opening Day | Boat Parade | Windermere Cup
Opening Day - Seattle Yacht Club

Give us a heads up when you're in town and perhaps a few of us TFers can get together for a drink or BBQ....

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:34 AM   #5

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Knot Knormal
Vessel Model: President 41
Personally I prefer the Kitsap side of Puget Sound. We live aboard in Poulsbo and absolutely love it.

There is SO much to see and do on the water. The cruising extends as far south as Olympia and as far north as you are willing to go. The South sound is very quiet and the waters are very protected and not at all crowded. The San Juan Islands are lovely and there are plenty of places to anchor as well as docks to tie up to (and spend $$$). Further north the Canadian Gulf Islands are wonderful and then further north is Desolation Sound and even further north the Broughtens. Keep going and you eventually wind up in Alaska.

We will be in HI the first week in May but will be happy show you around our little town after that if you want to.

Marty........................
MartySchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks All - great ideas and a lot to pack into this initial foray. We probably won't get our daughter out of Alaska, but it looks like an easy jump up to visit. Its been said the coast of Maine/Nova Scotia and the Washington/BC areas are the ones to see. Done one, cant wait to try the other! Thanks Again!
BelfastCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:56 AM   #7
Guru

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelfastCruiser View Post
Thanks All - great ideas and a lot to pack into this initial foray. We probably won't get our daughter out of Alaska, but it looks like an easy jump up to visit. Its been said the coast of Maine/Nova Scotia and the Washington/BC areas are the ones to see. Done one, cant wait to try the other! Thanks Again!
I have been to Maine several times and the coast line there is similar to the coast line of BC and SE Alaska.

I would add the Boeing Museum as an attraction.

Ken
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:24 PM   #8
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old deckhand View Post
I have been to Maine several times and the coast line there is similar to the coast line of BC and SE Alaska.

I would add the Boeing Museum as an attraction.

Ken
In the interest of accuracy, there is no such thing as a Boeing Museum. The Museum of Flight on Boeing Field has nothing whatsoever to do with The Boeing Company other than we have given them a few exhibit planes over the years and some funding. So when referring to the museum call it the Museum of Flight so people will know what you're asking about.

If one is interested in flight museums there are two smaller ones at the south end of Paine Field n Everett. One is Paul Allen's excellent collection and the other one belongs to John Sessions.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:55 PM   #9

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Nordvind
Vessel Model: Nova Heritage 36
I highly recommend a scenic flight or a day trip to the San Juan's with Kenmore Air! You will get a very quick impression of the cruising grounds on offer. And if you haven't flown much on a float plane it is a must do! They are located on the South end of Lake Union in the heart of downtown Seattle.

Kenmore Air – Scheduled Air Service – Charter Service – Scenic Flight Tours - Seaplanes - Kenmore Air
Old 04-02-2015, 02:19 PM   #10

City: MD
Vessel Name: Blue Yonder
Vessel Model: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
In the interest of accuracy, there is no such thing as a Boeing Museum. The Museum of Flight on Boeing Field has nothing whatsoever to do with The Boeing Company other than we have given them a few exhibit planes over the years and some funding. So when referring to the museum call it the Museum of Flight so people will know what you're asking about.

If one is interested in flight museums there are two smaller ones at the south end of Paine Field n Everett. One is Paul Allen's excellent collection and the other one belongs to John Sessions.
There is also a nice aviation museum down at McChord AFB in Tacoma. A ride on one of the ferries out of Seattle would be a nice way to spend a day. Gig Harbor would be a nice trip for lunch. Forget the coffee, Seattle is a beer drinkers paradise.
BlueYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:34 PM   #11
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Boeing does have a museum (mostly about Boeing) at the factory tour center in Everett. Paul Allen's museum (also at Paine Field) is very nice.

The ferry to Bremerton is a nice ride on a nice day (about an hour each way). Downtown Bremerton near the ferry is nice. There is (was) a naval museum on the hill overlooking the ferry terminal and marina.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:20 PM   #12
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Port Ludlow Marina

If you're researching marinas to eventually moor your boat, we highly recommend Port Ludlow. Well, that is if you are into a quiet, beautiful, safe environment for you and your boat. We've lived aboard here for three winters. Our 4.5 yr old daughter considers the marina grounds her backyard, and the marina staff part of her family. Plus, Port Ludlow is central to just about everything in the area in terms of boating. Great spot.

Here's a link to the video cruising guide we did (in case the video upload doesn't work again...): Port Ludlow Resort Marina
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:49 PM   #13

City: Seattle
Have dinner at Ivar's on north Lake Union. You can watch the boats go by, kayakers, SUP'ers, and seaplanes picking their way through the crowd. As in Maine, you do *not* have to ask if the seafood is fresh.
Bill
barnacleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
If you're researching marinas to eventually moor your boat, we highly recommend Port Ludlow. Well, that is if you are into a quiet, beautiful, safe environment for you and your boat. We've lived aboard here for three winters. Our 4.5 yr old daughter considers the marina grounds her backyard, and the marina staff part of her family. Plus, Port Ludlow is central to just about everything in the area in terms of boating. Great spot.

Here's a link to the video cruising guide we did (in case the video upload doesn't work again...): Port Ludlow Resort Marina

Hey Moonfish! Not to hijack the thread or anything.... but we are in your neighborhood for a bit. We are here at Boat Haven in Port Townsend, on the hard, getting some work done. Will be here another full week at least.

And now, Back to our original discussion.

Marty.........................
Old 04-02-2015, 08:02 PM   #15
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
Boeing does have a museum (mostly about Boeing) at the factory tour center in Everett..

The Future of Flight, which is what I assume you are referring to, is not Boeing. It belongs to Snohomish County. Boeing has its tour center and gift store inside the building but the high-bay museum part with the exhibits and whatnot belong to the county. Unless this has changed in recent years.

I produced a video about the construction of the Future of Flight and also the video that's used as part of the Boeing Tour Center presentation to visitors which is how i came to learn about the setup there.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:50 AM   #16
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelfastCruiser View Post
We probably won't get our daughter out of Alaska, but it looks like an easy jump up to visit.
3 1/2 hours and you are in Anchorage (unless she lives in SE). Jetblue was running cheap seats, $129 each way from Seattle to Anchor town.

Have fun. Take the ferry to Friday Harbor, San Juans??
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:35 AM   #17
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Hi,

I don't live in Washington, but I grew up there and now live on Mount Desert Island. Nevertheless, I have a suggestion for a nice trip to take. Start by driving north on I-5 up to Anacortes. At Anacortes park your car and ride the ferry over to Friday Harbor and back. That is a great way to see the San Juans. After that drive south over onto Whidbey Island. Deception Pass at the north end of Whidbey is a must stop. Stand on the bridge and visualize your boat going through the Pass. It is kind of like going through the Lubec narrows on your way to Eastport except that there is more current in Deception Pass and the pass is incredibly beautiful. From Deception Pass drive south on Whidbey and take the Ferry from Keystone (Coupeville) over to Port Townsend. If you have to wait for the ferry, wander over and explore the old coastal fortifications at Fort Casey State Park. The fortifications are interesting and the views across the sound are incredible.

Once you are in Port Townsend explore the town. There are lots of places to stay in Port Townsend, but my favorite is the Manresa Castle. Leaving Port Townsend you have a couple of choices for your return to Seattle. You can make a side trip west to Sequim and Dungeness Spit (great walking out the spit although the strong west winds can be cool). From Sequim continue west for 15 miles to Port Angeles and then, if it a clear day, drive up to Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic National Park. The views from up there are incredible.

On your way back to Seattle you have several options. Option one is to drive south on the West side of Hood Canal, turn east at the south end of the Canal and head east to Belfair. From there you can drive up to Bremerton and take the Ferry back to Seattle, you can take the Southworth Ferry over to Vashon Island and then to South Seattle, or you can take route 16 and cross the sound at the Tacoma narrows bridge and then head back to Seattle on I-5.

Option two is to drive south past Port Ludlow (nice stop by the way for lunch) and then cross the hood Canal floating bridge and head either Kingston and take the Ferry back to Edmonds (10 miles north of Seattle), or drive south onto Bainbridge Island and take the Winslow Ferry back to downtown Seattle. You are likely to have to wait and hour or more to cross on the Winslow ferry.

That makes a really nice two day trip.

Other things woth doing are to drive up to Paradise on Mount Rainier. There isn't much snow up there this year and the drive up is spectacular. Don't do this unless the weather is clear and you can see the mountain from Seattle.

As others have said, if you are in Seattle on the first weekend in May Opening day is fun. Either at the Montlake cut south of the University of Washington or at the Ballard Locks. Both spots are crowded on opening day.

Gas works Park on the north end of Lake Union is also pleasant to watch boat traffic. Combine this with a lunch stop at Ivar's Salmon House on the north end of Lake Union. I prefer lunch to dinner there.

Todd
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:03 AM   #18
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
TDdunn,
Very excellent recomendation. Makes me feel like copying the post and going for the car keys.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:57 AM   #19
Scraping Paint

TD--- The objective is to discourage people from coming here, not encourage them.

But that's a great drive suggestion. We do part of that almost every weekend, driving to our boat in Bellingham (driving through the Skagit delta and up Chuckanut Drive if we're not in a hurry) and then going home via Whidbey Island to visit good friends who live near Langley. Always an enjoyable drive at all times of the year. Always something different to see. In the winter when the trees are bare we make a game of it by counting raptors along the way (hawks, eagles, vultures).
Old 04-15-2015, 06:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
TD--- The objective is to discourage people from coming here, not encourage them.

Oh, that's right. Did I mention that it rains ALL the time here?

Marty...................

Tags
seattle