The Toba River.

Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:22 PM   #42
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
OK good.
I was thinking of a river further north I think. Started w an "N". Lots and lots of bears. Lots and lots of fish.

Did some research. The rivers I was thinking about were the Naha and the Neets rivers. But that was just the name. What I really was thinking re the actual River was the Unuk River. There was a bear shot there years ago (late 30s I think) that was a named bear. He had killed 3 or 4 men and stalked many over a period of years. Old Groaner was finally shot and killed by a well known hunter and his dog Slasher. There was evidence that the bear had been shot at point blank range w a pistol .. in the mouth. Damage to the throat gave him the unusual "growl" that earned him his name. Many bulllets were found in the carcass. Old Groaner's back was broken more than once and his whole back was healed in a big sheet of bone. He stalked the hunter that killed him for several nights. I don't know if the dog survived.

I can't find the story of Old Groaner so I'm going on memory. But I wouldn't recomend walking around on the Unuk River flats.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:01 AM   #43
Guru

Seattle is great in the dry season. The traffic is bad and getting worse. Housing is expensive. There is plenty of boating opportunity but the real gems are farther north all the way to Alaska. Small and medium sized boats of all types can and routinely do take advantage of the boating opportunities. If one does not mind light rain boating can be an all year affair it is for me. We really don't need more people here but since you are a boater I will make an exception and invite you to our overcrowded paradise. Mind you on a week day the water is almost deserted. The challenge is driving to your boat and parking.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 01:12 AM   #44
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
The challenge is driving to your boat and parking.
i moved here in 1979 from Hawaii where I grew up. I moved here in spite of Seattle, not because of it. I really moved here because it's next to British Columbia.

In my opinion Seattle is one of the most screwed up cities I've ever experienced on the planet. It can't do anything right anymore, from digging a short highway tunnel to applying common sense to traffic management. The mayor and the city council lurch from one bad decision to another, most of them anti-business to the point where Bellevue across Lake Washington is booming while Seattle struggles.

For boaters there is a great solution to the traffic, poor and expensive parking, and ridiculously high moorage costs in Seattle. Keep your boat somewhere else.

We keep our boat in Bellingham up near the BC border. It's an eight knot boat, but even at that speed we can weekend in the San Juan Islands no problem. If we had the same boat in Seattle, we'd get to the islands once or twice a year on vacation.

We can drive to our boat from our home in two hours or less. If we kept our boat in Seattle the heavy traffic and idiotic road designs means it takes the better part of an hour or longer just to get into the city and to the marinas in or near the city. So even though our boat is 100 miles from our house, in reality it's not much of a time penalty over keeping the boat in Seattle.

Bellingham is not the only choice of course. South of Bellingham Anacortes offers both city-owned and private moorage and the islands are right across the channel. South of Anacortes the quaint town of La Conner on the Swinomish waterway has a nice marina and other moorage opportunities. Blaine, north of Bellingham and right next to the BC border is another choice for keeping a boat.

As a bonus, moorage up north is considerably less than in Seattle. Parking is plentiful and free. Traffic is non existant and, depending on one's schedule, the drive north can be speedy by freeway or scenic on the side roads in the Skagit delta and along the shore to Bellingham.

The photo is the view from our slip. The islands are the San Juans.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	39844  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 01:37 AM   #45
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
OK good.
I was thinking of a river further north I think. Started w an "N". Lots and lots of bears. Lots and lots of fish.

Did some research. The rivers I was thinking about were the Naha and the Neets rivers. But that was just the name. What I really was thinking re the actual River was the Unuk River. There was a bear shot there years ago (late 30s I think) that was a named bear. He had killed 3 or 4 men and stalked many over a period of years. Old Groaner was finally shot and killed by a well known hunter and his dog Slasher. There was evidence that the bear had been shot at point blank range w a pistol .. in the mouth. Damage to the throat gave him the unusual "growl" that earned him his name. Many bulllets were found in the carcass. Old Groaner's back was broken more than once and his whole back was healed in a big sheet of bone. He stalked the hunter that killed him for several nights. I don't know if the dog survived.

I can't find the story of Old Groaner so I'm going on memory. But I wouldn't recomend walking around on the Unuk River flats.
Here you go....

https://books.google.ca/books?id=HHH...0river&f=false
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 01:44 AM   #46
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post

And another...

https://books.google.ca/books?id=Oor...0river&f=false
Old 05-02-2015, 10:28 AM   #47
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Conrad,
Thank you very much and I'm pleased to see I wasn't far off w my memory. Some bear stories are the stuff of bad dreams and many people have played dead successfully but they say to not try that w a black bear.

They said of Old Groaner that he was an 11' bear. I don't know what they meant by calling him a brown/grizzly. Grizzlies are about 400lbs but an 11' bear is about 13-1500lbs .. undoubtedly an Alaska Coastal Brown Bear. Perhaps ther'e called "Canadian" in Canada?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:17 PM   #48
Veteran Member

City: Seattle, WA.
As a bonus, moorage up north is considerably less than in Seattle.

Marin,

What would be a typical moorage rate up north for say a 50' boat?
goboatnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:16 PM   #49
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatnow View Post
As a bonus, moorage up north is considerably less than in Seattle.

Marin,

What would be a typical moorage rate up north for say a 50' boat?
It varies from marina to marina. Also, more and more marinas are including the footprint (area) of a boat in the slip fee formula along with length. Bellingham (Squalicum Marina, Port of Bellingham) uses the slip length in their fee formula, not the boat length although they do include footprint in some way or another. So you'd need to call the marina(s) you're interested in and tell them your desired slip length and boat length and width to get an accurate monthly fee.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:23 AM   #50
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Conrad,
Thank you very much and I'm pleased to see I wasn't far off w my memory. Some bear stories are the stuff of bad dreams and many people have played dead successfully but they say to not try that w a black bear.

They said of Old Groaner that he was an 11' bear. I don't know what they meant by calling him a brown/grizzly. Grizzlies are about 400lbs but an 11' bear is about 13-1500lbs .. undoubtedly an Alaska Coastal Brown Bear. Perhaps ther'e called "Canadian" in Canada?
You're welcome Eric - and thank you for bringing this topic to our attention. A fascinating story for sure.

And clearly your brain is working on a much higher plane than mine!
Old 05-03-2015, 04:49 PM   #51
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Might Have, Might Have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Scary, Those bugs saved you from death by Grizzly. Seriously, before the run of the river hydro projects went in, the top of Toba was known as a real bad part of bear town.
That was my first year exploring BC. On following trips I came prepared, at South Pender Harbor Canadian Customs allowed me to enter with a shot gun. They said normally they didn't think a gun was necessary in BC but since I was heading on to Alaska where they thought I would need one, they allowed me to buy a permit for the shot gun. I guess Canadian bears are well behaved and actually like tourists. This is a tip that's nice to know as packing a 12lb shot gun and looking over your back while hiking in the bush gets old fast.
On that trip to Alaska I didn't get bit one time by any insects, mostly I think because the rain was so relentless they couldn't fly. I did meet a number of bears however, mostly on friendly terms. I stayed out of their way and they did as they pleased. Seemed to work.

Scary is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seattle