Old 04-15-2015, 07:54 PM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySchwartz View Post
Oh, that's right. Did I mention that it rains ALL the time here?

Marty...................
That's right. Even as I write this it is absolutely pouring in Seattle and has been for weeks non-stop. The streets are flooded, the storm drains are overwhelmed and raw sewage is backing up out of the manhole covers. Terriible situation. FEMA is setting up disaster relief centers in the football and baseball stadiumss south of downtown and the mayor has issued a request for residents to evactuate and non-residents to stay well away. Preferably east of the Mississippi River..

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:27 PM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Marin,

After last winter that won't work anymore. What you describe above is far better than what actually happened in the east last winter. I think we better prepare to migrate north. Should be a stampede of people coming our way soon. Only thing that could save us is the blob.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:08 PM   #23
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
At one time didn't a bunch of Californians immigrate to the Seattle area and mess it all up or were they deported back to California?
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:49 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
At one time didn't a bunch of Californians immigrate to the Seattle area and mess it all up or were they deported back to California?
At first while they still had California plates on their cars the local semi drivers simply pushed them off the road. The survivors went back south.

Then after months or years of steady rain, countless jokes on the local TV shows about California "Oakies," and flag-burnings on their lawns the rest just seemed to drift away.

Of course now with the huge influx of folks from India, Viet Nam, China, and the former Soviet bloc, mostly hired to come here by the software, biotech, and aerospace industries, Californians have found they can't get jobs and can't afford the home prices. So they don't seem to come up anymore. It's very rare now to see a vehicle with California plates.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:28 PM   #25
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
On my commute to/from work I can count at least 8 cranes building either new businesses or condos to accommodate the influx. Housing prices have exploded in the last year. Good for me, because when I retire in a few years I should make a windfall (I hope).

This weekend in fact we are heading to west Puget Sound to look for property.

Olympic Peninsula Golf Resort & Marina

They just happen to have a boat show/swap meet there this weekend.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:14 PM   #26
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Wait until Floridians make our move! We really know how to mess things up. Never saw a paradise we couldn't ruin. Now back to those pesky Californians.
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:55 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
The hordes seem to be headed south and West. Great! We Mainers (Mainiacs?) can breathe a sigh of relief that they aren't headed our way after several years of flatlander, summer complaint, invasion. On the other hand, maybe they know something we don't and should? Nah, we're happy in our isolation and ignorance. Except in March and the first part of April when the cold and white stuff have outstayed their welcome.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:10 PM   #28
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
The hordes seem to be headed south and West. Great! We Mainers (Mainiacs?) can breathe a sigh of relief that they aren't headed our way after several years of flatlander, summer complaint, invasion.
You have a weapon that is far more effective than even our endless rain, overcast and threat of major earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.

Bugs.

What you need to do is concentrate them along your borders, preferably just on the other side. That will effectively keep the looky-lou's away.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:57 AM   #29

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Knot Knormal
Vessel Model: President 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
You have a weapon that is far more effective than even our endless rain, overcast and threat of major earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.

Bugs.

What you need to do is concentrate them along your borders, preferably just on the other side. That will effectively keep the looky-lou's away.
Yea, a volcano doesn't hold a candle, so to speak, to the Florida state bird (Mosquito).

Marty.....(former Floridian)...........
MartySchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:46 AM   #30
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySchwartz View Post
Yea, a volcano doesn't hold a candle, so to speak, to the Florida state bird (Mosquito).

Marty.....(former Floridian)...........
I think I'd stack the Maine no-see-um, blackfly, etc. up against a Florida mosquito in terms of flat-out driving someone mad.

And of course, an Alaska mosquito would simply cart the state of Florida (or any of the lower 48) off and just drop it in the ocean. Assisted, if need be, by an Alaska horsefly which in my experience flying in the bush up there is pound for pound the single most vicious creature on the planet.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:41 AM   #31
THD
Guru

Marin-the no see'ums in South Carolina might give the Alaskan Horsefly a run for its money. When I was in USMC boot camp many years ago, they were said to be a cross between a gnat and a saber tooth tiger.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:12 PM   #32
Scraping Paint

The thing with the horseflies in Alaska, or at least SE Alaska where we fly, is that they are amazingly smart. For example, we landed at a high lake called Swan Lake in the mountains not far from the Devil's Thumb (for those of you familiar with the coast range across from Petersburg). We beached the Beaver by the Forest Service A-frame and got out to do some fishing. There was a pretty strong wind coming down the lake and we figured this was perfect to keep the bugs off of us.

Well, it kept the mosquitoes and gnats and such off us, but not the horseflies. It blew the horseflies right past us, too, BUT..... they knew not to bother to try and land on us as they went by. Instead they knew that immediately downwind of us the air would be relatively calm. So they would sail by us aiming for the "dead" air downwind of us at which point it was easy for them to fly back up to us, land on our clothing, crawl inside, and start to eat us.

Once we realized what was happening we could watch them do this (they are very large, about the size of a bumble-bee). If you saw one zip by you and you turned around fast enough, you could watch them beat their way back up to you in the slower air and land.

After about an hour of this we got back in the plane, opened all the doors to let the wind blow out all the bugs that got in with us, and left.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:28 PM   #33
Guru

Marin I experienced that (similar) on a lake in northern BC that flows into the McKenzie River. Wanted to go toward the end of the lake. The bugs were terrible. I launched as quickly as I could and headed out away from shore thinking I'd loose the bugs. Lost all the bugs except the big black flies. They followed me for miles.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:08 PM   #34
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I launched as quickly as I could and headed out away from shore thinking I'd loose the bugs. Lost all the bugs except the big black flies. They followed me for miles.
Yeah, they're amazing. If instead of dropping bombs and missiles and stuff on the Middle East in an effort to root out ISIS, we simply dropped huge bags of live Alaska horseflies, that whole mess over there would die down overnight. Everyone would be so intent on escaping the jaws of those things that religious fanaticism and terrorism would immediately be forgotten.

We were extremely fortunate (and have been extremely grateful) that our PNW boat came with a full set of screens for all the opening windows and hatches thanks to a previous owner. The only thing we don't have a screen for is the main cabin door.

While we haven't taken the boat to Alaska and had to deal with the Insect Air Force up there that you had to deal with, the screens have many times made the difference between a pleasant evening on board in an anchorage or marine park and a miserable one. Particularly if it's hot and there's no or hardly any breeze. To be able to have all the windows and hatches open on a warm evening and have no bugs at all inside the boat is fabulous. It's particularly fabulous during yellowjacket season.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellowjackt.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	39279  
Old 05-01-2015, 08:49 AM   #35
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
The last time I visited Washington I flew into Portland. When I crossed the Columbia in my Oregon plated rental car I was stopped by the Washington Border Patrol. Those young punks were quite snotty until I handed them my birth certificate with its embossed Washington State Seal. Once they realized that I was an actual native, I got the red carpet treatment.

Having lived in Alaska all I can say is that the bugs there are over rated. Now if you want to see bugs, move to eastern Manitoba. I am a geologist and spent a fair amount of time out in the Manitoba bush. The flies there are moose flies. The comparison between a wild bull moose and a saddle horse at a kids riding zoo is about the same as the comparison between a moose fly and a horse fly. I remember that whacking them with my 4 lb rock hammer only made them mad. My DEET saturated clothing actually attracted Manitoba flies and mosquitos.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:22 AM   #36
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
This reminds me of my first charter to Desolation Sound

Back in the 90's my wife and I chartered a small fast Bayliner to do a two week cruise from Anacortes to Desolation Sound and back. At the top of Toba Inlet we anchored about 400 yards off the gravel beach with the intention of hiking up the fiord on a dirt longing road. In the process of anchoring, something that was done from a bow hatch as this was the access to the bow, a large flying bug the size of yellow jacket took a 1/8 inch chunk of flesh out of my arm. Blood streaming from the wound I quickly closed the hatch and returned to the cockpit which, being a Washington boat had full camper canvas. We were immediately swarmed by hundreds if not thousands of these flying flesh eating insects. They were crawling the canvas looking for any weakness in our defense. After a very brief lunch we decided that taking the dingy ashore would be out of the question. It was one of those rare days warm enough to get by with a sweat shirt and possibly shorts. We would have had the flesh ripped from our bodies before we made the shore. As usual after a very brief discussion I got the short straw and had to pull the anchor. These flying terrors followed us for a mile or so until they tired of fighting the 24 knts of boat speed. As a California boy not use to death defying insect encounters, we took care of this problem with crop dusting and pollution years ago. I strongly suggest that anyone brave enough to venture north Seattle bring industrial strength insect suits, have your boat fitted with heavy mesh screens, on all openings, as well as full cockpit enclosures. Several cases of wasp spray should be on board, this doubles as bear spray. but than that's another story.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:00 PM   #37
Guru

Scary,
That sounds scary.
We just put in 8 years living in the very south end on SE Alaska and I don't remember a single incident where bugs of any kind were more than a very minor annoyance. Not even close to interrupting any activity.

Sounds like you had a very unusual invasion of bugs from interior Canada. You mentioned good weather and it was probably associated w an east wind that brought the bugs down on you.

Bugs in SE are a problem only in certian places at certian times. Most visitors won't come in contact w them.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:21 PM   #38
Guru

Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Old 05-01-2015, 07:44 PM   #39
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Scary, Those bugs saved you from death by Grizzly. Seriously, before the run of the river hydro projects went in, the top of Toba was known as a real bad part of bear town.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:39 PM   #40
Guru

Spy what River flows into the head on Toba Inlet?

Tags
seattle