San Francisco Bay Area question. Proper etiquette for dropping off or picking-up....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

f508

Vessel Name
MaryAnn
Vessel Make
48 DeFever
Hi,

What is the etiquette for dropping off or picking-up a couple of passengers at a marina that isn't your home base?

I am berthed on Oakland side of the Bay, but I would like to pick-up some friends in San Francisco, take them on the water for a couple of hours and then drop them off and be on my way.

Are some marinas more welcoming than others for that?

TIA

Frank

If you know where you are going to pick them up and drop them off, call ahead and ask if there is a guest slip available for temporary use. Most harbor masters are really nice about that. Also, if you aren't going to tie up for very long, most gas docks or pump out stations will let you "sit" for a bit.

Pick up & drop off

I use the pump out areas as pick up & drop off zones.

They are provided for people with boats that tie up for 10 minutes at a time, so perfect for this type of boarding & disembarking.

Happy Boating.

Alfa Mike

First, if the guests will be arriving by car and need a place to park during their cruise, you certainly want to make advance arrangements with the marina because there will not only be picking up and dropping off passengers, but parking foe a few hours. This could be an issue at some marinas.

If there is a public dock or boat ramp near where you plan on picking them off, that would be much simpler.

If you choose a marina, be sure to tip the dockhands.

I know this is an old post, but some San Francisco options for anyone who may check in.

Pier 1 1/2 is a public dock, up to 40ft boat and up to 3 hours. FREE - located by the Ferry Building.

Pier 40 has a pump out station, which is located in the South Beach Harbor. As others have said, you can hang out here for a little while and have no problems. Note: You are not allowed to leave the boat unattended.

Pier 52 Boat Ramp also has a dock and can be used to pick up guests. Parking is usually very good in this area.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom