Roughing out plans for ICW trip south. Suggestions welcome!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
>Is this the one that's pronounced Beaufort, or is it Beaufort that's pronounced Beaufort?

Now that is classic TF right there. :D

Georgetown - Not sure about this one. Worth a stop?
Charleston - Likely City Marina. Probably going to stick around here for several days. I've never been, but I'm looking forward to spending a little time here. I have friends in the area as well.
Beaufort - Not to be confused with Beaufort, which is pronounced Beaufort. I think I'll tie up at the free wall during the day if there's room, and anchor out overnight. Lady's Island marina is also a possibility if I decide to stay longer.
Savannah - Unknown Marina, suggestions welcome. It's likely I'll stick around here for a few days, maybe a week. I have good friends in the area here too, and It's another place I've never been and have always wanted to check out. Thunderbolt looks like a top contender here.

Now that you're underway again... :)

We liked the Harborwalk Marina in Georgetown; didn't get a chance to stop there on our southbound route this time, but we found it to be a pleasant town on our previous trip... and we're hoping to stop there on our way back north eventually. The Rice Museum was informative (who knew?) so worth a visit. At least two very good restaurants in town on the water side, easy walk.

Charleston options include places like the Charleston Harbor Marina -- on Hog Island, not exactly Charleston at all, said to be expensive, but... just next door to the USS Yorktown facility, and that's very much worth a visit. More better for direct downtown access -- very pleasant town, well worth some time -- are the Charleston City Marina (aka Megadock) and just next door to that, the Harborage at Ashley Marina if they have space. The latter is a condo-type place, but we were able to stay there for a few months on our previous trip, decent. There are three free bus routes servicing the downtown peninsula, both City Marina and Ashley have shuttles, etc. It helps to arrive at slack water on the Ashley River, so Isle of Palms Marina could be a useful staging point to get your timing right. (Last trip, as we were steaming north past Isle of Palms on our way home... lo and behold, another TF member came out just then... so we had an impromptu "TF Get-Together" of sorts on the radio. :) )

Beaufort -- the one that's pronounced Beaufort -- seemed like a nice two-day town for us this year, our first visit. We stayed at the Downtown Marina at Beaufort (pronounced Beaufort) and it was OK, very central to the downtown area (as the name implies).

Even over several trips, I've yet to see downtown Savannah... and we hope to do that this time on our way back north. That said, I've stayed at Thunderbolt Marina a couple times over the years (remember the Krispy Kreme) and it's a decent marina with easy-enough access via Uber or whatever to downtown. And Tubby's is a decent restaurant, just up the street a couple blocks. Isle of Hope Marina has been recommended, but there was no room at the inn as we were passing by this time. Staying on the boat in downtown Savannah has been almost universally un-recommended (?) although I see some here have found it OK.

-Chris

Last edited:
Hey Wayfarer,
Curious minds want to know. How far are you along in your trip?

Now that you're underway again... :)

We liked the Harborwalk Marina in Georgetown; didn't get a chance to stop there on our southbound route this time, but we found it to be a pleasant town on our previous trip... and we're hoping to stop there on our way back north eventually. The Rice Museum was informative (who knew?) so worth a visit. At least two very good restaurants in town on the water side, easy walk.

Charleston options include places like the Charleston Harbor Marina -- on Hog Island, not exactly Charleston at all, said to be expensive, but... just next door to the USS Yorktown facility, and that's very much worth a visit. More better for direct downtown access -- very pleasant town, well worth some time -- are the Charleston City Marina (aka Megadock) and just next door to that, the Harborage at Ashley Marina if they have space. The latter is a condo-type place, but we were able to stay there for a few months on our previous trip, decent. There are three free bus routes servicing the downtown peninsula, both City Marina and Ashley have shuttles, etc. It helps to arrive at slack water on the Ashley River, so Isle of Palms Marina could be a useful staging point to get your timing right. (Last trip, as we were steaming north past Isle of Palms on our way home... lo and behold, another TF member came out just then... so we had an impromptu "TF Get-Together" of sorts on the radio. :) )

Beaufort -- the one that's pronounced Beaufort -- seemed like a nice two-day town for us this year, our first visit. We stayed at the Downtown Marina at Beaufort (pronounced Beaufort) and it was OK, very central to the downtown area (as the name implies).

Even over several trips, I've yet to see downtown Savannah... and we hope to do that this time on our way back north. That said, I've stayed at Thunderbolt Marina a couple times over the years (remember the Krispy Kreme) and it's a decent marina with easy-enough access via Uber or whatever to downtown. And Tubby's is a decent restaurant, just up the street a couple blocks. Isle of Hope Marina has been recommended, but there was no room at the inn as we were passing by this time. Staying on the boat in downtown Savannah has been almost universally un-recommended (?) although I see some here have found it OK.

-Chris

Excellent, thank you for that Chris. I think that will likely cover me for the rest of the southbound leg this season. My thinking at this point is that I'll likely not make it as far as Florida. I'm leaning toward picking a home port in SC or GA, and stick around there for a few weeks, maybe a month. I'm thinking maybe Charleston, but I haven't thought too much about it yet.

Hey Wayfarer,
Curious minds want to know. How far are you along in your trip?

I'm in Belhaven, NC at the moment. I haven't got into town yet, but that's coming this afternoon :thumb:

Myrtle Beach area is much less expensive than the Charleston area...pretty much the same weather.

Just depends on what you like in a homeport.

Plenty to do in either...just different flavor. Better boating in Charleston..but for a multi-month layover...bet you can find slips half price north of Charleston to the N. Carolina Border...plus don't know about Charleston...but in Myrtle Beach area you are forgiven up to 180 days before you are subject to taxes...possible registration too. Can't say for Charleston area.

Excellent, thank you for that Chris. I think that will likely cover me for the rest of the southbound leg this season. My thinking at this point is that I'll likely not make it as far as Florida. I'm leaning toward picking a home port in SC or GA, and stick around there for a few weeks, maybe a month. I'm thinking maybe Charleston, but I haven't thought too much about it yet.

I'm in Belhaven, NC at the moment. I haven't got into town yet, but that's coming this afternoon :thumb:

Dave, you need to loop around FL and get into Gulf waters. It is fine to even run part of the Loop in reverse going up the Tombigbee WW and then the Tennessee. Been that way a few times. Or just be crazy and go to "Nawlins."

The marinas here are going to be out of commission for at least another year or two, but "Gano's Marina" here on the bayou is looking like it will be functional again by the end of this week, hooray! We always leave the lght on for wandering wayfarers. :)

Dave, have you resolved your dinghy issues yet? That will save you a ton of money in no time. Belhaven would be a perfect case in point. If you haven't, the locals there may be able to help, otherwise Morehead City/Beaufort or perhaps Oriental will be the next places to get that addressed.

As for SC or Georgia for longer stays, I'd pick Savannah personally, given the array of services and amenities there, it's a beautiful town with lots of infrastructure for the yachtsman to do work on his boat or have it done in a first class fashion by any number of good providers. Excellent cruising grounds within a day's sail, with pretty anchorages unaffected by the mess of the new law. As I mentioned before, we like Thunderbolt Marina, but there are other choices in the neighborhood. Fun places to explore with the dink too without untying the big boat.

Second choice would be Georgetown, a miniature version of Savannah, with beautiful cruising and gunkholing grounds to explore on the Waccamaw River and its many tributaries. Also some good dinghy action in the area. We liked the friendly confines of Georgetown Landing for a variety of reasons, and you can get your exercise via the pretty walk to downtown from there. Fairly easy drive to Myrtle Beach and environs by car.

Bew-fert SC is a nice town, not far from Savannah by car. We always anchored there and now moorings are an option if available. Fewer marine services than the other two.

Other options too, just ask.

Again, if leaving a boat on and off... ya might want to look up the registration and tax laws.

Georgia I thought had a very short time for registration, not sure about taxes though.

Again, if leaving a boat on and off... ya might want to look up the registration and tax laws.

Georgia I thought had a very short time for registration, not sure about taxes though.

South Carolina, if you are here for 6 or more months, they want their $$ regardless of where you have the boat registered. Some counties are more lax than others, some even have tax employees who visit airports and marinas to keep track of aircraft and boats that are either stored or parked here for extended periods. I have lived in Charleston SC for 30+ years and do not consider it a local boater friendly town. Over the years I have seen prices for slips go through the roof and there are almost no DIY boat yards anymore.

But if you are willing to pay, I think there is no better place to visit or stay for a couple of months than Charleston. There are endless things to do and see in Charleston and the food here is unbelievable.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom