Question about Entry/Departure Fees for Dinghys, PWCs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tcpip95

If my trawler has a dinghy with a 15 hp motor, and I also have a PWC on board, how do Entry/Departure fees/taxes, etc. get calculated? Do I pay a single fee that covers all 3? Are they separate fees?

I'm guessing that it's going to vary from country to country, but just to keep it simple, let's use the example of going from US to the Bahamas, which is where I'd be doing this the most. Thanks.

I sailed the from Antigua to Florida. As far as I can remember just paid a fee for the big boat, the skipper was sometimes free and each crew member, never for the dinghy.

This was before they hiked the rates in the Bahamas.

Have entered perhaps 15 countries and have never been asked about the tender.

I have encountered foreign customs officers who sought to collect entry fees or duty on anything and everything they could. It never hurts to try to argue the point and see what if any concessions you can obtain, but it takes stubborn patience, of which they have plenty and transient yachtsmen may have somewhat less.

To OP's question, no, I have never been asked for an entry fee on auxiliary watercraft being carried or towed. Wouldn't surprise me a bit though!

It really carries from country to country. And some times customs agent to customs agent.

When I go to the Bahamas I have never had them require me to clear jet skis or an on board tender as individual vessel. I've even had them overlook a 34' Grady we sometimes tow. But not always.

Same for some other countries. But you never know.

Last spring entering the Bahamas, they paid no attention to my inflatable dink with outboard. Just paid for the big boat. Their option, though. I was at my very best being polite!!!

T/T "Tender To" painted on the side of water toys is a help that it is equipment from the mother ship.

T/T "Tender To" painted on the side of water toys is a help that it is equipment from the mother ship.

I would not identify a tender at T/T Mothership. That is a direct invitation to thieves that the mothership is available for their nefarious plans.

As to fees on a tender, I've never been asked for any. Now that is with them on deck and not being towed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom