PNW mooring options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have not looked into this for awhile so my understanding might be off. I am under the impression that a US registered boat can not stay moored in Canada for a whole year. Just something to follow up on before you decide to Moore in Canada.

I think Blaine/Bellingham is about as far north as we will keep the boat. We have a son and 2 grandchildren in Tacoma, and that is close enough to visit them but too far away to get stuck babysitting all the time!

Pt. Roberts would be a longer drive. Poulsbo would be perfect, but a little harder to get to from SeaTac and too far to make flying into Vancouver for the cheaper airfare worth it.

I'm thinking maybe this coming season we will move around a bit and just do transient moorage. If we don't have a permanent slip by September, maybe pull the boat out at Anacortes and leave it on the hard for the winter.

Surely by then we will have a better idea of where we want to be long-term.

I think Blaine/Bellingham is about as far north as we will keep the boat. We have a son and 2 grandchildren in Tacoma, and that is close enough to visit them but too far away to get stuck babysitting all the time!

Surely this is an argument for Tacoma. We have a daughter in college there and the boat serves as our "home away" when we visit.

I have not looked into this for awhile so my understanding might be off. I am under the impression that a US registered boat can not stay moored in Canada for a whole year. Just something to follow up on before you decide to Moore in Canada.

In Canada, a boat is considered personal property, like your suitcase. You can bring anything with you to Canada, but at 12 months you must pay tax, or must re-export it. This means driving across the Haro to Roche Harbor, checking in for a few hours or a night, then coming back. Now you have a new 12 months as it is a new entry.

Washington isn't nearly as friendly. 60 days after you enter, you owe use tax, around 9% of the value. Before the 60 days expire, you can apply for a cruising permit for an additional 60 days (must be done in person). That can be extended a further 60 days (again in person), then you must leave the state for 180 days. There are a couple of exceptions, one is buying a one time cruising permit from the broker you bought the boat from (12 months one time only), another is if the boat is actively for sale with a broker.

Both Canada and Washington have a holiday for time that the boat is being worked on locally. But in Washington, the yard owner must submit paperwork, signed by a notary, every 60 days, and it may not be approved in which case you now owe the tax.

Enforcement of all of these laws seems fairly lax, but certainly people have been caught and taxed. The cost for getting caught is quite high.

That's my understanding, but of course check with authorities (good luck with that - most of them haven't a clue).

Playing the transient game makes sense. With the anacortes on the hard back up plan you are now free to roam.

OK, I need some opinions from some of the PNW cruisers here.

We are buying a 48' (52' overall) boat in Port Townsend, and will need to find a slip to keep her in. The current marina has a 4-year waiting list so, there you go! We spent the month of September visiting marinas and got on the waiting list at Cap Sante in Anacortes, and at Liberty Bay in Poulsbo, and a couple of others. Right now, Cap Sante is our first choice, but we are #18 on the list, and it is not looking like there is much turn-over in this size slip. So we may be waiting quite a while!

What's her beam?

Beam is 15' 6"

We had a slip at Liberty Bay a few years back: very nice marina with great management (Kathy) and the price was fairly reasonable also. We only moved to be closer to our home.

Bellingham is a wonderful place, but has long wait lists. As was mentioned, Blaine, which has availability now, is run by the Port of Bellingham and so you do gain an advantage if you're waitlisted for Bham. We're in Blaine and have the following observations:

1. It's a beautiful, modern marina with a great staff.

2. Although it has no fuel, Semiahmoo does and is only just across the channel. Blaine tenants get a discount on the already excellent fuel prices in Semiahmoo.

3. There is a great yard with large vessel capability. They're easy to work with and can do anything.

4. It's 20 minutes from Bellingham by freeway, where all the other service facilities and marine supply places are.

5. International flights out of Vancouver are often less expensive than out of Seattle. We even fly out of YVR to New York on occasion due to the significant savings. It's easy to get in and out of YVR and inexpensive parking is available. It's the closest major airport to Blaine. Forget Bellingham...flights in and out of Bham are almost always much more expensive than either SEA or YVR.

6. Blaine is a few hours closer to the Canadian Gulf Islands and points north than Bellingham, La Conner or Anacortes. Yes, you do have to transit the Straits of Georgia, which can kick up at times. However, they're not particularly frightening to experienced boaters, no worse than some of the channels in the southern San Juans, and usually aren't a huge deal. The key is to consider both wind and tidal currents; when they oppose one another in some areas you don't want to be there in any size vessel. You're also close to the northern San Juans in Blaine.

7. The current exchange rate strongly favors Americans spending money in Canada. The greater Vancouver area (the "lower mainland") has many, many excellent marine repair options. Smart owners often take their boats into Canada for canvas work, engine work, etc. A friend just put a new diesel into his boat for about 30% less than he could have in Bellingham or Seattle; he had the work done in Nanaimo.

8. There are, indeed, many great opportunities for moorage in BC, both on the mainland and on the island. The previous poster was accurate in stating that foreign boats may not remain in BC year-round. I think that the current requirement is to leave BC after the boating season ends at the end of October. You can get a permit to overwinter in BC if you're having work done. Alternatively, you can pay the duty & tax and keep it up there year-round. Some owners keep their boats in the US during the winter, but move them up into BC for the summer season, flying back and forth to the US between cruises.

9. You will definitely need to pay tax either in Washington or BC; neither jurisdiction will allow you to remain long-term without paying state/provincial taxes.

10. For travel to Canada, you need a federal radio license from the FCC for your VHF, radar, epirb, and any other devices that radiate in the radio spectrum. Sure, lots of US boaters don't get this, but it's technically required.

11. You definitely do need a DTOPS decal from US CBP for returning from Canada. As was stated, a Nexus card greatly facilitates crossing the border, usually allowing telephone check-in rather than having to report to a designated customs reporting station; this only applies if everyone aboard is a Nexus card holder. A benefit of the Nexus is that it's a recognized "trusted traveler" program and can get you into the short line at airports. There's also a new phone app for returning to the US where you can do a video call to the officials for clearance.

12. Both Washington and British Columbia require a boater's card for boat operators. You can get one by taking an online course through BoatUS Foundation or can attend a physical class. BC grants reciprocity for Washington's card and vice-versa.

South Puget Sound has some lovely cruising grounds. The middle sound...Seattle-Everett...is basically an area to be transited rather than cruised. Port Townsend is a major center for boats and marine service, but requires you to transit the Straits of Juan de Fuca to get north (unless you go east around Whidbey Island and up the inside route). These straits can get pretty nautical at times; watch your weather windows and tides. The best moorage for quick access to the San Juans would be, in order, Anacortes, La Conner, Bellingham, and Blaine. Sidney, BC and surrounds are also close to the San Juans. The Canadian Gulf Islands and points north open up into a lifetime of cruising opportunities.

Another option that was mentioned is Bremerton Marina. You can take light rail from SeaTac to Pioneer Square and walk to the ferry terminal. Take the ferry and your boat is right where you get off the ferry. The West Marine is about 4 miles away and buses go right by it Not as cute as Poulsbo but might be more convenient. I’d want a boat with thrusters for this marina to help offset the currents.

8. There are, indeed, many great opportunities for moorage in BC, both on the mainland and on the island. The previous poster was accurate in stating that foreign boats may not remain in BC year-round. I think that the current requirement is to leave BC after the boating season ends at the end of October. You can get a permit to overwinter in BC if you're having work done. Alternatively, you can pay the duty & tax and keep it up there year-round. Some owners keep their boats in the US during the winter, but move them up into BC for the summer season, flying back and forth to the US between cruises.

9. You will definitely need to pay tax either in Washington or BC; neither jurisdiction will allow you to remain long-term without paying state/provincial taxes.
Neither of those statements is correct.

Another option that was mentioned is Bremerton Marina. You can take light rail from SeaTac to Pioneer Square and walk to the ferry terminal. Take the ferry and your boat is right where you get off the ferry. The West Marine is about 4 miles away and buses go right by it Not as cute as Poulsbo but might be more convenient. I’d want a boat with thrusters for this marina to help offset the currents.

Similar idea is Bainbridge. But the ferry time is cut just about in half (35 mins vs an hour). We have a fantastic market for provisioning (Town and Country).

You can also use a car service (or uber/lyft) from SeaTac. I almost always do because riding light rail means a later ferry in every case.

I'm on the south side of the harbor, in a great, just refurbished, marina. I'm checking with them for you to see if they have space. Prices are very good compared to what I have seen elsewhere although I don't know pricing up in Anacortes/Bellingham etc.

We keep our boat in Anacortes and love it. There are 3 or 4 condominium marinas in Anacortes that are a nice option if the budget allows. We bought in Anchor cove marina and love it. Another thing with the condo's is that you are allowed to live aboard in them. It may be a factor if you want to live aboard seasonally?

10. For travel to Canada, you need a federal radio license from the FCC for your VHF, radar, epirb, and any other devices that radiate in the radio spectrum. Sure, lots of US boaters don't get this, but it's technically required.

Not for about the past 10 years. The Feds are out of the pleasure boat radio licensing business. Your Epirb will need a registration #, but not your VHF or Radar, which has never needed a license.
You will need a PCOC and a VHF ROC-M is encouraged, though not mandatory.

Not for about the past 10 years. The Feds are out of the pleasure boat radio licensing business. Your Epirb will need a registration #, but not your VHF or Radar, which has never needed a license.
You will need a PCOC and a VHF ROC-M is encouraged, though not mandatory.

Your radio doesn't need a license, but I was under the impression that the boat does if you are operating a US flagged boat in most foreign jurisdictions including Canada. This is the Radiotelephone Operators Permit available from the FCC. If you have an MMSI for AIS, it has to be real one from the FCC as well.

Your radio doesn't need a license, but I was under the impression that the boat does if you are operating a US flagged boat in most foreign jurisdictions including Canada. This is the Radiotelephone Operators Permit available from the FCC. If you have an MMSI for AIS, it has to be real one from the FCC as well.

Sorry if I misunderstood your original statement. In my training to do what was then called a Courtesy Examination(CE), I didn't know there could be a radio license for a boat, as separate from the then mandatory radio station license for the "station". I now assume those were the same thing, here in Canada, as my own did not specify the radio that it licensed, only its location on my boat, where I had 2 radios for many years and only one license. When our Gov discontinued its role of overseeing pleasure boat radio licensing, I had one less form to send in every year and one less fee to pay every year. As in most things with our Gov, I expected this was after other Govs, including yours, had stopped requiring such licensing. Maybe it didn't work that way.

Is the Radiotelephone Operators Permit you reference your equivalent to the Canadian ROC-M (Radio Operators Certificate-Marine) issued upon passing an exam? Ours is issued to the person and never needs to be renewed, as it is good for your lifetime.

A CE would never be done on a US flagged vessel by the RCMSAR, as we would never be called upon to give an inspection sticker to a US flagged vessel. Enforcement is left to the RCMP and the real CCG, who, if you are lucky, will be up to date on requirements for inspection of US flagged vessels, while in Canadian Waters.

A bit of clarification on VHF license requirements, for US vessels:

You’re not required to have them in US waters, but if you’re heading across the border you do need two FCC radio licenses – one for you, and one for the boat. The Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit (for you) is issued for life. The Ship Station License (for the boat) must be renewed every ten years.

Saboga, Eagle Harbor Marina has a 60' slip freeing up shortly. It's the nicest marina I have ever seen anywhere, brand new. I mentioned above some of the benefits.

Call Bob or Lisa at 206-842-4003.

PM me if you want any other details. Best of luck with your choices!

Saboga, Eagle Harbor Marina has a 60' slip freeing up shortly. It's the nicest marina I have ever seen anywhere, brand new. I mentioned above some of the benefits.

Call Bob or Lisa at 206-842-4003.

PM me if you want any other details. Best of luck with your choices!

Thanks, we are adding Eagle Harbor to our list. I see that they are not accepting any liveaboards. What is their definition of a liveaboard? We would normally be staying on the boat when we are in the PNW area, and that might be 3-4 months out of the year, although a lot of that time we plan to be out cruising.

I know some marinas are very strict about no liveaboards, and others are 'No liveaboards (wink, wink) Just don't draw any attention and no one will say anything!"

Thanks, we are adding Eagle Harbor to our list. I see that they are not accepting any liveaboards. What is their definition of a liveaboard? We would normally be staying on the boat when we are in the PNW area, and that might be 3-4 months out of the year, although a lot of that time we plan to be out cruising.

I know some marinas are very strict about no liveaboards, and others are 'No liveaboards (wink, wink) Just don't draw any attention and no one will say anything!"

My moorage agreement says we may stay on board up to 4 nights a month. There are at least 3 liveaboards in the marina that were grandfathered in. The limit is a city thing, not this marina's decision. I have no idea if they really monitor it. Doubt it.

Also, there are many places closeby to be on the hook. Even right in Eagle Harbor.

-----
One of the reasons we picked Bainbridge Island to live on, seven years prior to having the boat, is easy access to SeaTac. I was travelling 1-2 times per month by air and I wanted it to be quick and easy, which it is.

I know boaters that live in Seattle and have their boat in Bellingham or Anacortes. Me, I don't want to be that far.

If you moor in Bellingham, or Anacortes for that matter, you can fly up to B'ham from SeaTac, on Alaska Air. It's like 30 minutes or something.

Personally I wouldn't enjoy driving I-5 very often. There is a lot of traffic.

--
Happy to chat with you on the phone if you have any more questions, PM your number.

Back
Top Bottom