Old 08-14-2018, 08:59 PM   #21
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoKa View Post
Reasonable is a relative term. To some a 1500-2000/mo fee is acceptable, to me the promotional 600/mo is high. I would pay 2-300/mo happily for my 50+ boat somewhere, with 1-2 hours commute, but it does not exist.
The only place I know is the Eagle Harbor open water mooring, but it requires dinghy commute to shore. In a nasty weather condition, or when emergency repairs are needed; it could be very challenging. Solar system and watermaker is almost a requirement there. They have a one-time only application process, so it is not easy to coordinate the process, even if I'd decided to go there. The 200+/mo price is very attractive, though.
All the others are the same price. Port Orchard, Bremerton, Bainbridge, La Conner, Port Townsend, would charge you $8+/foot/mo. Sometimes have promotions, but it is rare.
Anything closer to Seattle starts at $12/foot and goes up to $18-20/foot. For my boat that means 800-2000/mo mooring fee. Even if I could afford it, I would not pay that much.
South Seattle's Duwamish Yacht Club is priced very reasonably, but there is a big problem there. The bottom is too muddy and it is filling up rapidly. The Club will not renew the lease with the city, because they don't have money to clean the waters. Everybody is trying to sell the slips, but nobody is buying them. So, the prices are low. Perhaps it could work for someone for short term.

I’d say you have a good understanding of moorage in Seattle. Two places you didn’t mention, Tacoma and commute by car, or park shore marina on lake Washington. They tend to be cheaper but not sure the work for you.

tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:09 PM   #22
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
My slip in Gig Harbor would be $10/foot for a 50’ slip. Foss harbor in Tacoma lists a 50’ open slip for $547/month. So Tacoma is less less than Seattle but not exactly cheap.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:46 PM   #23

City: Bremerton
Vessel Name: Ironside
Vessel Model: 54' Bruce Roberts design, custom built, steel, sailboat hull, single CAT 3306.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb1025 View Post
A lot of people just pitch a tent downtown and walk to work. And it is free.
Yes, I see them every morning. Lol
Nobody with a boat, yet. Shall I be the first?
LeoKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:57 PM   #24

Vessel Model: 54' Bruce Roberts design, custom built, steel, sailboat hull, single CAT 3306.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
I’d say you have a good understanding of moorage in Seattle. Two places you didn’t mention, Tacoma and commute by car, or park shore marina on lake Washington. They tend to be cheaper but not sure the work for you.
Yes, there are several marina's in the Tacoma area. The affordable ones are close to the harbor and there is an awful smell lingering around often. Further out is nicer, but pricey. Even if the price was acceptable, the commute is a disaster. Tacoma highway is being converted for the last 15-20 years. I am not sure, if that will ever be finished? I thought about using P&R for my car and take the light-rail to downtown Seattle. Not bad, I just hate driving now, even for that 30 minutes drive. Traffic lights, single lanes, etc. Plus, not much savings is there in the marina comparing to Bremerton.

I have checked marina's on Lake Washington, too. It is my understanding that only Bellevue and Kirkland has slips big enough for me. The big applies to the per foot price too. It starts around $13/foot and higher. So, east side of the lake is out. The west side of the lake does not have big enough slips.

I used live in Kirkland, so I had the opportunity to look around.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:13 PM   #25
Guru

City: Vashon Island, WA
Vessel Name: Island Breeze
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 36-427
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive
Have you called and checked Quartermaster marina on Vashon Island? They have a commuter walk on ferry as well as regular ferry service.
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolive View Post
Have you called and checked Quartermaster marina on Vashon Island? They have a commuter walk on ferry as well as regular ferry service.

Yes, I have. Last year. A 50+ will cost around $500/mo. Yes, the ferry/foot ferry is there, but the marina is on the other side of the island. I went out there to see the commute. You need to drive/park with your car, or ride the bus to the ferry. Since it is a one lane road, in rush hour you'd wait a while before you cross the island.
The place is beautiful, though. The marina was in good shape but only few 50+ slips.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:28 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
You're going to have a tough go of it finding what you're looking for in any metropolitan area based on your criteria. You're not going to find inexpensive with a short/convenient commute to a major city. If it existed, there would be a 10+ yr waiting list.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:31 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
You're going to have a tough go of it finding what you're looking for in any metropolitan area based on your criteria. You're not going to find inexpensive with a short/convenient commute to a major city. If it existed, there would be a 10+ yr waiting list.
Yes, it is tough, but can happen.

I am doing 2 hours commute, one way, daily now. I am not sure, if we can call that short/convenient?
Inexpensive exist. There were few ideas about it earlier.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:28 PM   #29

City: Anacortes
I'm surprised that there are any slips available.
Here in Anacortes the waiting lists are really long, some don't even take new names.
Bigger slips are always in short supply.
sean9c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:53 PM   #30
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Try the little marina on Union Slough off the western end of Steamboat Slough. Where old 99 crosses the two Sloughs. Can’t remember the name. May need high tide to get out. Been there since the 60’s but prolly many years before that.

Ahh ... it’s “SeaCreast”.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Try the little marina on Union Slough
Ahh ... it’s “SeaCreast”.
I remember this one. I tried to find it last year, but I got lost and gave up.
Maybe I will visit them again.
Their web site does not load and the phone is not answered. I wonder, if they are still in business?
Old 08-16-2018, 06:57 PM   #32
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Our last season in the PNW, we had the same problem. We found Craig’s list worked for 2 months and we could have extended for more than a year. We placed want ads every 3-4 days to keep them fresh. The year before that we found morage by walking the docks on weekends and talking/asking people. Small marinas didn’t have any vacancies till we met the dock manger or the tenants. The face time opened a lot of doors. People want to know their neighbors. Good luck on your search.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:07 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
The year before that we found morage by walking the docks on weekends and talking/asking people. Small marinas didn’t have any vacancies till we met the dock manger or the tenants. The face time opened a lot of doors. People want to know their neighbors. Good luck on your search.
This definitely works for some but not others.
If you're nice and look like this, then yes Click image for larger version

Name:	white couple.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	79753
If you're nice and look like this, probably not.Click image for larger version

Name:	homeless couple.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	79754
If you're nice and look like this, maybe Click image for larger version

Name:	black couple.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	79755

I find that if you don't resemble the first example, it might serve you well to build a relationship via phone or email before showing up.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:33 AM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Kenmore
Vessel Name: Snapdragon
Vessel Model: Seakeeper 41'
A couple years ago I inquired about a condominium slip for sale at the Duwamish Yacht club that was shockingly cheap. It was 4 or 5 miles from Downtown Seattle. I don't remember the exact price, or size but it was something like $25,000 for a 45Ft slip, with a couple hundred bucks a month dues. They might be worth checking out. It had secure parking, a caretaker, showers, clubhouse, and even a storage shed. I think liveaboards were allowed too.
Snapdragon III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 09:55 AM   #35
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapdragon III View Post
A couple years ago I inquired about a condominium slip for sale at the Duwamish Yacht club that was shockingly cheap. It was 4 or 5 miles from Downtown Seattle. I don't remember the exact price, or size but it was something like $25,000 for a 45Ft slip, with a couple hundred bucks a month dues. They might be worth checking out. It had secure parking, a caretaker, showers, clubhouse, and even a storage shed. I think liveaboards were allowed too.
Interesting as Condominium slips are often available here at reasonable prices, although reasonable here is many times the $25,000 there. Still condominiums and HOA's built marinas as amenities but often greatly overestimated how many home owners or condo owners would have boats.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:44 AM   #36
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Duwamish yacht club is cheap due to contaminated siltting issuses. Make sure understand all the issues facing them before you buy in.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:47 AM   #37
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapdragon III View Post

That is very cheap. I bought a condo slip in Gig Harbor back in 2010 (I think it was). It was a bank foreclosure and I made what I thought was a ridiculously low cash offer, far below the reduced asking price. The bank accepted the offer to get it off their books. Even so, it was a lot more than $25,000.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:31 PM   #38

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
There are always cheaper places, but you have to beat the bushes to find them. I always have found non marina dockage. I haven't docked a private boat in a marina since the 1970s. Except as a transient. Check out waterfront businesses and houses with a dock but no marine use. Some people want extra money from renting their dock. Sometimes with power and water and sometimes not.

I have a private dock on the Columbia where I winter. Before I got it, the po rented space for $4/foot and power but no water. I could put in a well, but just use my watermaker.
Old dilapidated docks with commercial fishing boats is another place to look. In general any area that has commercial boats with few yachts has cheaper dockage.
If you're tied to Seattle because of work, you could consider Kitsap County and ride the ferry. I use to do that as a walk on passenger. I kept a beater car on the Seattle side and it was free to park (at that time) on the Kitsap side. Lotta houses over there with docks, many don't use their dock. I use to cross at Southworth.

The further you get away from Seattle, the better prices are in general.
There is a slough or river on the backside of Everett that has some cheaper docks. I haven't been there, but had a friend that kept a commercial boat there in the off season.
Another possibility is get a cheap powerboat and buy dockage for that and tie the big boat to pilings or anchor out. I do that in Alaska sometimes. I carry a 16' Bayliner for grocery trips.
How do you pumpout when you are docked at a private home? This is something I have always wondered about.

Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote