Pensacola Area Marinas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sbu22

Guru
Vessel Name
Panache
Vessel Make
Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
I’m planning a trip to the Pensacola area this spring. The idea is to spot the boat in Pensacola for a few weeks and have kids and grandkids come for a long weekend (there’s a couple of sets) and use it as a base of operations.

My boat is a 43 with a 14.5 beam. In searching for the right place, I’m encountering a little difficulty. First, I tried Active Captain. But, much of their data about marina slips is incomplete. Then, I go to reviews and find most are far out of date. With the weather inputs of the last few years and the Gulf Breeze bridge construction, a lot can change since a 5-year-old review.

I’m probably looking for a unicorn in trying to find 1) a slip that will accommodate the boat – many seem to be focused on max 30 footers; 2) accommodate 4-5’ draft; 3) decent shower/restroom setup; 4) takes transients – several that could work aren’t accepting short term.

Being “in town” is not an issue – we’ll have a vehicle over there as well.

Anyone have suggestions? Much appreciated.

Beginning of November I stayed at The Oyster Bar Marina and Restaurant. Good transient stop for our group. Seafood restaurant was very good. Not sure about the shower / restroom, as I prefer to use my boat's. If at all possible, you want to be on the inside in a slip, not outside on the face dock.

Ted

Last year I spent a week at the Palafox Marina in downtown Pensacola. Very nice, not the cheapest, but the location can’t be beat. In the very heart of downtown, there was a street party on one Friday per month and we happened to be there for it. Next day there was a farmers market with a band within short walking distance and a British vintage car show a short bike ride away. Really enjoyed my stay there. The public bathroom and shower are in the restaurant building but accessed by a separate entrance. This has caused some heartache for a few reviewers on Active Captain but it didn’t worry me since I was completely self contained and don’t use these facilities anyway. The harbor master wasn’t allowed to give a discount when I asked so he simply knocked off a few feet from my boat length that resulted in a nice discount anyway.
I will go back for sure.
Don’t miss the navy flight museum at NAS Pensacola.

Where are you coming from? I am (long term) at MarineMax Bahia
Mar in Bayou Chico, similar type boat, there are a few other options in the Bayou as well that you could check out. Pensacola is a great location to hang out, and the Blues are back in town! Catch them Wednesday’s practicing their show! Good luck!

Gonna check it out this weekend. Thanks OC. Think I'll arrange visit to coincide with lunch.
With one head under reno that has zero chance of timely completion and the gang I'm looking at, i'm afraid the remaining head will be overtaxed at times. Heads/showers the quality of the Houston Yacht Club or Gulfport Marina are OK with me.

Thanks, McG and JimW - headed over this weekend to look around.

I've stayed several times in Palafox; 1st class. Several friends in the area keep their boats in B. Chico marinas, Palm Harbor, Island cove and Yacht Harbor. If Pensacola doesn't work out the Wharf in Gulf Shores would be an ideal place to bring kids on board. Have fun!

I love the Palafox marina. You can walk to almost anything you need in entertainment there.

Where are you coming from? I am (long term) at MarineMax Bahia
Mar in Bayou Chico, similar type boat, there are a few other options in the Bayou as well that you could check out. Pensacola is a great location to hang out, and the Blues are back in town! Catch them Wednesday’s practicing their show! Good luck!

Jim I will be there also about July11th till 18th, what can you tell me about MarineMax rates and services? I know it's the Blue's Weekend so everyone will be busy. Thanks in advance.

Jim I will be there also about July11th till 18th, what can you tell me about MarineMax rates and services? I know it's the Blue's Weekend so everyone will be busy. Thanks in advance.

By the way my Endeavour is 44 by 18.5 with a 3 foot draft.

I’m planning a trip to the Pensacola area this spring. The idea is to spot the boat in Pensacola for a few weeks and have kids and grandkids come for a long weekend (there’s a couple of sets) and use it as a base of operations.

My boat is a 43 with a 14.5 beam. In searching for the right place, I’m encountering a little difficulty. First, I tried Active Captain. But, much of their data about marina slips is incomplete. Then, I go to reviews and find most are far out of date. With the weather inputs of the last few years and the Gulf Breeze bridge construction, a lot can change since a 5-year-old review.

I’m probably looking for a unicorn in trying to find 1) a slip that will accommodate the boat – many seem to be focused on max 30 footers; 2) accommodate 4-5’ draft; 3) decent shower/restroom setup; 4) takes transients – several that could work aren’t accepting short term.

Being “in town” is not an issue – we’ll have a vehicle over there as well.

Anyone have suggestions? Much appreciated.

Have you been able to find anything? I am a 44 by 18.5 with a 3 foot draft and need a slip for mid July.

We have stayed at Palafox several times and always enjoyed it, call ahead as they were nearly full when we were there a couple of weeks ago, It is a good location and the crew are very helpful.

Nice accommodations, a bit corporate (a Marinemax facility) next to the Oar House Restaurant (good food), not sure about the transit rate, fuel dock, convenient.

Palafox is great but call soon. You could also try the santa Rosa yacht club, though you'll have to deal with beach traffic when you drive anywhere. If you belong to a Yacht club you can get check to see if Pensacola Yacht Club allows reciprocity. they have nice facilities, new docks, a pool, and a good restaurant. That is a very busy weekend so I'd call asap! Good luck.

We've also stayed at Palafax several times and always been very happy there.

Santa Rosa has nicer facilities (restrooms, laundry, gym, etc) than Palafox. I would guess they are about the same rate. As pointed out above, Santa Rosa will be in the middle of a Traffic Jam on Blue Angels weekend, or any weekend in the Summer. Great location otherwise.

Thanks to all who made the effort to respond. Midway in our getaway/surveillance weekend we had to return due to a family situation. That has led to the cancellation of the planned "voyage". I apologise for being "that guy" who starts a thread and then disappears.

I'm intrigued by the Oyster Bar - it's basically the Ranger Tug dealer's showroom. The marina seems to be almost an afterthought. A little short on shore amenities, but great place. If you're looking for nightlife, you'll need transportation. Thought the restaurant was great. Had a great lunch there - thanks, Ted. Nice folks. I like it.

Does anyone know anything about Sabine Marina? Can’t find much recent info but it appears closest to the beach which is my preference.

Does anyone know anything about Sabine Marina? Can’t find much recent info but it appears closest to the beach which is my preference.

Are you looking for transient for a day or two or something more permanent?

We've only been there in a RIB, when exploring the area. At your size, you could have a difficult time getting dockage there as they're mostly smaller boats. Narrow channel in. Older wooden fixed docks.

As to reviews, mostly positive but the ones on AC are all old. Google reviews are good. A lot of other information is mixed between their website, Waterway Guide and Active Captain, so you'd have to ask them. WG and AC show transient rates are $1, but their website shows $2.

If you check with them on your size, make sure you ask about beam as well as length as you're very close to their slip width.

Are you looking for transient for a day or two or something more permanent?

We've only been there in a RIB, when exploring the area. At your size, you could have a difficult time getting dockage there as they're mostly smaller boats. Narrow channel in. Older wooden fixed docks.

As to reviews, mostly positive but the ones on AC are all old. Google reviews are good. A lot of other information is mixed between their website, Waterway Guide and Active Captain, so you'd have to ask them. WG and AC show transient rates are $1, but their website shows $2.

If you check with them on your size, make sure you ask about beam as well as length as you're very close to their slip width.

Thanks...I’m going to ask David to call them. We’re just looking for a few days.

We spent a week in Pensacola in August bringing our boat home from FL to TX recently.

In looking at several marinas, we ended up staying at the Pensacola Beach Marina. Our boat is 46 with a 15 beam and had no issues with accommodations and power. Fuel was reasonable and they were about seven bucks a foot for a week stay, which was way cheaper than most marinas we found in FL.

It is literally a walk across the street to the beach with the beachball water tower and the boardwalk. If you want quick access to a great beach and the restaurants and bars on the boardwalk, this is a great place to stay.

I attached a file with an aerial view from maps. They put us on the T head on the upper left hand corner of the picture. Didn't have any issues with getting waked, etc. and were pleased with the stay.

We are planning on going back in the spring and leaving the boat there for a month and flying back on weekends.

There are a couple of restaurants we docked at while there too, might be worth checking out... Peg Leg Pete's and the Grand Marlin. We enjoyed both. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• pensacola beach marina.jpg
    pensacola beach marina.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 92
We spent a week in Pensacola in August bringing our boat home from FL to TX recently.

In looking at several marinas, we ended up staying at the Pensacola Beach Marina. Our boat is 46 with a 15 beam and had no issues with accommodations and power. Fuel was reasonable and they were about seven bucks a foot for a week stay, which was way cheaper than most marinas we found in FL.

It is literally a walk across the street to the beach with the beachball water tower and the boardwalk. If you want quick access to a great beach and the restaurants and bars on the boardwalk, this is a great place to stay.

I attached a file with an aerial view from maps. They put us on the T head on the upper left hand corner of the picture. Didn't have any issues with getting waked, etc. and were pleased with the stay.

We are planning on going back in the spring and leaving the boat there for a month and flying back on weekends.

There are a couple of restaurants we docked at while there too, might be worth checking out... Peg Leg Pete's and the Grand Marlin. We enjoyed both. Hope this helps.

Very helpful thanks!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom