Opinions; Astoria, Columbia River, Portland OR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom, I've seen that paper before and there's one item on there that I take issue with. They say to use a bow line and stern line. Nope, we do it with a single mid-ship line and it's much easier.

I also discovered the secret to being bounced around when you're being raised in one of our locks. I want to put a graphic together first so I'll get back to you on that one.

Wifey B: We use a single line too, just loop it around the bollard. We go overboard on the fenders.

The one thing I'm guessing you don't get too much of on the Columbia but I don't know is when you lock through with tows and other large vessels, be prepared for their prop wash. :eek::eek::eek: We've locked through a few times tied to one of them. That makes a real smooth ride.

And listen to the lockmaster well. He's done it a few times before and he'll help you every way he can. If you have any questions, ask them. If you're not ready, let them know you're still working on it. I felt so sorry for a pontoon boat one day in Guntersville Lock i think. The lockmaster was very patient though. At one point the pontoon had been swept around by the wind and was facing the wrong way. Most lockmasters are very nice though. :)

Tom, I set up those fender boards when we were on the trip to Calif. We got to Ilwaco and the fuel dock only had rough logs to tie up to. They did the trick. We've never had a bollard hang up, but Tina has a VERY sharp, serrated blade knife attached to her inflatable pfd in case it ever happens. She knows to cut the line immediately.

Here's a short video I took inside McNary lock of a bollard hopping around. I've never seen this before but we both got a kick out of it.

"The one thing I'm guessing you don't get too much of on the Columbia but I don't know is when you lock through with tows and other large vessels, be prepared for their prop wash. :eek::eek::eek: We've locked through a few times tied to one of them. That makes a real smooth ride."

WifeyB, we've locked through with tugs and barges several times. They wait for us to get out ahead of them for two reasons: 1, they don't want to sink us with their prop wash and, 2. they know we'll be on our way and out of their way when they come out.

"The one thing I'm guessing you don't get too much of on the Columbia but I don't know is when you lock through with tows and other large vessels, be prepared for their prop wash. :eek::eek::eek: We've locked through a few times tied to one of them. That makes a real smooth ride."

WifeyB, we've locked through with tugs and barges several times. They wait for us to get out ahead of them for two reasons: 1, they don't want to sink us with their prop wash and, 2. they know we'll be on our way and out of their way when they come out.

Wifey B: We've pulled out ahead too but we've also been in locks where they were in front and they went first. :)

Wifey B: We've pulled out ahead too but we've also been in locks where they were in front and they went first. :)
I wouldn't have a problem with that but I'd want to make darn sure I had plenty of fenders out and engines running before he started to move.

those of you saying you get by with on mid line...wow. I've been in locks, including ballard at times, wwhere absolutely no way you get by with a single line. Once you get a bit of movement pushing the bow away from the lock sides, or whoever you're rafted to, you almost have to have a bow line, or the ability to give some throttle and get the bow back strait. I've had lock tenders give instructions to give forward throttle one way or another, and I've seen them be dead wrong more than once.

toni

those of you saying you get by with on mid line...wow. I've been in locks, including ballard at times, wwhere absolutely no way you get by with a single line. Once you get a bit of movement pushing the bow away from the lock sides, or whoever you're rafted to, you almost have to have a bow line, or the ability to give some throttle and get the bow back strait. I've had lock tenders give instructions to give forward throttle one way or another, and I've seen them be dead wrong more than once.

toni

Wifey B: We use one line from forward cleat to aft cleat, so not as shown in the photo. We also use the thrusters if needed, but seldom is. Now each boat is different and we do differently depending on the boat. Also each lock and situation is different. :)

Good job my friend. Ever have a Bullard stick on you requiring you to untie like yesterday?

I also saw someone (here on TF or CSR) use some old fenders and attach them to two 2x4s. Reason being the walls of the lock can get really nasty, so why mess up your good fenders.

Yes Tom, a fender board can be very helpful. In the Mississipi locks the walls get badly beat up and rust covered from the barges. The fender boards save fenders and boats. We had two big sacrificial fenders that we used too.

Good job Tom and Mike.

Sunchaser, we'll be back in your neck of the woods on 1/4. Are you up for lunch and a toddy again?

For those of you who haven't used fender board before, he's what they look like (artistic license taken).

Fender_Boards.jpg

Back
Top Bottom