Old 07-05-2016, 02:49 PM   #41
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Shipboard landings are only as safe as the pilot, the environmental conditions, the helo maintenance, the course and speed of the ship, area traffic and it's control or lack of...maybe a few more but those are usually the biggies.

Can it be safer than driving...sure ...some of the same issues affect both modes of transport.

Some guys I flew with were fearless...usually they had the worst safety record or at least the most close calls.

Not me...usually had at least one or two hairs on my neck standing every shipboard landing. I was happy to hear from crewmen that they liked flying with me...they trusted me to get them home every flight.

Even the Russians liked me during the cold war.......MEDEVACed this ship's doctor with double compound fracture of his arm to ADAK, Alaska from somewhere in the Bering Sea in a winter gale. Took time out from babysittng the crab boats in the Deadliest Catch...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SCAN0032.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	53870   Click image for larger version

Name:	SCAN0032 (2).jpg
Views:	44
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	53871  

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:33 PM   #42

City: Union, WA
Vessel Name: Touch of Grey
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
https://youtu.be/bbjh9wV7GOs

Video of small helicopter at the start of this year's Race 2 Alaska. Pretty scary stuff

bcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:05 PM   #43
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcam View Post

Video of small helicopter at the start of this year's Race 2 Alaska. Pretty scary stuff
Unless sanctioned as part of the event or was some sort of enforcement helo....pretty borderline irresponsible and surprised if a complaint didn't get the FAA questioning the pilot.

As a USCG helo pilot...we got away with a lot...but if over the water...usually was justified unless totally irresponsible. Still spurred plenty of complaints and mini-investigations.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:14 PM   #44

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcam View Post

That clip was in the news recently. The pilot was cited for operating so low. His excuse was that he had a news crew onboard and they asked him to fly lower so they could 'get a better shot'.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:21 PM   #45
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I believe that people have an established belief system, and they want to hear about mine about as much as I want to hear about theirs. .
Wifey B: AMEN!!!!!!!!!
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:30 PM   #46
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
That clip was in the news recently. The pilot was cited for operating so low. His excuse was that he had a news crew onboard and they asked him to fly lower so they could 'get a better shot'.
Good...as often as news crews crowd actual rescues without helping (bless those that do help)....they should pay the fine too!
Old 07-06-2016, 02:55 PM   #47
Guru

More info.....

wow...really unprofessional....

Low-flying helicopter at Race to Alaska's start under investigation — VIDEO -- Port Angeles Port Townsend Sequim Forks Jefferson County Clallam County Olympic Peninsula Daily NEWS

PORT TOWNSEND — Police are considering filing reckless endangerment charges against the pilot of a helicopter that dipped low over boaters at the beginning of Thursday's Race to Alaska.

“It appears that the helicopter violated height restrictions, “ said Detective Luke Bogues of the Port Townsend Police Department.

He said the helicopter's blades were below the masts of the ship on several occasions.

“It came so close to the water that a couple of paddleboarders were blown off course,” Bogues said.

Police Officer Bill Corrigan said the pilot was a 44-year-old man from Federal Way.

Police did not identify the man, who was not charged Thursday.

The pilot told police he was hired by a television news crew to film the proceedings.

He said the news crew was encouraging him to fly lower, and he expressed remorse for his decision, according to police.

Bogues said the police investigation included determining the news crew's identity.

The blue helicopter with no markings began circling the harbor at about 5:45 a.m., first staying well away from the boats and then dropping down to just above the water while several hundred observers watched the start of the race.

Emergency dispatchers at JeffCom 911 received several calls at about 6 a.m., Bogues said.

According to these calls, the helicopter was described as having flown some 8 to 15 feet above the water.

Several witnesses submitted their photographs and videos of the incident to police, Bogues said.

Corrigan reported the incident to the Federal Aviation Administration's Flight Standards District Office in Seattle.

The FAA may launch its own investigation into whether the pilot violated flight rules, Bogues said.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:31 AM   #48
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
What struck me was the absence of any tail numbers that I could see. I haven't been around flying for years, but aren't they required?

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:41 AM   #49
Guru

Thought I could see something on the tail boom but low resolution made it difficult.

Black lettering on what looked to be darker grey and low light didnt help.

Then again....maybe flying at those altitudes he decided to rake them off for the day...
Old 07-07-2016, 03:34 PM   #50
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Good luck.

That is a very unpleasant marina for a small boat. It is a closed rectangle, or almost square with only one open side.

Ferries racing by continuously make for a very confused sea with 4 to 6 foot wakes that then reflect off the walls.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:38 PM   #51
Veteran Member

City: Toledo
This is the only Marina I've ever seen that offers 200amp service. I wonder how thick the shore power cord for that is.

devorenm is offline   Reply With Quote