Old 06-30-2016, 12:53 AM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
At 10 years about 15'... at 25 years about 30'... 45 yrs 60'... 67 yrs 110'... 79.5 yrs 150'... 89 yrs any size
I like the precision of your numbers with the 79.5.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:26 AM   #22

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I fully encourage this type of restriction. Helicopters in my area like to buzz popular and crowded anchorages. Plus we're near an air national guard base and a number of CG stations all fairly close. They are very loud, particularly when flown low.

Why should 100+ boaters paying to stay in the same marina be inconvenienced because one lazy, rich %$#@Q can't take a town car to/from the yacht.

Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:11 AM   #23
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
B-in that size range, "boating" as almost all of us know and love is not a part of the equation. The equation is: "I am worth X and every other person I know worth X has one of those, therefore I must also have one. If I really have an ego, I must have two of them." Same goes for the three houses, nine cars, two aircraft, and the third wife, generally under age 30 (but with a strong pre-nup in place!).
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:30 AM   #24
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
That brings up an interesting question to me. At what size does it stop feeling like boating?
I would say when the boat being discussed is 50% bigger than the boat you own currently.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:39 AM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
B-in that size range, "boating" as almost all of us know and love is not a part of the equation. The equation is: "I am worth X and every other person I know worth X has one of those, therefore I must also have one. If I really have an ego, I must have two of them." Same goes for the three houses, nine cars, two aircraft, and the third wife, generally under age 30 (but with a strong pre-nup in place!).
A friend of mine bought a 120' yacht a few years ago, moving up from his small 60 ish boat. To be honest, I am not sure why he made the change. He is an experienced skipper, starting in sail then moving to power. He enjoys running his boats and does it well. He has lots of money, but I've never felt that he had a need to flaunt it.

I have never been on it but I hear it is really nice, about 20 years old and in great shape. Because of its size he has to keep it farther away from his home or where he liked to keep his prior boat in the summer (Roche Harbor) and he has to have a permanent crew to captain and maintain it. One of the changes there is that you always have "employees" around. Not something I would want. Anyway, his mother made a comment once that while he loves the boat, takes friends, family, business associates out in it, and does a fair amount of cruising, that he may miss having a boat that he can run himself.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 06-30-2016, 12:32 PM   #26
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Perfect!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:26 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I would say when the boat being discussed is 50% bigger than the boat you own currently.
Right. Attessa IV is 332'. Your calculator must be broken.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:38 PM   #28
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
What about the really important stuff about Altessa? Single or twins? What kind of anchor?

And is it too big to dock at Hopcar's place for Cuban coffee?
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:45 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
It can be but often it's about the use of it. There are people who actually put such boats to use. I have an acquaintance who has a 164' boat and is currently on a circumnavigation. He flew home briefly and was extremely anxious to get back to his boat. Now, this is a real boater. Founded one major boat company, owned another couple later in life and he was never just an owner, always a boater. In his 80's no.

We don't have anything 332' but we are all about using boats. Now, there were those trying hard to convince us of what we needed much larger and we had to just ignore them. There are those who think nothing is any good if it's not Dutch. Others who think it must be steel, you can't cross oceans in anything else.

We've never been aboard a 164' boat. Oh he tried to get us on one and we were scared, knowing what a salesman he could be. However, we've found that where it stops feeling like a boat varies widely between boats. To us one of the keys is speed. A 100' boat at 10-12 knots just doesn't do it. On the other hand a 112' boat that will plane and cruise at 20 knots feels much different. It responds to you.

Still for just fun 30-50' sport boats cruising at 35 knots or center consoles have the feel best. We've done very well resisting a really fast boat.

He claims his 164' feels like a boat and it cruises at 20 knots. It may. i have no idea.

Even saying "feels like a boat", that means something different to all of us.

Most of the very large boats do some chartering. Often they travel with the owner's family but not the owner. That's where all the retired boat owners here have a huge advantage over the megayacht owner who owns a huge business and runs it. We have the time to use our boats. He doesn't.

Have a just retired acquaintance who traded down from a 199' Yacht he used a couple of times a year and never left New England to a 130' boat which he uses regularly and the newfound excitement of him, his wife, his kids and his grandkids is amazing. They can also not get to a lot of places they couldn't before and 80% of the time they're on the bridge.

He did take advantage of the type buyer you mentioned. There was someone at the marina who had always coveted his boat, bought it instantly, and has never stopped talking about now having the bigger boat. He seldom uses it. Mainly at it's home marina for entertaining.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:48 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
What about the really important stuff about Altessa? Single or twins? What kind of anchor?

And is it too big to dock at Hopcar's place for Cuban coffee?
332' and draft is 15.8'. Speed is 11 knots max, 9.2 knots cruise. Although another site shows 18 and 25 knots. I think that's more right.

2 Wartsila (12V 32E) 6,595hp diesel engines. Sleeps 18 in 10 cabins. Crew of 26. He did save money doing a rebuild. Guess there's a limit even if worth $6 billion.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:29 PM   #31
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
I'm sure it is, the owner has two more yachts and a small air force to ferry him around. The Eurocopter aboard that yacht is one of two that take him to the 737.
What income disparity
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:37 PM   #32
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
[QUOTE=THD;456541]What about the really important stuff about Altessa? Single or twins? What kind of anchor?

I would think twins...blond, identical and around 27 years old. Preferably female and human unless, of course as in some parts of the world, being a shortage of sets of 72, then goats will just have to do. as for the anchor,,.. .?? Just do not know.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:51 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Right. Attessa IV is 332'. Your calculator must be broken.
I meant in general terms and not you specifically. Say your own boat is a 14 foot sailing dinghy. A 21 sailboat won't feel like a boat (at least it didn't for me when we did that). I have a 43' boat right now (45' LOA). To me, a 65' boat doesn't feel like a boat (at least the one I was one). However, I have been on 50+ foot boats that still feels like a boat.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 06-30-2016, 05:38 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I meant in general terms and not you specifically. Say your own boat is a 14 foot sailing dinghy. A 21 sailboat won't feel like a boat (at least it didn't for me when we did that). I have a 43' boat right now (45' LOA). To me, a 65' boat doesn't feel like a boat (at least the one I was one). However, I have been on 50+ foot boats that still feels like a boat.
Ok, just being sure their is no illusion we have a 221' boat. Actually quite glad boats in that size range don't appeal to us.

I can quite imagine some on the lake with 25' runabouts wouldn't think your boat felt boat like. Oh, if they only knew.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:39 PM   #35
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Good segue for this thread, at this point [should be interesting]:

Gals and guys - Please define what you believe is the "FEEL of a boat"?
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:28 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:

Wifey B: The water going by, the wind in your face, feeling it respond when you're at the helm, navigating, just enjoying the experience. Feeling the movement. If the boat's moving and I don't sense it, I feel like I've lost something. I mean sense it even when I'm inside and not seeing it. That feel. If I feel like I'm on land, then I'm not feeling the boat. When you have to think a little of the best speed for the waves and best way to hit them. I wouldn't want the ocean to be glassy smooth all the time. I like being able to play with the throttles too, feel different speeds. Now this might sound silly too, but checking the conditions, recognizing the difference in different sea conditions, knowing 6' will be different than 4' and that 10' won't be enjoyable unless a very very very long period. Feeling how different waves affect you. Not being oblivious to them.

My one time on a boat I didn't feel it some of the time. 113' Burger. Steel hull, full displacement, expedition boat. Cruise 12 knots. Sometimes I just thought to myself in very calm water, "are we moving?" Probably that says a lot positive about the boat. The quality of the boat, the interior, wood work, counters, galley, were all A+. That's sort of how I don't think I'd enjoy a 200' boat as it would have that feel probably.

I believe part of us too is that where many of you came from sailboats we came from 55 knots on the lake, so 20 knots has been an adjustment. I'm ok with some 12 knots, especially at night. But then I want to open it up to more. Please understand I'm not putting down any of your boats or your enjoyment of going slower. I admire the boats and you guys. Just for me today, at this point in my life, it's not for me. On the other hand, I think you get a lot more the feel of boating at 7 knots in a 40' boat than you do at 12 knots in a 113' foot boat. It's the proportion. I think most of the boats on here would feel like boating to me, just some would leave me wanting faster boating. I can't imagine a 300' boat feeling like boating at any speed.

When it's not moving, just looking out around you, seeing so much beauty, appreciating nature, and feeling so thankful. On the bridge under the moon and stars, I know I'm on a boat. And the breeze and even waves rocking you a little. Perfect stillness is nice sometimes but wouldn't want it all the time.

Oh and another not like a boat-when it takes more time docking and undocking, all the lines and cables, everything just right, than you spend boating.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:18 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:

I still haven't figured that out with my power boat. For me the feel of a boat is the pressure on the rudder transfered to the helm. I miss that with the hydraulic steering.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-02-2016, 02:45 AM   #38
Veteran Member

City: BC
Interesting reading.
From a psychological standpoint its interesting to read the comments.
Some just have a love for boats, its the common connection of water.
Others don't want to own a 300 foot yacht but find it interesting to see....thats me to.
Some are jealous so slam it.
Others are just enjoying a nice conversation.
Some hate helicopters, and thats their choice.
Me I love boats....12 feet or 412 feet....i like boats.
5 knots or 50 knots an hour I love boats.
I'm sure happy with my tiny 33 footer.
Have had bigger and smaller.
Would love about a 120 footer with a helipad, and high speed tender for water skiing and running out to fish.
Am i buying 120 feet of yacht? No i am not.....but I get why people have them. I'm sure its still an enjoyable boat...to me boats float and can be steered.
I bet if some of you had a heli on board to go explore when in new spots, or fly out and back, or deliver family and friends you would like it.
I get why people go places in helicopters.
If your ever around Oak bay Victoria you will see some helicopters going to yachts....but not too many.
But go to Coal harbor by Vancouver and its just a common occurance.
So much air traffic in coal harbor they have their own tower on top of a sky scraper to direct it all.. ...its fascinating and very well organized considering the huge amount of float planes and helicopters as well as boats.
For those knocking it....ever think that possibly you are knocking the idea is because you haven't tried it?

Be really really honest with yourself and maybe its a bit of jealousy because you can't just fly to a ski village and back to your yacht at will.
Or boat up to an area, drop anchor and fire up the helo and go sight seeing.
Because it seems a very odd thing to be hating on......
Hate wars, hate drunk drivers, hate people who steal cars, but hating a helicopter going to a boat seems a strange thing to get upset over.

If any of you possibly believe in God....he is the one who can judge us.
And God even says its a sin to be jealous.
Seems some do both on here....they judge and are jealous.....its the minority of the people but some do.
I got judged even as a bad father.
I asked my daughter about the day in question.
She barely remembered it but thanked me for caring enough to push her a little.
She is now 22 and people who meet her think she turned out damn fine.
So judge me all you like.
I'm sure as hell not scared to answer to God the day I die for how I raised her.
I'm very far from perfect, but sure not horrible either.
I'm also genuinely happy for those who are successful and can afford a big yacht and helicopters etc.
To be jealous of others or judge others is a reflection not so much on them. ....as it is of the person who is jealous or judgemental.
I'm regretful occasionally for things i wish i had done and didn't.
But no regrets on things that i have done.

And as to the comment on how a helicopter is so dangerous to use to fly to a yacht.....i would personally be a lot more worried about a car ride than the helicopter ride.....
Hurrying Nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:59 AM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrying Nowhere View Post

And as to the comment on how a helicopter is so dangerous to use to fly to a yacht.....i would personally be a lot more worried about a car ride than the helicopter ride.....
It may not be logical at all, and perhaps lack of experience, but helicopters, especially small ones like those, scare me, and even more so landing and taking off on a very small place on a boat. I fully understand they're use and see why for some they are absolutely great to have. If I had the need then I'm sure I'd learn enough to get over the anxiety they give me today.

I'm sure it's no different than the fear non-boaters have of boating. I've only been on a helicopter twice in my life and once was in NY landing at the Manhattan Heliport and the other was landing on top of an office building. Both times I took off from small airports and that part wasn't scary at all. I think the rattle and noise just makes them feel less safe.

I've also seen one have to approach a boat multiple times before finally setting down and that didn't add to my confidence.

I once saw one used to dry a tennis court and with the small area it had to work in, I wasn't all that comfortable watching.

Reality is we're all more fearful of the unknown and that we lack experience with.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #40

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrying Nowhere View Post
If any of you possibly believe in God....
I believe that people have an established belief system, and they want to hear about mine about as much as I want to hear about theirs. I try not to hijack threads with such discussions.

The topic is helicoptors.

Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote