Old 01-23-2015, 01:37 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Actually Sea Ray is reopening the Merritt Island facility due to the success of the L Class.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:39 PM   #22
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Actually Sea Ray is reopening the Merritt Island facility due to the success of the L Class.
That's great, when is this going to happen? I feel for boat building employees, it must be difficult to raise a family in such a tenuous transient occupation. Have to live in a 5th Wheel I recon. They certainly get whipsawed about.

pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:43 PM   #23
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
The 5th wheels not so bad but the trip back and forth from Mexico......................
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:31 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothouse king View Post
That's great, when is this going to happen? I feel for boat building employees, it must be difficult to raise a family in such a tenuous transient occupation. Have to live in a 5th Wheel I recon. They certainly get whipsawed about.
As of January 7, here's the projection: The expanded production will commence in the summer of 2015. Hiring will begin immediately, and the company expects to create up to 100 new jobs over the next 12 months.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:10 AM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Palm Coast, Florida
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler
Sea Ray consolidated the building of all larger vessels in Palm Coast, Florida. On any given day there are at least 10 large boats in the water being tested or prepared for delivery. The yard is now in the e process of expanding again and employees over 700 people. The big difference is that a lot of those people are "contractors".
Flatsflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:56 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatsflyer View Post
Sea Ray consolidated the building of all larger vessels in Palm Coast, Florida. On any given day there are at least 10 large boats in the water being tested or prepared for delivery. The yard is now in the e process of expanding again and employees over 700 people. The big difference is that a lot of those people are "contractors".
Yes they did. But they're now in the process of reopening the Merritt Island facility. All they kept there after the consolidation you mention was research and development. The L Class demand is what is pushing them to do that. I don't know where that stands at the moment. The Merritt Island location will not employee more than about 100 people.

And a matter of trivia for those who might not know. The origin of the name, Sea Ray. Well, the founder was Cornelius Nathaniel Ray III, who went by Connie, so he was C. N. Ray and hence C. to Sea and Sea Ray. In 1986 Brunswick bought Sea Ray for $350 million and Bayliner for $425 million. That's when they became the largest boat producer and that was the beginning of the end for OMC. Quick death of OMC I/O's and slower death of the company as a whole.