Did you try backing into the slip?

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #22
Per
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Get the big ball fender and if you can, secure it to the dock, I'd guess there is a cleat back there. Helps fen d the boat off when you are coming and going, moreso than a fender swinging at the end of a line attached to the boat.
nope, the main problem is the wood and SS rails hitting the concrete pillar, see the photo. i would not fit in the slip if i put large ball fender at the dock level as i only have 10 inches or so on each side..

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
My rubrails are well above the dock here. Use five fenders on each side to separate dock from hull.

nice pics but you need to look at my original post, i dont have any problem with the dock itself, just the concrete pillar where you have a good set of rubrails to prevent, mine do not protrude out far enough..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Did you try backing into the slip?
well, that would be the easy way out and it would ruin my view from my preferred hanging out spot on the stern deck/cockpit.

Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #23
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
nope, the main problem is the wood and SS rails hitting the concrete pillar, see the photo. i would not fit in the slip if i put large ball fender at the dock level as i only have 10 inches or so on each side..
Couldn't see the other side of you boat from the photo; that's tight! Rare to have a finger pier on each side. A concrete piling will chew up a rub rail of any composition eventually. Have you talked with the marina about attaching a strip fender to the pole? Given how narrow those piers are, isn't it a problem for others too? There are a variety of materials designed to attach (usually via bolting) to concrete pilings for this purpose.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #24
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Per, your slip is too narrow.

I use the round fenders near the stern and bow where the beam is less. Also use a larger-diameter cylindrical fender forward of the widest beam. The goal is to have the fenders have an equal "beam" although the most forward round fenders aren't large enough to accomplish this totally.

You might want to consider fastening fenders along the dock.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #25
Scraping Paint

City: -
I don't think much of your marina's finger design in this case but that's not something you can do anything about. So what about securing a really big ball fender to the end of your finger. I mean one large enough to hold your hull clear of the piling with space to spare. There are really big ones that are used on commercial fishing boats, particularly the buy-boats like the Caleb Haley below that take fishing boats alongside, often in roughish water, to take aboard the fish and transport them to the processors.

While I'm sure new ones are expensive, we have bought all our fenders over the years, including some pretty big ones for rafting and getting of a dock in an adverse wind, from marine consignment stores. I don't know that we've ever paid more then $30-$40 for a Taylor or Poly fender in great shape, even our big ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Caleb Haley.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	16396  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #26
Per
Guru

thanks Marin, but if i attached those fenders to the finger then i would not be able to fit in there, i only have around 20 inches total. But what might work would be to have a fender like that on the boat and just hang it very high so it protects the ss and wooden rails from getting any where near the pillar. I would only hang it out when coming in, then stove it after.
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #27
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Per,

Your problem is not you or your skills but I see that you've moved to a LESS desirable slip. It's not built/designed correctly. The evil piling is NOT in the center of the float as it should be. I'd tell the marina to find you a proper slip.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #28
Scraping Paint

City: -
I think Eric has your ultimate solution, but with regards to hanging a big ball fender on your boat to hold it off the finger be aware that with any kind of pressure on them fenders can roll themselves along the side of the boat and right up out of the space between the hull and the finger at which point your protection is gone.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote