Old 01-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #1
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
NC Marina DESTROYED by fire!

WOW! WRAL just showed a helicopter shot of the damage and it's nothing short of MASSIVE! 25 boats in covered slips are gone. 3 people injured. Fuel slick in Pamlico river.
<a href="http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/8897004/">
http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/8897004/</a>

Tom-

*EDIT* Fxed link

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Friday 7th of January 2011 11:51:04 AM
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
Guru

RE: NC Marina DESTROYED by fire!

Sorry about the weird link, y'all, but they have pics there now... WOW! Seven live aboards displaced!
Old 01-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c

ugh that is so scary.* wow.* I'm glad no one was killed.
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Ugly. That is the downside of a covered marina, one boat goes the rest of them probably will.

Seattle had a very large version of that a few years ago.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
Scraping Paint

City: -

Has there been any determination of the cause yet? None was mentioned in the article.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40

it was probably caused by incomplete combustion of old low sulfur diesel fuel!!!!!!
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:36 PM   #7
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Someone set the microwave for 30 minutes to make popcorn and then walked away.*<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" class="genmed"><tbody><tr><td width="100"></td><td width="40"></td></tr></tbody></table>
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #8
Doc
Guru

Those of you with Texas connections may remember the New Years Eve back in the 80's (can't remember the year) when Watergate Marina's covered shed went up in flames. As in this NC case, one witness recalled that once the fire got into the rafters it was like a firestorm.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:12 PM   #9
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Doc wrote:*As in this NC case, one witness recalled that once the fire got into the rafters it was like a firestorm.
I am surprised that building codes or underwriters don't require deluge systems to be installed in covered moorings.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:41 PM   #10
Guru

If I had to guess, I'd say an unsafe space heater on one of the live-aboard boats.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:54 PM   #11
Guru

City: AR

"Marina Destroyed By Fire" is a gripping headline, but not quite accurate. Fire destroyed about 100' of one pier and damaged/totaled approx. 25 boats. A sailboat owner on another forum I'm on keeps his boat at that marina...the fire was on the dock across the fairway from his slip. His boat was not damaged.

I'd bet real money that it was started by an electrical problem...according to BOAT/US, 55% of boat fires are:

AC & DC wiring / appliance - 55%
DC Shorts / Wiring - 30%
DC engine voltage regulator 12%
AC appliance / heater - 4%
Shore power - 4%
AC wiring / panel - 2%
DC battery charger - 2%
AC power surge - 1%

Engines are responsible for another 24%...surprisingly, fuel only accounts for 8% and stoves <1%.

I'm guessing that docks don't have deluge systems because water and electrical wiring aren't the best combination until/unless power to the dock is turned off.

-- Edited by HeadMistress on Friday 7th of January 2011 04:57:35 PM
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #12
Guru

Confirmed... WRAL said that authorities will only say the fire was "electrical".
Old 01-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #13
Scraping Paint

Quote:
HeadMistress wrote:I'm guessing that docks don't have deluge systems because water and electrical wiring aren't the best combination until/unless power to the dock is turned off.
Oh, yeah ... water is harder on the wiring than fire.*
Old 01-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #14
Scraping Paint

Quote:
HeadMistress wrote:

I'd bet real money that it was started by an electrical problem...according to BOAT/US, 55% of boat fires are:

AC & DC wiring / appliance - 55%
Peggy---

Can you further define AC & DC wiring/appliance?* What are some examples?* Be nice to know what to look out for on our own boats.

Thanks,

Old 01-07-2011, 05:55 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Marin wrote:
Peggy---

Can you further define AC & DC wiring/appliance?* What are some examples?* Be nice to know what to look out for on our own boats.

Thanks,

Marin!* Surely you aren't suggesting that you don't know what AC wiring is?* That you don't knpw what DC wiring is?* Or what an electrical appliance is?

Or maybe it's just that if it ain't about plumbing, I couldn't know anything about it???

And btw, Rick...** No...water isn't harder on wiring than fire, but* a live wire in water can certainly light YOUR fire...and wires will come loose beforet they burn.

-- Edited by HeadMistress on Friday 7th of January 2011 08:03:53 PM
Old 01-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #16
Scraping Paint

Quote:
HeadMistress wrote:Marin!* You can't be seriously suggesting that you don't know what AC wiring is?* That you don't knpw what DC wiring is?* Or what an electrical appliance is?
No, bad wording on my part, sorry.* What I was asking for were some examples of how DC or AC wiring or appliances can cause fires.* Short circuits are specifically*called out further down the list you posted.* From this I assumed that wiring itself, and appliances themselves, have been sources of fires independent of short circuits.* So I was asking if you knew of any examples of how wiring or applicances have caused fires in the past.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #17
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Quote:
Mike wrote:

The link below will take you to a post at the T&T list from a boat owner at the marina, present during the fire.

Ron Rodgers, the author, is a retired US Army Special Forces soldier who lives aboard his boat at the marina. I think his boat is a Willard, but I'm not sure. "George" is his dog.

Here is the link.

Mike
Merritt Island, FL.
Dang! That is a heck of an account of what happened- can't imagine going through that! *Very glad to hear no one lost life or limb or serious injury...terrible to think of those that lost their home and possessions.
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #18
Guru

Welll...for starters, overloaded circuits--AC and DC...improper fusing...using Romex instead of stranded wire...wire nuts...frayed wiring....and my personal favorite, "I can't see any reason to pay $12.95 for that switch just because it says "marine" on the label when I can buy the same switch without the "marine" label at Home Depot for $6."

As for appliances...anything from a clothes dryer to a stove to a microwave to a space heater to a forgotten curling iron.

And I just realized that my first entry didn't retain its formatting....everything in the list below "AC & DC wiring / appliance - 55%"* is the breakdown that adds up to 55%.

Btw...I'm delighted to tell you that I've been invited to give seminars at the Puget Souhd Grand Banks rendezvous at Roche Harbor again this year.* And REALLY looking forward to it!!

"by HeadMistress on Friday 7th of January 2011 08:21:04 PM

-- Edited by HeadMistress on Friday 7th of January 2011 08:25:06 PM
Old 01-07-2011, 08:34 PM   #19
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

I talked with the marina owner Mark McCotter tonight, a really nice fellow I knew from having work done there years ago, and he said they lost most of their largest and most unique boats. He mentioned in particular a Hershof and a pristine Elco. Sad that some of these just can't be replaced. Fantastic the human injuries were so minor. I'm in a covered slip and if it went up I'd only have one choice, swim!
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:59 AM   #20
Scraping Paint

Quote:
HeadMistress wrote:No...water isn't harder on wiring than fire, but* a live wire in water can certainly light YOUR fire...and wires will come loose beforet they burn.
You might want to rethink that idea ... a deluge system knocks down the fire before any wiring (or anything else) can be damaged, that is the reason they exist.

If the fire is caused by a dockside electrical issue then the point is moot, the fault will either trip the protective devices or the responders will. In any event, the fire is a far greater threat than electrical sources.

If there was more risk from electricity than fire, office buildings, apartments, stores, and ships would have breakers in the overheads rather than sprinklers or deluge nozzles.

Stick to heads.