Moorings in the Keys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnP

Guru
Vessel Name
V E N T U R E
Vessel Make
1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
Hi, Planning to head to the Florida Keys mid to late Feb 2017----What are the chances of getting a mooring in Key West for one month at that time of year?

JohnP

Attachments

• 1452721646_37718.jpg
    1452721646_37718.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 658
There are 149 moorings in that field, chances are pretty good that there will be a vacancy or two. That body of water is protected on all sides except the North, and the winds only come out of the North immediately after a cold front passage. They then start to clock pretty quick to the NE after that.

You could also give them a call and get it from the horses mouth, I'm sure they have a handle on occupancy. Worst case when you get down that way contact them and if you have to delay a day or so hang at Newfound Harbor or Boot Key to the east or even continue West to the Lakes until something opens up. There are also marina's to hang at for a day or two

:socool:

so does one need a "sojourner's" permit to stay there throughout a year if boat not florida registered?

Anyone have a familiarity for that process?

Thanks!

so does one need a "sojourner's" permit to stay there throughout a year if boat not florida registered?

Anyone have a familiarity for that process?

Thanks!

What's a "sojourner's" permit? Never heard of it.

However, according to FL law, no. Use to be if you stayed more than 6 mos you needed to register, but last time I checked, they are now 3 months, but might want to verify. I feel the law is brutal and unfair. If every state did that, it would make cruising a PITA and expensive. What gets you is the tax at 6%.... expensive.

Here's a link to good information on the "Sojourner's Permit"

http://cruisersnet.net/florida-sojourners-permit-reprise/

Boats visiting from other states fall into multiple categories. If registered in another state then they can stay in FL for 90 days without a permit and with a Sojourner's permit up to 11 months without registering. During these periods a non-resident will not have any sales tax or other issues.

If not registered in another state, there is a temporary permit available. This is primarily for documented vessels from states not requiring registration. Florida requires all vessels to be registered somewhere. This temporary permit is only $50.

As to Seavee's comments, nearly every state has similar rules and most do not have a Sojourner's permit. Most require state registration after either 60 or 90 days. As to Sales or Use tax, it's common to require payment if not previously paid in another state. Every state differs on the exact policy. Actually Florida has picked up quite a few additional registrations since limiting sales tax on a boat to $18,000. For someone living in FL, registering offshore no longer carries the advantage it once did.

What's a "sojourner's" permit? Never heard of it.

However, according to FL law, no. Use to be if you stayed more than 6 mos you needed to register, but last time I checked, they are now 3 months, but might want to verify. I feel the law is brutal and unfair. If every state did that, it would make cruising a PITA and expensive. What gets you is the tax at 6%.... expensive.

In twenty years, cruisers heading south will probably just go around Florida like you do Haiti now. You know it's only going to keep getting worse.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom