Old 06-21-2016, 07:56 AM   #21
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
There are some nice places in the northeast where anchoring is just not an option due to bottom makeup or the previously mentioned "all filled up with moorings" issue, or the usable anchoring spots already taken by either transient or semi-permanent users.

But it all works out one way or the other, you move on to the next spot which is typically not far away. If anxiously paranoid, you plan ahead , call the harbormaster and get a transient mooring reserved if available. Our heavy preference regardless of location was to anchor or moor every night, and our boat (Hatteras 56MY) was too big for a lot of moorings, yet we blissfully managed to do the whole eastern US to our liking a few times.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:38 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Eastern Caribbean warning. Do not trust a mooring ball in an English speaking island. A few are good and checked regularly.You would need local knowledge to determine this. Most are serviced only when the line breaks. Again and again we hear of boats set adrift by broken mooring lines.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:25 AM   #23
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
While I totally respect the legalities of state or town permitted moorings that are registered with the authorities and inspected regularly, I have little respect for the "destination" moorings found in Maine.

We have cruised Merchants Row for example, a group of pristine islands, mostly uninhabited with nice coves between them. Right in the middle of the cove, you sometimes find a destination mooring. Someone dropped it there with no permit. And it blocks the anchorage.

Do these moorings have the same rights as permitted ones? I think they have the same status as a sunken and abandoned boat.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:22 AM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post

Do these moorings have the same rights as permitted ones? I think they have the same status as a sunken and abandoned boat.

David
Don't be too quick to assume you know the status of a sunken and abandoned boat. It does vary by jurisdiction.

To me it's simple. I know the mooring isn't mine. Unless someone gives me permission to use it, I have no right and would only do so in an emergency or some sort. I just do not consider myself having the right to use others' moorings without permission.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:50 AM   #25
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
It's been a few years since I've anchored there but one of my favourite stops is Beaufort NC. The anchorage in front of town had been pretty well taken up with private moorings by locals who would come out in a dink to charge you for using their mooring. At that time these were installed without town/USCG/state permission, just a few locals trying to make a buck with a couple of scrap V-8's welded together, a chain and a float. Now it's not my country and I ralize as a guest, I have no say in the matter but it does not seem right that someone can usurp public waterways for private gain. Can anyone tell me if this is still going on at Beaufort as I'll soon be heading that way again.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:48 AM   #26
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
While I totally respect the legalities of state or town permitted moorings that are registered with the authorities and inspected regularly, I have little respect for the "destination" moorings found in Maine.

We have cruised Merchants Row for example, a group of pristine islands, mostly uninhabited with nice coves between them. Right in the middle of the cove, you sometimes find a destination mooring. Someone dropped it there with no permit. And it blocks the anchorage.

David
If a car is parked in a no parking zone, that doesn't mean that you can borrow it, vandalize it, or steal it. Unfortunately, the same principle applies.

If those moorings are not permitted, and are interfering with the allowed use of the state waters, then file a complaint with the appropriate authorities. Of course it is unlikely they have the resources to do anything.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:22 PM   #27
Guru

City: Doha
It sounds like some of you have issues with people sinking private moorings.

I don't see the issue with sinking your own private mooring as long as it is in an area that allows such, does not interfere with navigation and isn't disrespectful of others' desires to anchor in the same area. Personally I would write the words "Private Mooring" on it and possibly my phone number as well.
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:25 PM   #28
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
It sounds like some of you have issues with people sinking private moorings.

I don't see the issue with sinking your own private mooring as long as it is in an area that allows such, does not interfere with navigation and isn't disrespectful of others' desires to anchor in the same area. Personally I would write the words "Private Mooring" on it and possibly my phone number as well.
I don't think they have a problem when it's in an area that allows such to legally be done.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:40 PM   #29
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I don't think they have a problem when it's in an area that allows such to legally be done.
Exactly....even pirate moorings are OK with me if they don't wind up blocking cruisers from enjoying a great spot.

As long as there is still reasonable access to an area, even long trem anchoring doesn't bother me if it isn't affecting others to an unreasonable point.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:21 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
I would'nt use a mooring bouy unless there was a sign (at least slightly weathered) saying anyone can use this mooring bouy anytime.
If it's not yours you've got no business latching onto it.
Sure glad I don't live on the east coast.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

If its not yours or a friends who gave you permission leave it alone.

What next...well i didn't see anyone home so i just borrowed their house for a day or 2 while they were away.....
Surprised to that instead of wondering, why you guys don't just drop your anchor and use that?

And if your anchor system is broken then fix it....
Hurrying Nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:30 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Exactly....even pirate moorings are OK with me if they don't wind up blocking cruisers from enjoying a great spot.

As long as there is still reasonable access to an area, even long trem anchoring doesn't bother me if it isn't affecting others to an unreasonable point.
That is why the State of Washington has the rules they do. They also have identified one harbor in the state for special rules because of heavy usage and unauthorized buoys and impacts to both the environment and navigation. They also have been removing buoys that they consider to be a hazard and/or are in violation of the regulations. They just don't have enough resources to get to them all.

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/quartermaster-harbor

Dave
SPOT page
Old 06-21-2016, 02:29 PM   #32
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Funny how people in different parts of the country don't respect one set of customs and courtesies but I will bet if you go to their neck of the woods they expect you to live with theirs.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:56 PM   #33
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrying Nowhere View Post
I couldn't have said it better myself.

If its not yours or a friends who gave you permission leave it alone.

What next...well i didn't see anyone home so i just borrowed their house for a day or 2 while they were away.....
Surprised to that instead of wondering, why you guys don't just drop your anchor and use that?

And if your anchor system is broken then fix it....
Because in some small harbors, there are so many moorings there is no place to anchor comfortably (which requires much greater swing room). In the case of the single mooring in Merchants Row (and IIRC there are a few like there), you typically can anchor so your stern is just a few yards from the ball, as any boat attached to it will not swing into you, you will swing farther away from it. This is the practice one must also adopt in places where it isn't moorings you are dealing with, but crab and lobster pots.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:55 PM   #34
Guru

City: Doha
How many here keep their boats on moorings instead of marina slips?
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:34 PM   #35
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Have used mooring balls extensively in Trinidad, the French Eastern Caribbean, Marigot St. Lucia, Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, NYC and Annapolis. Our first choice is not usually a marina.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:38 PM   #36
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
The question was about Maine. There are virtually no public funds for any kind of recreational boater infrastructure. Public docks, where they exist, are for the local commercial fishermen, or at best, allow for brief pick-up and drop-off. Public moorings?!? No such state-wide program exists in Maine. A few towns do try to attract transients by offering a few moorings, some of which are even free. These are rare.

And you can't always just move along to the next anchorage. There may not be a suitable place for many miles along the rocky and exposed sections of coast.

Around towns and cities, moorings are typically all dedicated to boat owners who keep a boat on them for the season.

When a scarce public resource like a usable anchorage in a sparsely populated area is filled up by destination moorings that remain unused 95% of the time, it seems unfair to the rest of the citizens, who in theory have equal claim to these locations.

I don't mind the mooring owner using it occasionally. It's the whole idea of preventing everyone ELSE from using that location, ever.

One compromise that's developed into local custom in some areas is that destination moorings are free to use when the owner is not around. As was pointed out, this brings up problems like the suitability of the tackle for the "borrower." Not to mention the question of maintenance. And liability, should the thing let go. I don't like this arrangement, but sometimes you have to accept local customs.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:22 PM   #37
Guru

Sounds like a problem that should be addressed by the the State, but it is politically very difficult to deal with. In WA it wasn't addressed until about 10 years ago. Now it is nice. The state specifies exactly what type of mooring system needs to be used to protect the habitat and to avoid hazards. It doesn't cost the state much to administer, the only expense is the cost of removing non-compliant moorings.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 06-21-2016, 10:57 PM   #38
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
It's been a few years since I've anchored there but one of my favourite stops is Beaufort NC. The anchorage in front of town had been pretty well taken up with private moorings by locals who would come out in a dink to charge you for using their mooring. At that time these were installed without town/USCG/state permission, just a few locals trying to make a buck with a couple of scrap V-8's welded together, a chain and a float. Now it's not my country and I ralize as a guest, I have no say in the matter but it does not seem right that someone can usurp public waterways for private gain. Can anyone tell me if this is still going on at Beaufort as I'll soon be heading that way again.
Yes it is and none of them are legal.

If it were me, it might be interesting to confront people about these kind of moorings. If approached by a so-called owner, ask him what is the makeup of the ground tackle. If it is theirs, they should know. Give it a good tug and prove it will hold your boat. If it DOES hold our boat, he could return the next day and I would gladly pay him for a safe night on his mooring. If it does NOT hold, to please provide his business liability waiver so you can make a claim on his policy should damage be incurred from his mooring business not provide advertised holding.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:05 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Yes it is and none of them are legal.

If it were me, it might be interesting to confront people about these kind of moorings. If approached by a so-called owner, ask him what is the makeup of the ground tackle. If it is theirs, they should know. Give it a good tug and prove it will hold your boat. If it DOES hold our boat, he could return the next day and I would gladly pay him for a safe night on his mooring. If it does NOT hold, to please provide his business liability waiver so you can make a claim on his policy should damage be incurred from his mooring business not provide advertised holding.
In a state or locality where moorings are required to have permits, you could always ask that he provide the permit. Of course, in my state, it is expressly forbidden to have a private mooring that is used to provide revenue, ie you can't rent it out.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 06-22-2016, 06:00 AM   #40
FF
Guru

"I don't think they have a problem when it's in an area that allows such to legally be done."

Its the "legal " part that burns.

On long Island NY the town of Sag Harbor has slips and mooring balls to rent .
To make more cash they claim to control the "mooring field" of a nearby town.
The "field" is 2 or 3 miles long 1/4 mile wide and has 2 moorings.

Anchoring in "their" mooring field will bring a warning and a ticket if one overnights.

They know the hassle and legal costs to correct this illegality are far beyond what a cruiser will expend.

"How many here keep their boats on moorings instead of marina slips? "

In the NE slips are $4000 and up for a summer. As our 50 ft boat would be about $1000 a month we use a marina mooring.

It is $100 a month and allows parking , garbage water fill and dink beaching.

1/10 the price with the only "cost " a 5 min row works for us.

A solar panel keeps the batt up, and the propane reefer the beer cold and ice cream solid.

The Brits do the best job with moorings , they mark their home ball with the size of their vessel 6 tons, 24 tons , and expect folks to be rational.

That way when on vacation there are frequently balls available.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring