Might Head South Next Fall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmreim

Vessel Name
Boundless
Vessel Make
2013 North Pacific 43'
Bought our new (to us) boat in NC back in Sept. and cruised 400+ miles up the ICW to our home port in Oxford, MD. It was our 1st long boat trip - challenging (Hurricane Ian, lots of debris, a tow into Coinjock) but a wonderful learning experience and confidence builder.

Rather than hauling out next winter, we're considering a trek south like so many do each fall. Not really sure where to land for the winter but would love some advice. FL seems a bit too far but we're open to all suggestions (friends in Southport, Charleston and Hilton Head but none are boaters).

Guess we're looking for something reasonably priced (have I lost you already?) for about 4 months (mid-Nov. - mid-March) and then we'd head north back to the Chesapeake. Specific recommendations (towns, marinas, pros/cons would be most appreciated.
Thx -
Jim

It's only 35 degrees in Charleston today... will that be warm enough for you?

I see you're from WI - is your boat in SC?

BTW, we owned a 1999 Eagle 32 for a few years - really liked that boat (but not the steel fuel tank under the cockpit floor).

My recommendation is find the marina in the town or city. Don't pick an imaginary location. Simply, I can think of areas that are great, but some marinas that would make you hate being in the area. As an example off the St Johns river is the Ortega river. Have stayed at Ortega Landing now Port 32 Jacksonville. This is a very nice marina to spend the winter in. In the same area, there are other marinas that are lacking. What you think of the Ortega river area may be greatly influenced by the marina you spend the winter in.

IMO, Carolina Beach and Southport are very nice stops, but not far enough South. While Georgia is warmer, another 100 miles or so puts you in Florida.

If it were me, I'd pick 6 to 8 areas and watch the weather there over this winter. It was 37 degrees here in Fort Myers on Saturday morning. My point is by tracking the weather in 6 or 8 spots, you can identify whether the cold spell is the exception or the norm. It will be in the 70s tomorrow and maybe 80 on Thursday here in Fort Myers.

Ted

There are a lot of places to pick from along the ICW but it depends upon your desires. Charleston, SC has a lot to offer with history, restaurants and good stepping off point for some exploration. Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach, Georgetown, Beaufort all have something to do. But if it were me I would go the extra distance to FL and probably dip into the Bahamas. If you think of these as just a series of day trips linked together it is easier to tackle. If you have 3-4 months that is plenty of time. The only negative might be the "reasonable" cost marina issue. Since you would not be getting a monthly rate you likely would be paying for mostly high season. Also I have not cruised these areas for the past 10 years but the winter is high season for FL and the islands so slips might be limited? I think it comes down to whether you want an adventure or just a place to put the boat for the winter and having warmer weather for a few visits, long weekends, etc. If the latter I would just find the lowest cost marina that has the amenities you are seeking and also safe if you will be away. You mentioned non-boating friends in some of the possible destinations. That would be a big plus if they were willing to stop by the boat and check on things. Even if not a boater they would be able to handle a simple checklist for you.

Hadn’t thought about local friends checking on the boat when we are elsewhere - great idea.

Jim, we are launching in Cape Canaveral in early January and will head slowly north into Georgia by April. Just slow cruising and enjoying the sights.

Guess we're looking for something reasonably priced (have I lost you already?) for about 4 months (mid-Nov. - mid-March) and then we'd head north back to the Chesapeake. Specific recommendations (towns, marinas, pros/cons would be most appreciated.

We spent one winter on the boat in Charleston (Ashley), and later a winter on the boat in Jacksonville (Ortega Landing, now Port 32 I guess).

Charleston was warmer ENOUGH to make it pleasant. Decent marina. Outstanding town. JAX was warmer enough to use the (heated) pool. Outstanding marina. Nice town, more spread out, not much on the waterfront.

We're in planning stages now to go south again for about 3 months next winter, possibly either Charleston, Hilton Head, or Savannah. There are other places with great marinas and not much town... or great towns with so-so marinas... so it's sort of a balancing act. Another option we like is St. Augustine, and possibly Camachee Cove Marina, but it's a whole bunch farther for not so much higher temps.

Part of the attraction for me is the trip itself, and various stops along the way down and then back up.

-Chris

Last edited:
I have the same idea , it has to be better in florida !

I left my boat in Sanford FL for a couple of months a few years ago. Don't remember the marina name but it was cheap. Airport close by. I loved the trip on the St John's River. Old Florida, quiet and uncrowded.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom