Old 12-02-2019, 11:27 AM   #21
Guru

City: Whitby, Ontario
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Sadly for us, my first mate, nixed the trawler idea. I think we could have likely been happy in about a 40' Europa-style boat. I found a few seemingly nicely priced."

My suggestion would be to rent a canal boat for a week or so at Watertown NY on the Erie barge canal.

Great vacation , no navigation hassles , and tied up for free every night within walking distance to a few dining spots.

In many places you could walk ashore.

No danger or fears ,little effort it might prime her for coastal cruising.

https://midlakesnav.com/canalboat-rentals is one company , there are multiple others.

This is also a recommendation I make to folks BEFORE going to see any boats or to a boat show.

Once she is happy and comfortable in a boat with 8 ft beam , the Roomarans where the toilet echos is less attractive.

As cruising is a secondary goal a houseboat , not a trawler would perhaps be a better choice.Their shallow draft makes slip space easier and cheaper to locate.and the investment maybe 10% of a "trawler".

Good Luck!
I second this.
Show your wife our blog of Cruising The NY State Canals, dozens of photos including a few of the canal rental narrow boats. If these photos don't sell her nothing will.
Cruising New York State Canal System, Erie, Cayuga, Seneca

boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:30 PM   #22

City: Cape Canaveral
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: 1990 52' Californian
I lived aboard my 52 Californian for 5 years at Cocoa Village Marina. My office is located right next to the marina so it was a no brainer. There is a parking garage for marina tenants and a fabulous shower and laundry facility. The staff is great. Plus I am next door and can offer plenty of advice on mechanics, etc. I recently moved my Californian to a friend's house so I can buy a larger boat. 60' is the limit at CVM unless you are just passing by for the night. We sometimes have 125' megayachts spending the night. Cocoa Village is right across the street with great restaurants. Orlando International Airport is only 45 miles away on it is almost all highway. I pull out of my parking lot and can be parked at OIA within 40 minutes. Beach is close. Orlando attractions are close. If you want to spend more keep heading south. Harbor town would me another good place to stop but it is not as convenient to restaurants and doesn't have a parking garage. CVM is right off the ICW. Contact me if you want more info. Steve M.

Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:43 PM   #23

City: Sanford, FL
Hey Wetstuff. There are two other places to consider. (1) Palm Coast Marina on the ICW south of St. Augustine, I had a boat there for about 5 years -- less crowded than further south; and (2) have you considered Sanford on the St. Johns River? Way less expensive, covered slips and freshwater to minimize maintenance. When you're ready to go cruising there's plenty to see or go all the way downriver to Jacksonville and out. I have a 52' Vista in Sanford that's for sale: Fully enclosed aft deck (so two large salons, queen centerline aft, vee up front and a third cabin with two bunks) and 3208s with low hours for sale in one of those hard-to-get covered slips. Price is right; I bought another boat in Panama and gearing up to move. Good luck in your hunt!
thecurioustraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:41 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Vessel Name: Sanderling
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
I think someone has mentioned Manatee Cove Marina at Patrick AFB if you're retired military or a civilian contractor working at the base. It's a great newly refurbished marina, but you'd need a car to get anywhere.

Otherwise, the middle section of the east coast of Florida is much less crowded than the west coast of Florida (someone has indicated otherwise).
Blog: http://mvsanderling.net/Blog
BobMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:52 PM   #25
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
A general observation. IF you find a "good" slip for your boat, "for sale", buy it.
The price will not go down.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:26 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Camden, Maine
Vessel Name: Willie Dawes
Vessel Model: Newburyport 37
Are the Ft Pierce city and municipal Marina's one and the same?

If so you might want to check the current discussion on the MTOA site as to being boarded at nitetime, threatened use of guns, etc. Doesn't sound like the safest place to me.
Hopefully a one time event...
Capt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:04 PM   #27
FF
Guru

"IF you find a "good" slip for your boat, "for sale", buy it."

For someone looking for a home afloat, a good slip would be someplace 30-45 min away from a great protected anchorage.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:11 PM   #28
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Dan View Post
Are the Ft Pierce city and municipal Marina's one and the same?

If so you might want to check the current discussion on the MTOA site as to being boarded at nitetime, threatened use of guns, etc. Doesn't sound like the safest place to me.
Hopefully a one time event...

Where is the discussion on the MTOA website? Do you need to be a member to read what you are talking about?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:45 PM   #29
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
You do need to be a member to access their forum.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:57 PM   #30
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I figured as much...wish people would add a bit more than just a point to another site that one has to be a member of...lots of times its news sites that one can't access.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote