Old 01-22-2015, 06:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Key West
Witch Cove Marina, Portsmouth, NH

Planning summer 2015 itinerary which includes visit to Portsmouth, NH. Does anyone have first-hand knowledge of Witch Cove Marina on Sagamore Creek? Other area marinas are expensive (Wentworth-by-the Sea) or too exposed to strong currents. All information appreciated.

George "Grumpy Old Men" Rosborough RF246
Uncleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:21 AM   #2

City: Cape Cod, MA or Fort Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Her Shine. Newburyport
Can you fit under a 12' bridge? Did you look for options on Active Captain?
Capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Witch Cove Marina

Hi,
Active Captain was my first resource. Reviews indicate in-town marinas are subject to fast currents and rolling wakes from passing boats. With antennas down, I can fit under 12' bridge. There are no reviews of Witch Cove Marina on Active Captain. It could be an acceptable marina - out of currents and reasonable bike ride to downtown Portsmouth. (Have folding bikes aboard). I am seeking first-hand information from anyone who has docked at this marina, or lives nearby. Are the docks in good shape, condition of showers. restrooms, etc.
Thanks for your response.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:37 AM   #4
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I'm familiar with the marina. The channel in can be nerve-racking, but it's well charted. Keep the charts out at the highest possible scale/zoom level. Do not stray from the channel. You will pass visible rocks that you could almost reach over the side and touch, and seagulls standing knee-deep on the mud flats just a few feet away.

The marina is mostly smaller boats. There's a good restaurant on site, and an ice cream store across the street. I'd call it a rather long bike ride into town, but maybe a pleasant dinghy ride.

I haven't been there lately, so I can't answer to the amenities. Based on the small-boat focus, the long ride in, and the distance from everything in town, it wouldn't be high on my list, but your priorities may be different. A better option might be to take a mooring at Pepperell Cove on the Kittery side, or check with one of the yacht clubs on the NH side, maybe they offer moorings. If you've got to dinghy to town anyway, you might as well be closer.

The current isn't as big a deal as you'd think. You just approach the mooring or dock into the current. If it's a finger slip like at Prescott Park or Badgers Island, you might want to wait for slack or get some help catching lines.

The docks along the Portsmouth stretch, on either side, are subject to frequent large wakes during the day. That may be a deal-breaker for some.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Witch Cove Marina

Thanks, CaptTom. Very helpful. Active Captain does note the challenging approach. I will continue to research possibilities. Also plan to visit Isle of Shoals. I have been there many times over the years for UU retreats. A true time warp.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:14 AM   #6
Guru

City: Miami
What's your draft and air draft. It's so shallow in spots we only went via dinghy and at mid tide or better. Better to take a mooring in the river and bike into portsmout from new castle or kittery. I used a friends mooring for a week in front of the Portsmouth yacht club. There were many available on the Kittery side much less current and boat wakes too.

Via iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 01-22-2015, 12:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Badger Island Marina may be a possibility. Is wake a problem here also? Appears to be a short walk over bridge into town, with good amenities.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:39 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleg44 View Post
Badger Island Marina may be a possibility. Is wake a problem here also? Appears to be a short walk over bridge into town, with good amenities.
Yes, I know them well. Very nice folks, nice facilities. Not known for low prices though. The walk over the new bridge is worth doing. Also, the current there can be a challenge. They do get wakes there during the day, maybe not quite as bad as across the river, but the boaters on their docks are famous for hollering at every passing boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleg44 View Post
Thanks, CaptTom. Very helpful. Active Captain does note the challenging approach. I will continue to research possibilities. Also plan to visit Isle of Shoals. I have been there many times over the years for UU retreats. A true time warp.
All the moorings at the Isles of Shoals are private. Club moorings (marked with various abbreviations ending in "YC") can be used as long as a member doesn't show up and kick you off. During the week it's more likely there will be something available. I'd advise against anchoring. I've seen moorings let go when the squalls come through there. It's pretty exposed to the NW, and can get rolly when the wind is coming from that way. Dogs are only allowed on Malaga Island. Visitors are allowed on Smuttynose and Star. For Star, use the dinghy dock next to the pier and sign in. For Smutty, land the dinghy on the rocky beach between it and Malaga. The other islands are private and not open to the public. Local fishermen who live there are armed and can be grumpy about trespassers on their land or moorings.

For those who haven't been, visit the hotel on Star and get some pointers about walking around the island. Grab an ice cream in the snack bar. Reserve your seat for a family-style meal in the dining room. Have an afternoon sprawl on the rocking chairs on the porch. Time warp indeed!
Old 04-24-2015, 08:36 PM   #9

Elliot, me. Great cove yacht club

Up river a bit and a fair ride to Portsmouth. Lower prices and good facilities though. I noticed they were advertising open space on craigs list. Cove off the main river so current should not be too bad in the marina area. Butch used to haul my boat and runs the marina. He says wakes are only an issue there slack tied as the current tends to rip them up. Descriptions of witch cove are correct. I have not been into the marina in 25 years but I suspect other than the restaurant that services are minimal. I keep my boat 7 miles up river at great bay marine and have boated the river for 30 years. If you end up on the Maine side and stay for any period of time be ware that the state of Maine will want their cut $$$$$.
Duvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:08 AM   #10
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: bout’ time
Vessel Model: Grady White 282 Sailfish
Hello Duvie,
I just bought a boat (1988 Defever 41, Southern Cross III) out of Great Bay marina. I'll be flying back out there May 5th for a couple of weeks to get familiar with the boat and possibly move it up to Portland. If your around maybe we can meet and have lunch. I have been up in your neck of the woods twice now and really enjoy the area.
Robert
Old 04-26-2015, 07:41 AM   #11
Guru

Duvie Mentioned Great Cove...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvie View Post
Up river a bit and a fair ride to Portsmouth. Lower prices and good facilities though. I noticed they were advertising open space on craigs list. Cove off the main river so current should not be too bad in the marina area. Butch used to haul my boat and runs the marina. He says wakes are only an issue there slack tied as the current tends to rip them up. Descriptions of witch cove are correct. I have not been into the marina in 25 years but I suspect other than the restaurant that services are minimal. I keep my boat 7 miles up river at great bay marine and have boated the river for 30 years. If you end up on the Maine side and stay for any period of time be ware that the state of Maine will want their cut $$$$$.
Space at Great Cove is filling up fast, only a few slips left for this season. Wakes are much less here then some of the Portsmouth and Kittery spots. There can be a bit of current in the outside slips at certain tides, but again, not quite as bad as many others on the river. Plus full-time dock hands in the summer and plenty of slip neighbors to help catch lines.

No restaurant, but full galley inside and grills under the tent outside. Nothing within walking distance, but plenty of restaurants (some deliver) and marine businesses (including a great chandler) within a 5-minute drive.

On-site services include an indoor boat house with marine railway, and a trailer to do short hauls to the yard where you can work on your own boat if you want. Other services, from buffing and waxing to soda blasting, canvas work, and electronics can be arranged from local providers who work out of their trucks.

Maine will try to hit you up for excise tax if you're registered out of state or documented, but it's pretty inexpensive. Many NH boat owners have found it's cheaper to register and pay the tax in ME than it is to just register in NH.

Plus it's 7 miles closer to the ocean than Great Bay.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:00 AM   #12
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: bout’ time
Vessel Model: Grady White 282 Sailfish
Tom, I'd sure like to meet you also if your around and not busy next week when I get up there. I try and stay near the Roundabout Diner at one of the hotels there.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:46 AM   #13

Welcome

Rogue wave, I share the same building with SouthercrossIII. I am at the opposite end of the building. I think you bought the boat through Annie. She is very knowledgable and strait forward. I splash May 8th and keep my boat right at the marina. I am at the boat shed several times a week so if you need a picture or a detail I probably can help you out. Leon
Duvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:49 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvie View Post
I think you bought the boat through Annie. She is very knowledgable and strait forward.
You must be referring to Annie Gray. Bought and sold our first boat through her and bought our current one through her.