Mark Bay, Protection Island, Nanaimo, BC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kthoennes

Guru
Vessel Name
Xanadu
Vessel Make
Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Here's a highly specific question for anybody who knows Mark Bay near Nanaimo. We anchored there last night and had dinner at the Dinghy Dock Pub. Very nice, we had a fun time, although the depth made me a little nervous, but it seemed to stay a consistent 20 feet or so. But here's the question. Anybody know the story on the big fuel spill boom and the debris in the water in the middle of that anchorage? Unfortunately we anchored downwind from that area and the smell was terrible. I Googled a number of ways and found nothing on a recent boat sinking or fuel spill. Anybody know? Just curious. Thanks.

There was a fishing boat, that sank. They were trying to refloat it last week. It had the house part way out of water when we hit the hay, was gone next morning, don't know if they got it up or it resank.

Ah, thanks. It was a really unpleasant smell of diesel and something like burnt cedar. Still a lot of debris in the water, including an oil-soaked kayak. If I had to guess it may still be on the bottom, but maybe the recovery just left a lot of fuel and flotsam behind. Thanks, I was curious about what happened.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom