Marinas ...Boat sizes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our marina charges based on the size of the slip with no more than 5' extended from the end. The large craft on the end of the slip can stick out farther as there is no one behind them.

On the other hand block island transient will charge you the full length of the boat even if you are tied to another at the same dock. Hence the reason we choose the anchorage.

"On the other hand block island transient will charge you the full length of the boat even if you are tied to another at the same dock. Hence the reason we choose the anchorage"

Agreed - but BI is just one of many that will charge the full LOA for transients in the LI sound area.

Part of the reason I purchased the boat I did was that moorage came with it, even though there is a long waiting list to get in. In many parts of coastal BC, many of the marinas are older, logical since the primary form of transportation in this area has, is, and will continue to be boating. So even if I bought a 40 boat, it would not be moored in an area I want it in.

And the same goes with marinas with over night areas. I can understand the rant of Woodland Hills guy who makes his money from boat footage, but lets even put that argument, however good aside. Here's another scenario. You've reserved a spot, but you get there only to discover there is no room along that 100 foot dock because other owners weren't honest with their length and have taken up more room than anticipated. I'm sure that's okay with you.

BTW, I’m not a marina owner, I just play one on the internet...... I was simply trying to put myself in the shoes of someone who was one and trying to understand their situation.

We are 60+' LOA. But our model number is 55'. So to every marina we visit we are 55'. I've never had a marina break out a tape measure or dispute the length- if that happens we will leave immediately.

I view it as we have 55' of living space. I'm not paying more for bow pulpit and swim platform. Especially when I see a 45' cat with triple the living space come in and pay less than us.

Hmm....

So if a dockmaster asks you what your LOA is do you;
a) Lie to them and tell them 55'
b) Don't answer the question and simply say the boat is a Whatever55, or
c) Be truthful and tell them 60' but also tell them that you are only going to pay for 55'?

You may think you are only paying for your living space. The marina owner however is basing his business model on renting out linear feet.

Right. Im taking up a 70' slip. By your reasoning I should be charged for 70'.

I guarantee if you come in to a slip that is 10' longer than your LOA and you are charged for the slip length rather than your vessel length you won't be happy.

A 40' boat in a 50' slip will be very upset if they are charged for 50'.

Here in the PNW every permanent slip I've seen, you pay for the slip length, not the boat length. The reasoning is obvious, they have an investment in a 50' slip, they need to get 50' of rental from it.

Many transient dockspace here is a side tie along a long dock. Again, the marina needs to know how many boats will fit along a given dock. They need LOA to plan and it is LOA that is being rented.

Good Day all,
I am confused.
We have been looking for a single engine trawler and are trying to figure
all of the potential costs.
We just returned home from south Carolina where we looked at a 35ft sundeck trawler. it says 35 right on it but when you measure it comes up to 42 feet long with the bow pulpit and swim platform.
He strongly stated that in 6,000 miles he had never been charged for over 35 feet at any marina.
Question?
I know he is trying to sell a boat but everything I have read a lot of marina's
charge a premium over 40 ft. Do marina's charge for LOA or waterline length?
as far as Marina's 35ft sounds a whole lot better than 42 feet plus for the pocketbook.
Is there any sort of a standard on boat lengths and marina fees for them? That is probably a dumb question.
Thanks in advance for your knowledgeable advice.
Gary

depends

my boat is different LWL and LOA and model # represents a third length

my boat is several feet shorter LWL

i have been charged each of the three rates depending on the marina

i like those that say show a copy of the documentation/registration because it has the shortest length

most do not double check, some do, and some will actually measure

as a transient i wouldnt worry too much but long-term some marinas are very specific and i've heard of people having to cut off their pulpits and swim platforms to fit into their slip

beam may also be a concern

gfr51,

Having fun yet? This will settle down after a bit...

In my experience, there is a difference between costs of transient slips (or end ties) and “home” slips. Usually the transient slips are more dependent on LOA, and will charge you actual LOA, whereas home slips charge by the size of the slip; 35’, 40’, 45’, etc. Should one hang out a couple of feet aft to keep folks from bumping heads with anchors and pulpits, it’s usually acceptable.

There aren’t too many home slips in our cruising area that care what length boat one has as long as it can fit into the slip without too much hanging over the ends. They usually charge by the length of the slip. Hence, my comment in post #20. Make sure your slip is wide enough to get in and out of easily.

Boat model numbers are interesting and it seems that a lot of boats have been made bigger by the magic of the marketing department! :blush:

I've been looking at express cruisers, notably the Sea Ray Sundancer 360. From 2002 - 2005, the Sundancer 360 had a LOA (with swim platform) of 39' 0". From 2006 - 2009, the Sundancer 38 had a LOA of 39' 0". In 2010, the Sundancer 390 had a LOA of 39' 0". Same LOA and beam (12' 6") for the Sundancer 360, 38, and 390! :ermm:

Jim

Curious - can someone rent/buy that slip and they put two boats in there that are less than the 75' total?

I sort of doubt it. They get their dander up when one leaves their dink in the water if your boat is in the slip.

It is what it is.

I have a 45' boat, 50' LOA. I've been measured and charged for 50' in a 48' slip. I have had a slip that was longer than the boat and charged the slip length. Most of the time when I get a transient slip, I get charged for 45' at an exorbitant price compared to the monthly rate (so they still make out). So what's my point?

If you like the boat, buy it regardless of how marinas measure it. If you can find dockage for it, be happy. In the annual cost of owning a boat, the difference between waterline length, deck length, and length overall is a negligible cost.

Ted

Gary,
We have seen many methods of reaching the fee for a slip - our boat is a Great Harbour 47 and most charge us 47 feet. A few marinas charge flat rate based on slip size 50', 55', 60'. And a fewer number of marinas do walk the length of the boat - often this is long face docks and they are trying to get as many boats into the marina for the night.
As far as a premium for boats over 40' - have not seen that. It is usually $/ft from small to large.

It is what it is.

Most of the time when I get a transient slip, I get charged for 45' at an exorbitant price compared to the monthly rate (so they still make out).

Ted

Not all, but many of the State supported marinas in Michigan are actually kept afloat by the long term "seasonal" renters. If they were allowed to do so, they'd prefer to fill every slip with a seasonal. The reason is that transient slips sit empty for much of the boating season...May, June, part of July, most of September, all of October. When fuel prices were high, transient slips were big time losers. Same for cold, rainy summers. So seasonal slip holders look askance at those transients who undersize their boats when making reservations or calling in on the radio. Some marina management tend to let the flim flammers slide because they don't want their town to get a rep for being hardnosed with transients. Doesn't mean they like it or don't know exactly what's going on.

That said, I agree that it's not a big expense in the world of boat ownership. LOA is pretty much the across the board number...why fudge on something so trivial.

I find it a little funny all the chat about not giving an accurate LOA since it takes maybe 15 seconds for someone to find it out over the Internet. The magical increase a while back was when industry was told to accurately represent the overall length. Nothing like buying a boat that is 6' longer than your slip.

What bums me out, with my 31' is when marinas charge by slips and jump from 30' right to 40' though maybe they would let me have a 30' like my home marina since my beam is narrow.

Here is what I have found boating over the years in NW Washington and the BC coast.
Most marinas charge the greater of slip length (not talking linear here) or LOA for long term moorage. LOA includes bow sprits, swim grids, dinghy in davits, etc.
For "side tie" or linear, they charge LOA, even though they need to leave a small amount of "empty" space both fore and aft that they don't charge for. This is both for long term or transient. Some marinas just "take your word" for your boat length. I don't have problems with telling them that I have a Nordic Tug 37 that is LOA of 40 feet and most marinas are fine with that. I have never physically measured, so I may actually be between 39 and 41, but 40 feet is very close as long as we are not "splitting hairs".

If a marina wants to take the time to go out and measure, I am OK with that and will pay what they ask for (unless they come up with a figure I know I am not - eg. 45 feet - never happened yet).
Many small out of the way marinas here in mid to northern BC only have a very short season to "make their money" and I would like them to still offer their services in the future, so I don't begrudge them their fees. If we try to "get away" with paying lower rates when we may not be entitled to them, then don't complain if some marinas go out of business or more start the practice of actually measuring and not believing us.
Just some thoughts,
Tom

YMMV in the east.
Here in the west, you will be charged for what you use.

Best example I have seen, cruising with friends who have a 61' trawler, registered vessel, so on the Reg papers it is identified as a 57' boat. Marina was asked for a transient space for a 57' boat. Marina responded with "tie at the head of the main dock"
There was exactly 57' at that location. 61 ft simply wouldn't fit.
Anchored that night.

My 44' has its anchor sticking out 2' at the bow, dinghy 6' at the stern, so 52 overall. That is what I pay for in transient moorage. In my home port shelter, I am in a space that is 55'x 20' including all of the water that is covered by the roof. I pay for all of it.

Putting two boats in a big slip is usually frowned on.
The only specific reason I’ve been told is that it dosn’t make the best use of the space.
I suppose it cost way more to provide 1/2 of a big slip that a slip 1/2 the size.
Just what I heard though.

I prefer to dock at places with free dockage. There are plenty of little towns in the vicinity of the ICW, the Bay, and other places that have free dockage to encourage tourists. Don't have to pay by the foot, but they still want to know the LOA of my boat so they know where to put us.

I am in the Pacific NW. Always been charged for LOA, and yes, they measure! My current 42 Nordic Tug actually measures about 50 feeti from tip to tip.

One slip, one boat is the rule at my home marina. Of course during hurricane season, (I go bow in) I would move the RIB from the davits around to and tucked against the bow and fill it about 1/2 way with water to give it weight.
When the weather clears, I move the RIB back to the davits, hook up and raise the RIB with the plug out draining it, a little at a time.
I had one dock worker tell me I could not do this because it breaks the 'one slip, one boat' rule.' I asked him to talk with the dock master. Never heard another word. Seems hurricane season has its own set of non-written, non-discussed rules. Part of the marina's rules for hurricane and big storm weather is to shut off the electric to all the boats and shut off the water. IF they would tell me before they shut the water off, I will gladly fill my water tank and have the cart come by and empty my sanitary tank. I'm good for at least a week. 3+ weeks if I am alone. Electric, on the batteries and inverter as necessary with the aid of the 2X130 solar panels. When and if necessary, I have no problem with starting the generator. A word of caution, start the generator.... the noise seems to attract those without power.... aka people in the condos. LOL I really dont mind provided they bring the food they want cooked. Coffee, canned milk and sugar, free if they bring a cup. Depending upon the weather, I will welcome folks on board to cool off in the A/C. There are a lot of folks much older than me who really need to be in the A/C. I dont mind and will house them, the best I can, until they can make other arrangements. They might hate my guts before (those trashy boat people) but I will do my best to care for them during power outages. When the electric comes back on, they can resume hating me. SHRUG

Well gfr51, you`ll have noticed there are "a range of views". One thing not mentioned is financial market influence. If the marina is less than full and keen to sell you the slip they may be more inclined to accept the nominated length, if the place is busy as, expect a man with a tape measure.
I heard of someone who recently added a wider swimstep and found the marina eyeing it,tape measure in hand. The marina recently changed hands, is about half full/empty,and the "vibe" is not good. I`m told he said, "if you charge me extra for that I`m out of here". Not sure how it turned out but you get the idea.

I bought my boat in the PNW, at Edmonds, and it came with grandfathered rights to a 50' slip. Luckily, as there was a 10 year wait list!

But the boat was 53' LOA when anchor and swim platform were included. They had long permitted the boat to be there, but charged pro-rata for the extra 3'. Fine. However, they were very fussy about not sticking out into the fairway. If the swim platform was even 6" beyond the piling I would get a call to move it in. Fortunately the bow is high, and the anchor was over 6' above the walkway, so the walkway overhang was not a hazard. I would not have been allowed to be stern-in, as that would have unavoidably had the bow overhang in the fairway.

Back here in Oz you will normally pay by slip length, and at most marina's will not be permitted to have any overhangs beyond slip length. At one marina last year they only had 15m and 20 m slips, nothing in between. I needed 16.5m (different anchor now), so had to go into, and pay for, 20m. Fine. The other marina in town has lots of 18m slips, so is the preferred one to use

Some slips, including the ones I own, have 18m listed as max boat length (LOA) on the title, but have shorter walkways. Mine are just 14.4m long. I think the strict rules about not impeding walkways (or fairways) will most likely come back to legal liability and insurance coverage/claim payment if there are any incidents. Your LOA (including overhangs) exceeding slip length will leave you exposed, no matter whoever is at fault. I think people are crazy to put themselves at risk by trying to fit somewhere that they really don't fit.

Last edited:
Let's face it, some marina are not judicious as to where they put the aft pilings.
When you rent or own a 55 ft slip, they are talking about the submerged land. Consider yourself lucky if your aft pilings are at 55ft.

It depends entirely on the specific marina. Some will charge you for the full, actual length from the forward most point to the after most point. Others in other ways. The only way to know for sure what you will be charged is to contact the specific marina.

How long is your boat? Answer: documented as....
We all know, if they come out with their measuring tape, we are screwed. SMIRK

I sort of doubt it. They get their dander up when one leaves their dink in the water if your boat is in the slip.

That is also interesting - so you really cannot use the 75' as you see fit for your boats ….only for one boat that is 75' or less.

That is also interesting - so you really cannot use the 75' as you see fit for your boats ….only for one boat that is 75' or less.

One slip, one boat. That seems to be the rule.

How long is your boat? Answer: documented as....
We all know, if they come out with their measuring tape, we are screwed. SMIRK

My 52 ft LOA boat is documented at 41.4 ft, which is the waterline length. I would be very happy to pay that. :)

I go to downtown Nashville and tie up at the Metro dock which charges by the foot in ranges. 35 to 45ft was one price and 45 to 55 was more . I always booked for a small 45ft.

Back
Top Bottom