Marina Slip availability in Central West Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mpstan

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Bella Rose
Vessel Make
1991 Ocean Alexander 42' Sedan
Hi friends,

In the PNW slip availability is very very tight, or at least it was last Fall. I would imagine it is the same everywhere but thought someone could give us a headsup regarding The West Coast of Florida, between Tampa and Fort Myers. If we were to vacate Washington, which is in vogue these days, and move to this area in Florida, what are my prospects for securing a slip for our dream trawler, 50-55'?

Thanks in advance

One of the biggest factors in determining Florida slip availability is how recently a major hurricane hit the area. Up here in my neck of the woods we will be over four years returning the area's three largest marinas post 2018's category five Hurricane Michael.

I would think Hurricanes would wreck more boats than slips, making slips more available. But I’ve never been near a hurricane

Last edited:
I would think Hurricanes would wreck more boats than slips, making slips more available. But I’ve never been near a hurricane

Believe you me a cat five changes the landscape!

From personal experience I know that slips in this area are almost non-existent. The usually available marinas that are more out of the way (ie Burnt Store) are full. The desirable ones in Bradenton / Palmetto area have record length waiting lists. A few of the smaller marinas near Boca Grande may have openings, but usually for smaller boats than 50 - 55 ft LOA.

One marina operator told me the other day it's the longest wait list they've ever had, AND that their normal Canadian seasonal customers were still absent this year. With Canada loosening restrictions now, and their expected return this year, the marinas are sure to be overflowing.

We looked at slip purchase on Longboat Key - there are a few on the market but pricing is now $100K above asking price this time last year.

We were fortunate to be allowed to keep the slip our soon-to-be-ours boat is in. We also know that if we go cruising up north this summer, the only way to be sure of a slip when we return is to pay for it all year long.

There's quite a squeeze going on. By all means secure the slip BEFORE you buy. Checking during the heat of summer may help as the seasonal folks will be gone.

Last edited:
A few years ago a friend with a 52-foot power cat gave up looking for an affordable slip - $2400/mo plus utilities was best he could find in Longboat Key. He ended up buying a house on the water in North Redington Beach near Clearwater/St Pete. Turned out well - he has over doubled his money in the last couple years.

Desire able slips are hard to find everywhere. Truth is, it's easier to build boats than marinas. Fewer barriers too.

I moved to Florida 17 years ago from San Francisco. I liked San Francisco but sure like the weather in Florida. 82-defrees and sunny as write this.

Peter

Fort Myers winter seasonal availability is probably nonexistent. There is some availability for annual leases if you look between April 1st and June 30th. That seems to be the musical chairs window these days.

There are few marinas that have owner slips in the size you're looking for, with the lack of availability for lease, the price of condo slips has gone through the roof with almost zero availability. I purchased my 50' slip in 2020 in one of the nicest, most well protected marinas on the Caloosahatchee river, for mid $70K. Same size slip 5 down from me was just listed at $250K. Several have sold over $200K.

Locals cruising to the Bahamas this winter and quite a few planning to go this Spring, may mark the beginning of migrational change. If we don't get a resurgence of covid this year and higher interest rates start tightening people's discretionary spending, SWFL dockage could be very different next winter.

Ted

So many buy a boat before locating a slip in an area they want.
I am not sure of available buoys. Even though I have been broken into while in this marina and robbed of my wallet with the cash, I rather be in a marina than in an anchorage with or without buoys.

As other have said, open slips are almost non-existent, when we were looking last year we called every marina from Bradenton to Fort Myers with no luck. We were put on wait lists, followed up and have never received a call. Fortunately we lucked into a slip in Punta Gorda.

The sad thing is, is that if just SOME of the boats that sit as dock queens went away, there would be plenty of slips available!:nonono:

If I were to sell one of my slip I would over price it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom