Old 03-26-2019, 02:17 PM   #1

City: Fort Myers, FL
Vessel Name: WIXHAUSEN
Vessel Model: Jefferson 42
Marina Frustration

For two months I have been in contact with the Legacy Marina in Fort Myers to bring our new (to us) boat to the marina to live-aboard.

I even went in twice this week and spoke with them. All along they said no problem and even assigned me a dock.

Today I get an email that says the are not doing live a boards at this time. The boat is splashed on Friday.

Luckily I found a friendlier marina.

Rondalw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:28 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
That's surprising. Legacy usually has a large snowbird population in the winter. Some marinas differentiate between "live aboard (full time year round)" verses "Snowbird (seasonal transient)".

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:05 PM   #3

City: Montgomery, Tx
Vessel Name: Choices
Vessel Model: 36 Grand Banks Europa
Never say live aboard unless you are staying there as your home for a year.

You are a transient, with a lay over in: days, weeks, months.....

Costs a little more sometimes, but the headaches go away.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:47 AM   #4

City: Smithfield
Could be the City of Fort Myers has changed their stance on “liveaboards”. I looked all over the area for a slip a past winter and discovered that the Cape Coral side of the river had very strict live aboard rules. We could not stay on board for more than a week I think. If I remember correctly Cape Coral City Marina could take a limited amount of liveaboards.
motoryacht lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Ft. Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Hannah Jane
Vessel Model: 2000 Grand Banks 42 Classic
I've had my boat at Legacy for 3 years. I've been living on her for the past two months. Some folks are here for lots longer. They used to do an annual lease, but I think they stopped that. But they still do it on a monthly basis. Not sure what happened in your case, but folks here think the staff is pretty darn good and accommodating.
FBoykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:25 PM   #6

Thanks all. We are live aboard year round. We have a slip at another marina in Fort Myers. Basically we just need a base camp to venture from.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:33 PM   #7
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoryacht lover View Post
Could be the City of Fort Myers has changed their stance on “liveaboards”. I looked all over the area for a slip a past winter and discovered that the Cape Coral side of the river had very strict live aboard rules. We could not stay on board for more than a week I think. If I remember correctly Cape Coral City Marina could take a limited amount of liveaboards.
I do not live on my boat. I 'stays' on my boat. These slips are considered condo slips. Initially, the rules said, the owners or renters could not stay longer than a week on their boat. I followed the rules exactly. You see, the rules did not say how long the owner has to be off the boat for the 'clock to reset', so at least once a week I would get off the boat and go grocery shopping. Then there is the other times I leave the boat for a couple of hours. I follow the letter of the law. Plus I currently own 2 slips in the marina. I guess I could just move the boat between slips once a week. SMILE

In FL if a marina even tries to approach a live aboard status, they have to provide a way of removing waste from the boat.

I am flexible... I can take the boat out 2 miles, turn on sanitary discharge pump for about a minute and I am empty. Gives the boat and the engines and systems a bit of exercise too.

Dont let the system get you down.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:05 PM   #8
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
I have stayed at some places long-term where live-aboards are prohibited either by marina or town ordinance. I never said that I was going to live-aboard. Stay-aboard might be a better term. I dont think that I have been at a marina that has ever watched anyone closely. Of course if you piss someone off it might not end well. I just think its funny that some marinas have no problems accepting long-term transients but won't take a "live-aboard". I think marinas are more so scared of a derelict boat ending up on their property. I have seen some marinas get smart and require that boats must be in running condition subject to annual inspection/verification and must meet minimum visual upkeep. I think that is smart. I wouldnt want to be in a marina with boats that havent moved in years and are leaking electricity into my boat because they have hazardous electrical.
mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:33 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post
I have stayed at some places long-term where live-aboards are prohibited either by marina or town ordinance. I never said that I was going to live-aboard. Stay-aboard might be a better term. I dont think that I have been at a marina that has ever watched anyone closely. Of course if you piss someone off it might not end well. I just think its funny that some marinas have no problems accepting long-term transients but won't take a "live-aboard". I think marinas are more so scared of a derelict boat ending up on their property. I have seen some marinas get smart and require that boats must be in running condition subject to annual inspection/verification and must meet minimum visual upkeep. I think that is smart. I wouldnt want to be in a marina with boats that havent moved in years and are leaking electricity into my boat because they have hazardous electrical.
I suspect your non-live-aboard marina maintains records of when they pump your sanitary tank. They can show that to anyone in authority.

You are correct, every marina is worried about derelict boats.

Miami had a long term anchorage.... Some boats had been there so long, there were big holes in the side of the boats. I suspect some have sunk at the mooring buoys. Others were in process of sinking
Other boats, anchor and owner either dies or disappear.
Miami is finally taking action..... If they cant locate the owner and the boat is in disrepair, now they go to the court to get the necessary permission to remove the boat and put it in a pile with the other derelicts
Old 03-28-2019, 09:46 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
I suspect your non-live-aboard marina maintains records of when they pump your sanitary tank. They can show that to anyone in authority.

You are correct, every marina is worried about derelict boats.

Miami had a long term anchorage.... Some boats had been there so long, there were big holes in the side of the boats. I suspect some have sunk at the mooring buoys. Others were in process of sinking
Other boats, anchor and owner either dies or disappear.
Miami is finally taking action..... If they cant locate the owner and the boat is in disrepair, now they go to the court to get the necessary permission to remove the boat and put it in a pile with the other derelicts
I don't think that most marinas keep records of pump outs, especially the free or self-service ones. Also many marinas do not have their own pump out. Some times you call a boat to come pump you out or you have to go to another marina.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:40 PM   #11
Guru

City: Whitby, Ontario
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondalw1 View Post
Thanks all. We are live aboard year round. We have a slip at another marina in Fort Myers. Basically we just need a base camp to venture from.
No, No, No .... you are not a liveaboard. You are a transient cruiser. This distinction can make a huge difference in many Florida Marinas.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:26 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post
I don't think that most marinas keep records of pump outs, especially the free or self-service ones. Also many marinas do not have their own pump out. Some times you call a boat to come pump you out or you have to go to another marina.
I would encourage you to maintain a pump out log, if the marina does not, in case there is a dispute with the environment folks.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:53 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
I would encourage you to maintain a pump out log, if the marina does not, in case there is a dispute with the environment folks.
Not worried about that and do not know anyone that maintains a pump out log

In any event, while I do have overboard discharge, the system is decommissioned, disconnected, and winterized at all times.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:39 AM   #14
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
No, No, No .... you are not a liveaboard. You are a transient cruiser. This distinction can make a huge difference in many Florida Marinas.
Ortega Landing Marina in Jacksonville doesn’t have “liveaboard” slips, they have “Full-time” cruiser slips. (rates are monthly from their rate sheet and no time limit)

$13.00/slip foot: Power and Sail - Non “Full-Time Cruisers”

$17.00/slip foot: Power and Sail - “Full-Time Cruiser”
(Full Time Cruiser rates include two free pump-outs per month)
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:44 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Ortega Landing Marina in Jacksonville doesn’t have “liveaboard” slips, they have “Full-time” cruiser slips. (rates are monthly from their rate sheet and no time limit)

$13.00/slip foot: Power and Sail - Non “Full-Time Cruisers”

$17.00/slip foot: Power and Sail - “Full-Time Cruiser”
(Full Time Cruiser rates include two free pump-outs per month)
Interesting

I probably would've assumed that full-time cruiser means one is away more often thus the slip is open when they are away for them to rent out to transients thus the price should be less not more $$
Old 03-29-2019, 11:32 AM   #16
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
I think it’s all semantics. The marina’s definition is 10 days per month or less to be be considered Non-full time cruiser. There boats that have been here for 5 years or longer and have never left the dock. They are considered Full time cruisers. It maybe on how the marina was permitted in the early 2000s and FL law?
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:58 AM   #17
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
I am flexible... I can take the boat out 2 miles, turn on sanitary discharge pump for about a minute and I am empty. Gives the boat and the engines and systems a bit of exercise too.

Dont let the system get you down.

You do mean at least 3 miles......
Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 05:46 PM   #18

Marina

The Marina I am now going to be at has no problem with name live aboard. They are very happy to have live aboard folks.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:26 PM   #19

City: Florida
What marina are you going to if you don’t mind me asking.
SouthFloridaLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:02 PM   #20

I sent you PM