Old 05-30-2019, 07:02 PM   #1
Guru

City: Savannah, Ga.
Vessel Name: Indigo Star
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 400
Mainship 400 Charter Anchorages around Fort Myers?

Hello,

My wife and I are shopping for a Mainship 400 and to confirm that this is the right boat for us we have booked a 4 day bareboat charter in 2 weeks in the Cape Coral/Fort Myers area.

We would like to anchor more so than fuss with marinas and was wondering if I could get some suggestions on where to anchor in that area.

I believe the charter outfit does have some area limits that they restrict the boat, no big deal as we dont plan to spend the whole time moving, just a mix to make sure its right for us.

Any and all comments welcome.

Thanks.
Jeff in Savannah
jefndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:29 PM   #2
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
In the immediate area, the bight off Ding Darling, and everyone's favorite, Pelican Bay off Cayo Costa are two of our all time faves. Does the boat come with a dinghy? How far afield are you planning? As you venture further south, the options are almost unlimited.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:07 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I'd mix in at least one night at a Marina. It will give you more insight into docking and line handling, aside from the initial departure and return. I'd also try to dock side tied, like a gas dock for a pump out. Run through the motions for the major aspects of how you'll be handling the boat.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:12 AM   #4
Guru

Great idea... which marina is recommended?
Old 05-31-2019, 09:13 AM   #5
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
A dock and not an anchorage, but if you're chartering from Southwest Florida Yachts then a stop at Useppa Island is a nice experience.
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:58 AM   #6

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Tender
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
Jeff,
Pelican bay is one of the best spots. We kept Tender at Burnt Store Marina during the winter, and visited all around there. The islands going along the way to Pelican are fantastic. And you must stop by Cabbage key for lunch.
deesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:07 AM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Cayo Costa is a great choice, I usually go there a couple of time a year to getaway. There is a park to walk through and a modest dinghy ride to be out in the Gulf. Something else to consider: you can take the ICW from Fort Myers to Cayo Costa or go out in the Gulf. If I were considering a new boat and chartering to see how I liked it, doing a trip up or back out in the Gulf might give you an opportunity to see how the boat handles and feels in seas. Not suggesting you go out in big seas, but 2 to 3' might give you an appreciation for how it will ride. The ICW between Cayo Costa and Fort Myers is fairly protected. If the weather turns while you're there, 15 to 20 knot winds will give you a very manageable chop behind the barrier islands.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:54 AM   #8
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I would also anchor at Boca Grande. Drop your anchor in the middle of the little basin in front of the golf course and near The Pink Elephant. There are 5 County dinghy slips and another 5 dedicated to the PE.

BG is a very nice upscale little town you can walk to from the dinghy dock.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:57 PM   #9

City: Marietta
Vessel Model: Cobalt 246
You got great advice from each of these posts. FYI, at South Seas Plantation all the slips are side-tie and it's the nicest marina anywhere. Useppa is a great place to dock for the night and Barb at SWFY can get you in as she is a member.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:52 PM   #10
Guru

Great information and thanks to all who chime'd in...I also see the city of Fort Myers has first come first serve mooring balls ....might give those a try..our charter will be during the mid week so maybe we will get one for a night...wondering if we should go there first from the Tarpon point marina or go north to the state park Pelican Bay area..???
Old 06-03-2019, 06:46 AM   #11
FF
Guru

Gulfport might be within range, , one of our favorite anchorages.

Farmers market on Thursday .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:15 PM   #12
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefndeb View Post
Great information and thanks to all who chime'd in...I also see the city of Fort Myers has first come first serve mooring balls ....might give those a try..our charter will be during the mid week so maybe we will get one for a night...wondering if we should go there first from the Tarpon point marina or go north to the state park Pelican Bay area..???
Depending on weather, I would go North to Pelican Bay first. Much longer run.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:29 PM   #13
Guru

Thanks to all,...maybe Useppi tomorrow ,,we are anchored here in Pelican Bay...very nice.

Made the deposit on a 2006 Mainship 400 yesterday.....looking at the survey around June 27th...then based on the results, get stuff fixed and then close and start moving north to Savannah...through the Lake Okeechobee....

This charter had already been booked so we said if anything it would be a very good way to get some sea time before we take ours north...

The surveyor said all we need is a short haul...no need to let the paint dry.....

Is that true?
Old 06-13-2019, 08:04 AM   #14

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Tender
Congratulations on the purchase. Sorry it was not ours. Yes, if you paint the bottom, let it dry over night first....
D

Tender, 2006 Mainship 400
deesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:56 PM   #15
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefndeb View Post

The surveyor said all we need is a short haul...no need to let the paint dry.....
You're not painting the hull during the short haul are you?

I assume he's talking about hauling for the hull survey. In which case, a short-haul should be enough to tap on teh hull and inspect the through hulls and running gear. (I suspect it is 'tongue in cheek' meaning "It'll be so quick the paint won't have time to dry").
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:23 PM   #16

City: Sassafras River, Maryland
Vessel Name: Seventh Sojourn
Congrats on the new (soon) boat. We bought our 400 in September and just love it so far. We keep it in the upper Chesapeake. PM me if you have any specific questions.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most. E.B. White
garmstro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:38 PM   #17
Guru

Yes, the surveyor said a short haul is all that is needed other than the sea trial....I already saw a few things I would like addressed...such as corrosion at the windless terminals and what looks like a water leak/corrosion on the genset impeller?...not sure,

The boat was hauled and painted last march so wouldn't think new paint would be needed..the cutlass bearing was also replaced...

The items that do not work are the water tank sensor and the upper deck ice maker...not really worried about the ice maker but should I request the water sensor be replaced even thought it has been already disclosed?

Thanks

So are the issues he reports something the owner and I discuss as far as what gets fixed and what does not?.....
Old 06-14-2019, 10:49 AM   #18

City: Sassafras River, Maryland
Vessel Name: Seventh Sojourn
My water gauge is a bit flaky, it has a toggle switch for the port and starboard water tanks, you probably have the same thing. Sometimes it only registers on the starboard tank and not the port even though I know there's water in it. Sometimes it registers both correctly. Not sure why that is, but maybe yours behaves the same way. The PO and the surveyor both told me the two tanks are self-leveling, i.e. there is a crossover that evens out the volume so that the two tanks have equal amounts of water (I suppose so the boat doesn't list).

As far as the deficiencies, you can ask the seller to fix them or ask for money off the selling price. Or, I guess you can take the boat as-is, but you can usually get a concession on the price when deficiencies are found.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most. E.B. White
garmstro55 is offline   Reply With Quote