Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-05-2017, 07:10 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Steve91T's Avatar
 
City: Huntersville NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Knotty Girl
Vessel Model: Mainship 31 Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 130
Looking for recommendations in Myrtle Beach...

We are currently month to month at the Grande Dunes. This Saturday we are heading down to the Boat to spend the weekend on it. We want to spend at least a few hours at the beach one afternoon, but other than that we would like to have somewhere cool to take the boat. Are there any restaurants along the ICW that have good food and a decent night life? Maybe something with an outdoor area so our 3 year old can run around and play? Also Iíd love to spend the night on the hook. This will be our first time and I canít wait. Doesnít seem like many good places to anchor in that area. Itíd be really neat if there was something near the reataurant so when we are done with dinner, we go somewhere and throw the anchor.

Let me know if any of you have any recommendations.
Thanks!
Steve
__________________
Advertisement

Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:05 PM   #2
Guru
 
caltexflanc's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina for now
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,600
The Waccamaw river and tributaries are beautiful; we liked to anchor for a day or two in Bull Creek.
__________________

__________________
George

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:42 PM   #3
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,547
Barefoot Landing area has a whole array of shops and restaurants. Stay for a night or I do believe tbey have a several hour rate.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:33 AM   #4
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 12,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Barefoot Landing area has a whole array of shops and restaurants. Stay for a night or I do believe tbey have a several hour rate.
+1

And don't overlook Ruth's Chris. Also, the restaurants in the Grande Dunes Resort property if you can get into them are good.

Then others throughout town but not on the water.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:21 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Steve91T's Avatar
 
City: Huntersville NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Knotty Girl
Vessel Model: Mainship 31 Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 130
Theres another hurricane coming? Of course there is, hasnít rained in a month and the one weekend we have to spend in the boat, thereís going to be a hurricane.

I just hope more people donít get hurt

Thanks guys for the recommendations. Maybe weíll try again next time.
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:16 PM   #6
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 12,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
Theres another hurricane coming? Of course there is, hasnít rained in a month and the one weekend we have to spend in the boat, thereís going to be a hurricane.

I just hope more people donít get hurt

Thanks guys for the recommendations. Maybe weíll try again next time.
How is the hurricane affecting you?

Now I do feel for those along the gulf coast and hope it's not too bad.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:42 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Steve91T's Avatar
 
City: Huntersville NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Knotty Girl
Vessel Model: Mainship 31 Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
How is the hurricane affecting you?

Now I do feel for those along the gulf coast and hope it's not too bad.
Oh itís not, just going to be a wet weekend. Nothing like those in its path are experiencing
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:47 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
City: Mississippi
Country: USA
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 167
Yep, looks like this one (Nate) is headed our way
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:58 PM   #9
Guru
 
City: East Coast
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
We are currently month to month at the Grande Dunes. This Saturday we are heading down to the Boat to spend the weekend on it. We want to spend at least a few hours at the beach one afternoon, but other than that we would like to have somewhere cool to take the boat. Are there any restaurants along the ICW that have good food and a decent night life? Maybe something with an outdoor area so our 3 year old can run around and play? Also I’d love to spend the night on the hook. This will be our first time and I can’t wait. Doesn’t seem like many good places to anchor in that area. It’d be really neat if there was something near the reataurant so when we are done with dinner, we go somewhere and throw the anchor.

Let me know if any of you have any recommendations.
Thanks!
Steve
As someone else pointed out, the Waccamaw River is one of the most beautiful cruising and anchoring areas on the entire AICW. Head south from where you are.

Bucksport Plantation Marina and the Wacca Wache Marina are right on the ICW and have restaurants. You can anchor within a few hundred yards of either.

If you go south of Wacca Wache Marina, you will find Thourgofare Creek on your right just past a bend in the river. Go into the creek about a mile and you will find a large sandy hill and beach where your kid can play and swim. There have been reports of alligators so keep that in mind when considering swimming. If it's a warm weekend, there may be other people boating and swimming there and the alligators will stay away. There are hiking trails on the island also.

If you are on Active Captain, look at the views of the area and the marinas and anchorages.
WesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:39 PM   #10
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 12,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
Oh itís not, just going to be a wet weekend. Nothing like those in its path are experiencing
What weather forecast are you looking at? Accuweather for Saturday. A couple of showers. 0.09 inches of rain. For Sunday, Cloudy, a thunderstorm in spots. 0.25 inches.

Weather.com the same, probability of rain 40% and even then brief. Not trying to push you into the rain, but we'd sure be there.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:43 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Steve91T's Avatar
 
City: Huntersville NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Knotty Girl
Vessel Model: Mainship 31 Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
What weather forecast are you looking at? Accuweather for Saturday. A couple of showers. 0.09 inches of rain. For Sunday, Cloudy, a thunderstorm in spots. 0.25 inches.

Weather.com the same, probability of rain 40% and even then brief. Not trying to push you into the rain, but we'd sure be there.
Oh weíre still going.
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:00 AM   #12
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 12,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91T View Post
Oh weíre still going.
Well, where we are right now the rains from the hurricane start tomorrow afternoon.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:18 PM   #13
Member
 
NC-Ray's Avatar
 
City: Little River, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Last Resort
Vessel Model: Hyatt 40 Sundeck
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 16
Lots of good ideas.. We are at the Myrtle Beach Yacht Club and lived in Huntersville until 2005. We also owned a MS 31 SB. We have the Officer's Club Restaurant here. It's private but you can just be our Guest. Snooky's at Cricket Cove is good. Ian's under the Hiway 17 bridge but only can dock one or two boats. Filet's at Harbourgate and Boardwalk Billy's at Doc Holidays. Both of those is better for nightlife. Georgetown has a nice boardwalk with a lot of funky places. Google "Savannah's Place" playground. It is not on the water and is near Market Common in MB. It is an amazing place and your child would love it..

Ray and Kim
MBYC
NC-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:13 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Steve91T's Avatar
 
City: Huntersville NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Knotty Girl
Vessel Model: Mainship 31 Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 130
Awesome trip....pics and story coming later.
__________________

Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012