Old 09-05-2014, 10:09 AM   #21
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Well I can see how the Yuengling would be a bonus. Meeting me, some would say perhaps not so much.

But it was a pleasure meeting you two as well George.

Best to both.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:38 AM   #22
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Miami International Airport= Cuban coffee by Versailles near front doors for seventy five cents. End of argument.

Here's a great concern for the New River; If those pendaoes get the All Aboard Florida thing built like they seem assured of doing (hard to fight China) they will be running 32 passenger trains a day PLUS 20 MORE freight trains each 2 miles long across the New River at the bridge near Andrews Blvd. Considering it takes 20 minutes to open and close it you -do the math.
Same at Loxahatchee in Jupiter, and same at St. Lucie in Stuart. In Stuart ALL those trains will be running 24 hours a day right smack beside and in front of what marina? Loggerhead. Hope you like train horns.
Floridanotallboard.com has the facts. I recommend ALL boaters sign the petition, and make the calls to our Governor. This will spell the end of boating west of any of these bridges unless you have an air draft of 7'. They expect to be running by 2015.

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:25 AM   #23

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: Inspiration
Vessel Model: 420DB
Tucker,
I appreciate the offer and the dock source tip. I'll be checking the online classifieds periodically.

George,
Thanks for navigational heads up. You bring up great point, but IMO, if a captain has a hard time navigating a small section of a canal/river, he shouldn't attempt to make 1200NM run getting there.

Miami is a great alternative. When we've stayed in FTL last time, we just ran out of time searching for marinas between Stuart and FTL. For now my approach is, if we end up staying in FTL, Miami will be one of the primary local destinations.
Alex F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:34 AM   #24

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
Alex,
if you do decide on Marina Bay or Yacht Haven give me 24 hours notice and will ride up the New River with you as a no charge river pilot. Every now and then I sell a boat to someone from the forums and that would be a good way to give some pay back.
Yacht Haven is unique, it is an RV park with canals with dockage. Small friendly place, but a car is needed to get anywhere except a few restaurants.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:24 PM   #25
Guru

Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Tucker, what are all you marine businesses west of the FEC tracks doing about the All Aboard Florida plan? ! Martin County marine interests are all on top of this with lawyers, and meetings with the Governor. We've heard nothing from Broward County. Why not? I mean, you must be aware?Although I spoke to the gm of Lexus of North Miami who are separated from Biscayne Blvd., by these same tracks and they hadn't heard about it either. It's rather hush hush on purpose. Mayor of Ft. Lauderdale was against it, but they promised him a station, so now he's an advocate too. This will wipe out the marine intersts and real estate values it's whole length.
I mean who in 2015 wouldn't want to take a train from downtown Miami to the AIRPORT in Orlando? Mind you these tracks go through Ft. Lauderdale Airport, but no stops there. (!!!!)

Old 09-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothouse king View Post
I hate Broward County, can you tell? Just a second rate suburb of Miami. Lol
Wifey B: Then just keep your a... out of it....hehe.

We love Fort Lauderdale. More for boaters here than anywhere else. Dock at Las Olas and you're on the Beach. Bahia Mar and everything near. Moor at Las Olas. Anchor many places. Even dock along New River and enjoy the city. Great marinas in Dania. Loggerhead cool. But we cater to boaters and their families. Plus easy to get out at Port Everglades and go see the world, not be stuck just in a ditch.

Now unlike you, we would never bash our neighbors. We love Miami and West Palm. If you want more calm then West Palm would be great. Some wonderful marinas there. If you want excitement, Miami has it. We love South Beach but then you'll have to decide if a topless beach is right for your family.

God, there are so many wonderful places in South Florida. We love them all.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:06 PM   #27
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Tucker, what are all you marine businesses west of the FEC tracks doing about the All Aboard Florida plan? ! Martin County marine interests are all on top of this with lawyers, and meetings with the Governor. We've heard nothing from Broward County. Why not? I mean, you must be aware?Although I spoke to the gm of Lexus of North Miami who are separated from Biscayne Blvd., by these same tracks and they hadn't heard about it either. It's rather hush hush on purpose. Mayor of Ft. Lauderdale was against it, but they promised him a station, so now he's an advocate too. This will wipe out the marine intersts and real estate values it's whole length.
I mean who in 2015 wouldn't want to take a train from downtown Miami to the AIRPORT in Orlando? Mind you these tracks go through Ft. Lauderdale Airport, but no stops there. (!!!!)
Funny thing but I was talking to my parents about the train last week. Dumb idea to say the least. Who do they think is going to ride the train?

The traffic jams caused by this are going to be huge. There is going to be a big blow back if this goes though, not only from the boating interests, but from people who have to cross the rail road tracks.

Given that South FLA has horrible traffic, this is just going to make things even worse.

Later,
Dan
dannc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:51 PM   #28
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Miami International Airport= Cuban coffee by Versailles near front doors for seventy five cents. End of argument.
Yep let's get those kids on that stuff right away...

I signed the petition awhile ago. As for Andrews Avenue, actually I have timed it an it takes more like 10, often less; we have had it opening for us when we got there, due to calling the bridge(s) ahead of it and advising we were coming all the way down or up. Unless of course it is closed for rush hour.

Quote:
You bring up great point, but IMO, if a captain has a hard time navigating a small section of a canal/river, he shouldn't attempt to make 1200NM run getting there
That's what I thought too. It's different; you'll see! Take Tucker up on his offer if you can. It's worth the cruise no matter what.

I'll give you one of a few applicable hints: extremely experienced captains of 80 ft+ transoceanic yachts, who have navigated many, many rivers and canals arrange to have said yacht towed up and down the river using two tow boats, bow and stern, pointed in each way.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:35 PM   #29
Guru

It's the railroad bridge that will be the issue with over 50 new trains a day.
The one's next to I-95 will operate as at present.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Wifey B: We don't drink coffee....End of Argument.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:14 PM   #31
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Funny thing but I was talking to my parents about the train last week. Dumb idea to say the least. Who do they think is going to ride the train?

The traffic jams caused by this are going to be huge. There is going to be a big blow back if this goes though, not only from the boating interests, but from people who have to cross the rail road tracks.

Given that South FLA has horrible traffic, this is just going to make things even worse.

Later,
Dan
but, but, but, everyone will be riding the train. You will only use your car to get to the park and ride. See, traffic jambs will evaporate. It will all be wonderful. Uh oh, wake me up I'm dreaming again.

The truth is that rail travel in the US is a boondoggle. Believe me big money changes hands for the major players. The public winds up holding the bag. 99% of the projects never meet their goals, and many don't even achieve much over 10% of promised riders. When you have big equipment suppliers, political contributions, and union jobs this is what happens.

Somebody talk me down.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:57 PM   #32
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
The RR bridge is typically 10 minutes from close to open as well. Seems like an eternity while you are standing off in the midst of everything else going on. That's why i put a watch to all the bridges along there for the mere fact I had nothing else to do while waiting and was curious. But I strongly agree the extra trains would be a major PITA to deal with. It's hard to get much empathy from the public, one train car will likely hold as many people as two hours worth of boats, other than when the Jungle Queen has a full slate.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:43 PM   #33
Guru

There's supposed to be only 3 cars per train, but 32 times a day, and they'll be traveling between 79 -129 mph on those old tracks, across those old wood bridges (no, they're not replacing them-what do you want for our $1.8 billion dollar loan they seek?), it's the 2 mile long lumbering freight trains being the TRUE issue of concern. This passenger thing is just the diversion for the public dumb enough to think people will want to take a train (other than Amtrak, which already goes directly to downtown ) to the AIRPORT in Orlando. People with an ounce of common sense realize that tourists will just continue in whatever medium brought them to Florida. If flying in from South America, they will just fly there direct, as they now do, and if they drove here in their own car, they'll continue in their own car.
It's those 12,000 container ships that'll be coming to the two ports once the Panama Canal is finished being widened. My son has been on the dredge in Miami for months now. This is real. To give you an idea of the size of these new ships-the biggest ones now coming to either port carry only 4,000 containers. Containers of WHAT you ask?
Junk from China. How many of you are aware of the new canal being dug by China in Nicaragua right NOW? Very hush hush.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
The RR bridge is typically 10 minutes from close to open as well. Seems like an eternity while you are standing off in the midst of everything else going on. That's why i put a watch to all the bridges along there for the mere fact I had nothing else to do while waiting and was curious. But I strongly agree the extra trains would be a major PITA to deal with. It's hard to get much empathy from the public, one train car will likely hold as many people as two hours worth of boats, other than when the Jungle Queen has a full slate.
We're against them, have voiced that, but if they come we'll find a way to live with them, just like we do rush hour. And remember all the times 50 cars have lined up at a bridge waiting for one boat to go through. It would be a lot easier if all the bridges were just 65' but that's not the way it is. If I felt the trains would get huge use and benefit a lot of people then I might feel different, but I don't see that happening.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #35

City: Nokomis
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtbrokerguy View Post
Alex,
if you do decide on Marina Bay or Yacht Haven give me 24 hours notice and will ride up the New River with you as a no charge river pilot. Every now and then I sell a boat to someone from the forums and that would be a good way to give some pay back.
I would take him up on that offer.

harbor950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:50 PM   #36
Guru

If enough people speak out against this plan, and expose it for what it is -a benefit for the Republic of China, it CAN be stopped. How about terrorism? 180 miles of unprotected tracks and kids going to the mouse isn't a terrorist dream? 180 miles runing smack through residential neighborhoods and slicing right through the downtowns of dozens of towns?
Heck, a kid can derail a train with just scrap metal. Imagine what torches and explosives can do?
Remember the Sunshine Skyway? That was a new modern bridge. THESE tracks go over 3 old (one 100 years old) wood bridges over 3 rivers, 2 very wide and totally unsecured. One drunk with a barge can knock 2 of them down. The problem is so few people are aware of these plans.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:44 PM   #37

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: Inspiration
Vessel Model: 420DB
Quote:
Originally Posted by harbor950 View Post
I would take him up on that offer.

Very cool video clip. Thank you for sharing.
Alex F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #38
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Miami International Airport= Cuban coffee free at Hopkins-Carter Marine. Dinghy dock available. End of argument.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:59 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Miami International Airport= Cuban coffee free at Hopkins-Carter Marine. Dinghy dock available. End of argument.
Wifey B: Just coming to the world famous Hopkins-Carter Marine Dinghy Dock, otherwise known at HCMDD in the PM is end of argument....
Old 09-06-2014, 01:16 AM   #40
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
"How many of you are aware of the new canal being dug by China in Nicaragua right NOW? Very hush hush."

If by being dug right "NOW" you mean to say they have yet to break ground in any significant way. And if by "very hush hush" you mean to say it's been and still is in the news quite regularly, then you're right on the money.

Why the Plan to Dig a Canal Across Nicaragua Could Be a Very Bad Idea | Science | WIRED
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote